Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 09:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default High-carb diet best in combination with exercise

By Merritt McKinney

NEW YORK, Sep 19 (Reuters Health) - Low-fat diets that are high in carbohydrates lower levels of harmful cholesterol, but they also can raise levels of other blood fats linked to heart disease. However, moderate exercise seems to counteract most of the potentially harmful effects of a high-carb diet, researchers in the UK report.

Low-fat diets are usually recommended because they reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering levels of LDL ("bad") cholesterol, Dr. Adrianne E. Hardman of Loughborough University in Leicestershire, told Reuters Health.

Since foods that are low in fat tend to be rich in carbohydrates, low-fat diets are usually high-carbohydrate diets, noted Hardman, the lead researcher on the new study.

Such high-carbohydrate diets, she said, have been shown to increase blood fats called triglycerides, which are thought to raise the risk of heart disease. They can also lower levels of the "good" cholesterol HDL, Hardman added.

"Theoretically at least, these changes might offset any benefits for heart disease risk accruing from the decrease in LDL cholesterol," she said.

But in a study appearing in Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology: Journal of the American Heart Association, Hardman and her colleagues found that moderate exercise prevents the potential harmful effects of a high-carbohydrate diet.

"Our study shows that moderate exercise--brisk walking for most middle-aged and older people--negates at least some of the potentially negative effects of a high-carbohydrate diet," Hardman said.

"We studied people's responses to ordinary meals and found that, when they were doing daily exercise the increase in their blood triglycerides which was seen when they ate a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet was entirely prevented," she explained.

The study included eight women in their 50s or 60s who went on a series of 3-day diets: a low-carbohydrate diet, a high-carbohydrate diet without exercise, and a high-carbohydrate diet combined with an hour of brisk walking each day. At the end of each diet, the women ate a high-fat meal and then had their triglycerides measured.

As expected, triglyceride levels were higher after the high-carbohydrate diet without exercise than after the low-carbohydrate diet. But the increase in triglycerides was significantly lower after the high-carbohydrate diet plus exercise than after the high-carbohydrate diet without exercise.

However, exercise did not improve the decrease in HDL cholesterol that occurred after the high-carbohydrate diet.

Still, Hardman said "there is no need to be concerned that low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets may have some negative effects on the levels of blood fats, provided that people engage in regular, frequent exercise."

She noted that moderate-intensity exercise appears to be sufficient to counteract the negative effects of high-carbohydrate diets.

In fact, according to Hardman, this diet and exercise combo "may be the best of both worlds for coronary heart disease risk."

SOURCE: Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology 2001;21:1520-1525
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 09:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
As expected, triglyceride levels were higher after the high-carbohydrate diet without exercise than after the low-carbohydrate diet. But the increase in triglycerides was significantly lower after the high-carbohydrate diet plus exercise than after the high-carbohydrate diet without exercise.

So I take it the low-carb *diet* had the least increase in triglycerides? Wonder why this wasnt mentioned. (OK, no I don't)
Wonder what they would have found had one group been following a low-carb regiment with exerxcise?

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 18:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%

It probably wasn't mentioned because the US Dept. of Agriculture has brainwashed the American medical community that a diet consisting of 5 to 7 servings a day of grain product is the only way to go. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the number one cash crop grown in America is... uh... grain.

The French are far too astute to be suckered in by this theory. Every day, the average Parisian eats approximately the same levels of carb that someone on Atkins or Carb Addicts maintenance diet (while indulging in liberal amounts of meats, cheeses, creamy sauces and butter) and the country manages to maintain an obesity level about one third to one half ours (depending on the weight chart one uses to calculate obesity).

Vive la France.

Last edited by AmandaSo : Wed, Sep-26-01 at 18:17.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 19:46

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Thanks for posting this article Doreen - Now I have yet another reason to stick with this WOL forever.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 19:50

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by AmandaSo
The French are far too astute to be suckered in by this theory.

Yes, the French also have portion control working for them, something the North American diet is sorely lacking. Studies have also suggested that moderate consumption of red wine with meals is a factor.

Et puis avec ça, je m'en vais dormir!

