Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 17:42

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Grain Brain

Excerpt from Grain Brain:

Quote:
By David Perlmutter, MD

Neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s are expected to become a “global epidemic” by 2050, with the number of patients predicted to reach 135 million worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.

Dr. David Perlmutter, board-certified neurologist and a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition, believes he has found the answer to this burgeoning epidemic. According to Perlmutter, the culprit isn’t found in your genes; it’s on your plate.

In his book, Grain Brain, Perlmutter details how wheat, carbs, and sugar are toxic substances that are poisoning our brains. When it was first released in 2013, it became a New York Times best seller, with more than 1.5 million copies sold, and it established Perlmutter as the leading authority on the dangers of eating wheat, carbs, and sugar.

... ... ...

Fat is and always has been a fundamental pillar of our nutrition. Beyond the fact that the human brain consists of more than 70% fat, fat plays a pivotal role in regulating the immune system. Simply stated, good fats like omega‑3s and monounsaturated fats reduce inflammation, while modified hydrogenated fats, so common in commercially prepared foods, dramatically increase inflammation.

A link to the complete interview at Life Extension Foundation is here:
https://www.lifeextension.com/magaz...terview/page-01

I'm doing fine on high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. I don't know if it's the diet for anyone else. After all, if one diet was best for everybody, there would only need to be one diet book. But it's working for me. My blood numbers are good and my circulatory system is that of someone 20 years my junior.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 18:53

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Love Perlmutter. Between his view and the lowcarbers I found common ground: weight loss, good health. Anti grains and sugar. Eat whole foods. And to extend weight loss, I found fasting.

My body is too messed up to tolerate a mostly vegetarian diet.....but others still can manage it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-19, 08:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

The other person with a lot of good info on low carb and the brain is Tuit Nutrition. Any Berger v
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-19, 20:12

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I'm doing fine on high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. I don't know if it's the diet for anyone else.

Me too. I had a heck of a time wrapping my brain around the concept of "moderate protein" - I'd read so much that just reducing the carbs would be all that I would need. Once I got it figured out (math is not my strong suit) I was able to do it. And my bg started doing better, my weight started going down, my energy has gone up. Still have insomnia, but - oddly enough - with my increased energy I'm more active during the day, so I sleep better at night.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-19, 01:29

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Brain Maker, also by Perlmutter, is also a great read. I've added many probiotics and prebiotics to my diet through his two books. Got personal hard cover copies for reference.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-19, 14:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Me too. I had a heck of a time wrapping my brain around the concept of "moderate protein" - I'd read so much that just reducing the carbs would be all that I would need. Once I got it figured out (math is not my strong suit) I was able to do it. And my bg started doing better, my weight started going down, my energy has gone up. Still have insomnia, but - oddly enough - with my increased energy I'm more active during the day, so I sleep better at night.

My formula is easy. Easy is better because complicated is more difficult to follow.

1) Under 2k calories/day
2) 20 carbs or under/day
3) At least twice as much fat as protein.

I got the 2K calories by filling out a keto formula somewhere on the net, for my gender, height, and activity level.

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-19, 15:16

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good formula and close to what I'm eating; although, I consume a bit more protein. Works well for my n=1.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-19, 21:54

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I got the 2K calories by filling out a keto formula somewhere on the net, for my gender, height, and activity level.

Bob

Out of curiosity I just tried the first four keto calculators that popped up in the search results. None came anywhere near to the amount of calories I need to maintain my weight based on actual eating experience. Not even close. From 500 to 1200 calories too low. So based on that I'd say a person could try the formulas as a starting place and individualize as needed. The protein amounts came out too low for me, too. Maybe because the calories were so low, but I've also learned with experience that moderate protein for me is a higher amount than I used to suppose based on books I'd read.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 07:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Out of curiosity I just tried the first four keto calculators that popped up in the search results. None came anywhere near to the amount of calories I need to maintain my weight based on actual eating experience. Not even close. From 500 to 1200 calories too low. So based on that I'd say a person could try the formulas as a starting place and individualize as needed. The protein amounts came out too low for me, too. Maybe because the calories were so low, but I've also learned with experience that moderate protein for me is a higher amount than I used to suppose based on books I'd read.

My own experience works like this, based on daily averages:

32g carbs and 1700 calories = stall around 155

22g carbs and 1850 calories = weight loss resumes

6g carbs and 1865 calories = hunger-free, effortless, weight loss to the lowest point of my life since puberty

And any time I try to eat less than appetite on protein (which is mostly fatty meat sources) I get restless and hungry.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 07:54

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Those keto calculators always set my calories much lower than I eat to either maintain or to lose a few pounds. If I followed their advice I would be hungry all the time.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 07:56

BF:

They are a good starting point though.

It's hard for a keto calculator to judge your personal metabolism and activity level.

The keto calculator I found (sorry, I didn't bookmark it) is perfect for both myself and my DW.

Bob
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 08:05

BF:

I have never based what I eat on calories since going low carb. By setting my carbs at 20 net and my protein much higher than most people suggest the amount of fat I eat seems to fall into place. Those calculators just mess me up so I don't use them.

For example today I will eat:
Carbs: 20 gms net
Protein: 111 gms
Fat: 121 gms
Calories: 1650

Works for me.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 08:31

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm with you, Jean. I ignore calories and focus on limiting carbs. This is the primary element in developing a successful WOE that maintains good health for me. My increase in protein over the past year has been very beneficial and has not negatively impacted my blood ketones based on direct measurement.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 10:38

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm with both of you!!
Same, no calorie counting and a Good amount of protein. IDK about grams because I don't like metric but most of my diet is protein now. When I feel the full mark with a steak I save the rest in the refrigerator for another meal.

From everything I've read, as we get older we need that protein to maintain strength not less protein as some people do, then they just wither away getting weaker and weaker.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 10:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I'm with both of you!!
From everything I've read, as we get older we need that protein to maintain strength not less protein as some people do, then they just wither away getting weaker and weaker.

That's what I've decided also from everything I have read. The older we get the more important protein is to keep up our strength. That's why I keep walking every day too. I do not want my muscles to just keep getting weaker and weaker if there is a way to preserve muscle mass as I age.