Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 02:36

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Stop tempting shoppers to buy junk food, stores told

Quote:
From The Times
London, UK
26 July, 2019

Stop tempting shoppers to buy junk food, stores told

Supermarkets should remove junk food from shelves at eye level to help tackle the obesity crisis, experts have said.

The Royal Society for Public Health (RSPH) said in a report that store layouts were designed to tempt shoppers into making extra purchases, particularly of unhealthy options.

“Supermarkets contribute to overconsumption of calories, using various tactics to convince consumers to buy more items,” it said. “Layout, promotions and sensory cues all influence consumers to maximise profit, with little regard for the nutritional value of products promoted to consumers.”

Customers were often unaware that they were being influenced by techniques such as promotions on unhealthy foods because these had become “normalised” in supermarkets.

The Health on the Shelf report, by the RSPH and Slimming World, said an audit of supermarkets found that four in ten products positioned in prominent areas or display units were sugary foods and drinks, and nearly nine in ten products placed at a child’s eye level throughout stores were unhealthy.

More than a third of shoppers had bought unhealthy food on impulse because they saw it on offer and a fifth said shopping in a supermarket had caused them to go off track in their diet if they were attempting to slim.

Three quarters of parents had been pestered by their children to buy items during the supermarket shop, and 88 per cent of these requests were for junk food.

“The combination of ‘pester power’ and the availability of unhealthy products in supermarkets is a clear contributor to the high levels of childhood obesity,” the report said.

Supermarket layouts were designed to encourage shoppers to buy more than they needed, it claimed. Tactics used included: putting fruit and vegetables at the front of the shop so people felt justified in treating themselves to unhealthy options later; and placing milk and bread towards the back so that shoppers had to pass through aisles of tempting products to buy essentials.

The government is consulting on whether promotions for products high in fat, sugar and salt should be limited or banned, and whether these products should be allowed to remain in prominent positions on shop shelves.

Shirley Cramer, chief executive of the RSPH, said: “Supermarkets have the power and influence as well as a responsibility in tackling their contribution to this ‘obesogenic’ environment.” She praised stores that had removed junk food from checkouts but said they needed to do more to promote healthy choices.

Carolyn Pallister, of Slimming World, said: “If supermarkets empowered their consumers to make these changes themselves through creating an environment which promoted a healthier diet, they could become part of the solution in helping to tackle the obesity epidemic.”

The British Retail Consortium, which represents supermarkets, said they had “led the way” on encouraging healthy choices by heavily promoting fruit and vegetables and reformulating labels to show a “traffic light” system that warned when products were unhealthy.

Its spokesman, Ewan MacDonald-Russell, said: “The retail industry is open to government action — for example around multi-buy promotions. It’s worth noting any measures need to apply to all food and drink businesses to ensure the largest number of people possible can benefit.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-told-r76rdzq80
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 05:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

As if. Profit margin far larger on junk.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 06:21

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Agreed. Unlikely to happen. Grocery stores are designed to display the colorfully packaged processed food prominently, their margins depend on people responding without thinking.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 07:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

And since supermarkets often put up space for the highest bidder, the highest margin is going to win.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 12:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Nixing a chocolate bar on the way out of the store isn't going to help somebody with a shopping cart full of pop tarts.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 13:50

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It's the type of foods being made and marketed that is the problem. The center aisles have very little that I consider worthy of buying.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 14:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

We do not have a ROFL, so adding:

"You’ll find slotting fees at Barnes & Noble, big-box stores, and most other large chains. They’re also a reality of doing business in the UK and Australia.

"https://www.vox.com/2016/11/22/13707022/grocery-store-slotting-fees-slotting-allowances

http://www.economist.com/news/busin...ying-up-shelves

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jul-26-19 at 16:49.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 19:02

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

When I learned how the stores play customers, I was no longer influenced by the end caps and the junk at check out aisles.

When I kept to a food budget, the enticing gimics also did not work.

Going hun gry to the grocery..... THAT spells disaster. So I never go food shopping hungry. Even DH stops at McD for a burger as that $ amount is faaaaaar less than the junk he would otherwise pile in the cart.

They will not change their ways. Too much money at stake.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Fri, Jul-26-19 at 19:51.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-19, 18:19

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I wonder how increasing availability of online grocery shopping with "pick it up at the curb" and/or delivery service is going to impact on product placement in brick and mortar grocery stores.

Even my small town grocery store now has employees pushing big carts around the store gathering together the online customers' orders. I suspect that as those services become more popular, it's going to make more sense to arrange products more "warehouse" style so that items that are often bought together are kept stored NEAR one another instead being widely separated. Stores WANT to keep you and me walking up and down aisles as long as possible, but when it's one of their paid employees doing the aisle walking and item searching, they'll want the task to be finished quickly! And, employee-order-fulfillers searching for the particular brand of cereal requested by an online shopper are not going to be adding pop-tarts and candied cereal bars on a whim!

Much as I hate grocery shopping, most of what I shop for (meat and fresh produce) is stuff that I actually want to LOOK at and SELECT. So I don't WANT someone else doing my shopping for me.

BUT, if I were a Mom with small children to lug along with me on grocery shopping forays, and if I were the typical shopper filling my cart mostly with cans and boxes of various processed foods, you can bet I'd start doing my shopping online! I'd probably quickly decide that the additional cost of letting somebody walk around and pick up my groceries was more than worthwhile to avoid the aggravation of a small child begging for various junk food items!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-19, 20:51

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Totally agree, Bevangel, although I actually do like grocery shopping (clothes shopping not so much). I want to see what I am buying, and do a bit of comparison. Of course, between canned or packaged items that isn't, for many, so important; they know their brands, and stick with them. But between my veggies or meat selections? I prefer to see what I am getting before paying for it.