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 14:13

Stats: 184/176/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default excersise and low carb

Excersise and low carb is best way to go for weight loss and energy. When you excersise and eat a lot of carbs, the body burns the sugar, not the fat. When you maintain a low carb diet, you excersise and you will burn the fat very fast. This is why many people complain that they are not loosing weight when they start a workout program because they are simply eating to many carbs and their body is working overtime to burn all of that sugar. Just because someone is on a low carb diet does not mean that they have to eat the most fatty foods like pork fat, there are lean proteins out there to indulge in. My girlfriend is also on the Atkins diet (way of life) and has been for about 3 years and initally lost 40 lbs. (her goal weight loss ) and has maintained it but she is flabby and a little mushy but very skinny, where as if she excersised she whould very tone. Just depends on your body type and what you want.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 15:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 167/165/135
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default need help in starting out

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME GET STARTED. I GET SO DEPRESSED NOT KNOWING WHICH WAY TO GO. ANY IDEAS LET ME KNOW. I THINK OF ALL KINDS OF DIET BUT FALL OFF TOO EASY.

PRISSY
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 15:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Prissy, best way to start is by reading Dr. Atkins book. If you read in the past, just re-read it again. It's quite motivating to get a fresh start by revisiting the book to refresh your understanding and build your commitment. I also recommend reading Protein Power, and the details and sequence is very motivating.

Wa'il
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 20:10

BF:
Default ATKINS DIET

TAMARIAN THANK YOU FOR REPLYING . WILL READ THE BOOK AGAIN, THERE IS SO MANY DIETS OUT THERE UNTIL I GET CONFUSSED. YOU ARE DOING GREAT YOURSELF.
PRISSY
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 09:39

Stats: 184/176/150
BF:
Progress: 24%
Cool You can do it.

Hi Prissy:

If you follow the atkins diet you will see results fast. It was hard for me at first because in my family we live off of carbs. There is always pasta, rice and bread in my home and the homes of family. The first two weeks I followed this diet I was is pure misery.

Following those two weeks I started to feel more energy and my clothes started to fit loosely. When you see results, it is easier to follow.

This combined with exersise will drop your weight fast, believe me. I still eat some carbs but about 90% less than I used to and I don't crave them that much anymore.

Good luck to you and keep me posted.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-01, 14:34

BF:
Default atkins diet

LISSAROSSI THANK YOU FOR GETTING BACK WITH ME. I WILL GO BY THE BOOK FOR TWO WEEKS TO SEE HOW I WILL DO. MY NEIBORH AND I WALK THE MALL. BUT WE HAVEN'T LATELY . KEEP IN CONTAC WITH ME I WILL NEED ALL THE SUPORT I CAN.

PRISSY
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 17:45

Plan: protien power/atkins
Stats: 210/189/125 Female 5'1 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up ...................................

I totally understand where u are coming from prissy,...I am starting again, on the atkins diet...simply because I absolutley feel awful eating the standard american diet...even the so called "healthy" american diet............which we all know is the dogma of low-fat/high carb existance.....I am one of those folks who cannot eat just one chip or cookie or whatever sweet and processed food item...the cravings overtake....its amazing actually, to see and feel the difference in everything about myself when I commit to eating a low carb lifestyle....and that is exactly what it has to be.....but I expound a bit much here...lolololol

U must read Dr Atkins book prissy....the science and the logic I think is motivating...it can be a little overbearing with all the info-science that is in the book.....but if u will take the time to absorb it...I think that it will help u be decisive and passionate about this important and life changing decision....
keep us posted....I am interested in knowing how it goes with u..good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRISSY
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME GET STARTED. I GET SO DEPRESSED NOT KNOWING WHICH WAY TO GO. ANY IDEAS LET ME KNOW. I THINK OF ALL KINDS OF DIET BUT FALL OFF TOO EASY.

PRISSY
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 18:02

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hey welcome to the board SB4U. Don't feel bad if you don't get a response from Prissy though, this thread is 3 years old
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 16:50

Plan: protien power/atkins
Stats: 210/189/125 Female 5'1 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default loloolo

ok.....lolololol ..didnt even pay attention to the date....lololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Hey welcome to the board SB4U. Don't feel bad if you don't get a response from Prissy though, this thread is 3 years old
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 17:24

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

How come this thread was posted again? Glitch?

Val