Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 15:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I'm not saying pork rinds are a health food, but if they really have only half a gram of omega 6 fat per serving, that doesn't really sound like very much. The brand I'm familiar with (inexpensive Walmart offering) doesn't list anything but the pork stuff and salt, so I'm guessing it's fried in its own rendered fat. Pork, at least conventional corn-fed, does tend to be a bit on the higher side in omega 6 at least compared to beef.

Same kind I get. I found out I can't eat too much as it gives me indigestion (chicken skin does the same), so it's self-limiting. It's nice to have some crunch once in a while, isn't it?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-19, 05:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Teaser, I am so pleased that you share these finer points with us, because I fell into the same trap: cranking the scope so close I missed how all these elements work together.

The fine-grained distinctions might mean nothing when we look at real foods as humans actually eat it

In my case, I started noticing that store-bought salad dressings and deep fried stuff made my rosacea flare. Now that problem is actually gone! Stress brought on other autoimmune issues, but I am sticking to the fact that my body does react to seed oils; enough that I either make my own mayo (easy with a mason jar and immersion blender!) or get the avocado-oil based Primal Mayo, a creation of Mark Sisson’s I really like.

It is always worth it to read labels and find out what we are really getting. This can be a clue to otherwise baffling stalls and roadblocks.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-19, 07:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
In my case, I started noticing that store-bought salad dressings and deep fried stuff made my rosacea flare.

Years ago I loved store-bought dressings, then as I changed my diet I found out I couldn't stand the taste. What I also found out is that dairy - especially cheese because that's what I binge on - will make my eczema worse.

Why is it the things we love that make us feel worse?
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-19, 08:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Years ago I loved store-bought dressings, then as I changed my diet I found out I couldn't stand the taste. What I also found out is that dairy - especially cheese because that's what I binge on - will make my eczema worse.

Why is it the things we love that make us feel worse?

I have come to wonder if we do “love” something, when some thing does not love us back.

We might be using the wrong words for this concept, which then makes us think of it in wrong ways. Eating certain foods make us want MORE of them: which isn’t what foods are supposed to do! My current plan, VLC aka Ketosis, is Atkins Induction with a Paleo spin (no seed oils or Frankenfoods, eliminate most artificial sweeteners, simple and fresh focus) has revamped my relationship with food.

I eat something, it SATISFIES ME, and I don’t want to eat again until I’m really hungry.

Now, that is the way food should behave. Eating a food and triggering a craving to eat more and more of it... that’s more like... an addictive drug.

There’s science behind that assertion. Wheat uses opiod receptors in the brain, and sugar increases dopamine. As a highly stressed, poverty-stricken teen, I got hooked on the drugs I could afford: candy, pizza, ice cream, cake. They worked: I felt better and calmer. But only temporarily, and they made me fat and sick and gave me a binge-eating disorder.

Now, I only love a food when that food loves me back: it nourishes me, satisfies me, and lets me do my own thing until we meet again. Like a good life partner should

Those other “foods”? They are like that date who seems sooooo nice and sooooo great until we find out they are manipulative liars who only care about themselves. All of us can find it difficult to ditch them when we only think about how great they were... when they were conning us.

Dump the bad dates. Dump the bad foods. Their promises don’t come true in the way we really want them to.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-19, 08:55

BF:

Quote:
I have come to wonder if we do “love” something, when some thing does not love us back.

We might be using the wrong words for this concept, which then makes us think of it in wrong ways. Eating certain foods make us want MORE of them: which isn’t what foods are supposed to do! My current plan, VLC aka Ketosis, is Atkins Induction with a Paleo spin (no seed oils or Frankenfoods, eliminate most artificial sweeteners, simple and fresh focus) has revamped my relationship with food.

I eat something, it SATISFIES ME, and I don’t want to eat again until I’m really hungry.

Now, that is the way food should behave. Eating a food and triggering a craving to eat more and more of it... that’s more like... an addictive drug.

There’s science behind that assertion. Wheat uses opiod receptors in the brain, and sugar increases dopamine. As a highly stressed, poverty-stricken teen, I got hooked on the drugs I could afford: candy, pizza, ice cream, cake. They worked: I felt better and calmer. But only temporarily, and they made me fat and sick and gave me a binge-eating disorder.

Now, I only love a food when that food loves me back: it nourishes me, satisfies me, and lets me do my own thing until we meet again. Like a good life partner should

Those other “foods”? They are like that date who seems sooooo nice and sooooo great until we find out they are manipulative liars who only care about themselves. All of us can find it difficult to ditch them when we only think about how great they were... when they were conning us.

Dump the bad dates. Dump the bad foods. Their promises don’t come true in the way we really want them to.

AMEN! You described it so well! My drug-of-choice in high school was those cheese curl things - my fingers were constantly orange. When I'm at the store the cheese promises so much - but never delivers. I really have to cut it out of my life entirely.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-19, 11:04
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Yep - that's how I think about things, too. I still get plenty of inquires as to how I lost the weight and reversed my health issues. I often boil it down to a simple statement about what I no longer eat. That is often met with a response like "Oh, but I love my [carbs]! -- I could never do that." My retort is... Do you really love your [carbs] -- OR -- is it the [carbs] that make you love it? I choose not to be controlled by my food.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-19, 20:58
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I put vegetable oil on the hanger for my hummingbird feeders. It soon forms a sticky coating that ants can't cross to get to the feeder. Lard or coconut oil; the so called "artery clogging saturated fats" won't work.

As far as the chicken skin goes. Most of the fat is in the skin so I expect more Omega-6 there? I remember reading that on a dog health site years ago. "Chicken skin is good for dogs."
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 04:22

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Yep - that's how I think about things, too. I still get plenty of inquires as to how I lost the weight and reversed my health issues. I often boil it down to a simple statement about what I no longer eat. That is often met with a response like "Oh, but I love my [carbs]! -- I could never do that." My retort is... Do you really love your [carbs] -- OR -- is it the [carbs] that make you love it? I choose not to be controlled by my food.

for some people carbs are like a religion especially for muslims it is a part of their culture. Bread is the most holly Food, here when you drop a piece of bread on the floor they teach you to take it back and kiss it 3 times. If it is a chicken thigh well you can throw it back to dogs.
When you go visit neighbours or relatives you have to take special bread desert with enormous sugar and eat together. Seven days after someone dies they cook a wheat desert with tons of sugar also considered holly food.

When you tell them don't eat that it is a little offensive
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 06:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfat

for some people carbs are like a religion especially for muslims it is a part of their culture. Bread is the most holly Food, here when you drop a piece of bread on the floor they teach you to take it back and kiss it 3 times. If it is a chicken thigh well you can throw it back to dogs.
When you go visit neighbours or relatives you have to take special bread desert with enormous sugar and eat together. Seven days after someone dies they cook a wheat desert with tons of sugar also considered holly food.

When you tell them don't eat that it is a little offensive

While it is not officially a religion, the Midwestern US is fanatical about baked goods.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-19, 21:04
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
While it is not officially a religion, the Midwestern US is fanatical about baked goods.
You can say that again. Walk into any supermarket or Walmart and right up front, they have huge glass enclosures full of cakes, pies, cookies and frosted cupcakes of all colors. Then there are the tables out front of there, dripping with even more donuts, pastries, coffee cakes etc. I have gotten so I just walk thru and hardly notice. I do often wonder "who buys all this junk?"