Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 01:47
Registered Member

Plan: low carbs
Stats: 230/230/170 Female 68"
BF:Too much!
Progress: 0%
Unhappy helping high blood pressure with low carbs

Hi everyone, I have never done something like this before (writing in a forum) so I am hoping this will help me in losing the weight I need to lose. I am not only doing this to lose weight, but to help my blood pressure for it is really high. It is a little scary to think I can eat all this fat and protein and have it affect my blood pressure in a positive way(I just started walking also). If anyone has or had hbp let me know how low carbing it has helped you. Thanks for listening and take care.....Kellie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 06:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

HI

Welcome to this Forum. Many of us were suffering from high blood pressure. On average mine was 140/90. I just took my blood pressure this very moment, it read 111/65. Quite a dramatic different. My bloods tests came back on March 5th with
Cholesterol 180 - down from 199
Triglycerides 99 - down from 199
Ratio 2.3

If you read the Atkins book you will learn that eating all that high fat in the absence of many carbs it takes a different metabolic path and forces the body to burn fat instead of carbs. Thus losing inches and pounds.

Good luck to you

Rose
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 07:52
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Kellie,

One of the reasons I started Atkins was because my blood pressure was shooting up. It got as high as about 160/95. I was sick last month and went to the doctor. My blood pressure was 117/74 without medication and as you can see from my stats, I still have lots of weight left to lose. My blood pressure has not been that low since I was in my early 20s (I'm 45 now). For the first time in years, I was able to take over-the-counter decongestants because the doctor wasn't worried about them raising my blood pressure.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 09:47
Registered Member

Smile Thank you

Thank you for your responses! I feel much better now. I can't even imagine my blood pressure being as low as those. I will keep plugging along though...Take care......Kellie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 17:42

Plan: Dr. Atkins New Diet Revol
Stats: 223/223/190 Male 73 inches
BF:
Default Hi

Hi Kellie,

Welcome to the forum..........Like u I needed to lower my blood pressure I am 19 and it averaged 170/100 which is really high for someone my age, especially since it has been like that from my more fit times. I have been low carbing and it feels good, I am on medication right now for blood pressure but i am sure that it has gone down. Visit some journals and start one of your own. That way we can keep in touch and see how things are going.

Take care and good luck wish u a lot of success

H.B.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 18:08

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

Greetings! I've been LCing for 8 weeks, have lost 35 lbs, and am completely off my BP meds for the first time in 2 years. I was taking 40 mg of Lisinopril (generic for Zestril) per day -- now I'm taking none.

<B>But</B>, before you toss that prescription, <B>visit your doctor</B> and make sure you two agree on ditching the meds -- coming off them cold-turkey can be very bad for you. I stepped-down from 40 mgs to 20mg, then off altogether, with the doc's approval.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 11:54
Registered Member

Talking

Thanks for letting me know how you all are doing on this program. I am feeling more comfortable knowing that you all have had possitive results. Thanks so much. Now I am excitied to get my bp and weight under control.....Kellie
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 04:46

Plan: low carb/Atkins
Stats: 181/171/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi Kelli,

New here also but not to low carbing. I have been back on for 4 weeks. Although I haven't lost much, I have soooooo much more energy and that is keeping me on track.

As for BP. Mine is high and after reading your post, I will better monitor mine to see if there is a difference. I am on norvasc for 3 years. Part of my BP is hereitary and part job related. It will be interesting to see what part is diet related.

Check out my journal ans when yours is up and running, I'll check out yours.

Take care!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 08:08

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that it was blood pressure monitoring that lead me to this way of eating.

I was monitoring my blood pressure several times a day and over a period of several weeks.
To cut a long story short I found a direct link between bread consumption and my blood pressure. The less bread that I ate then the lower my blood pressure. That was the beginning of my journey to the low carb lifestyle.

The blood pressure reduction, in my case happened before the weight came off. I did not have a lot to lose but the 20 or so punds came off in around 6 weeks.

I assume that it is the combination of high blood sugars and attendant insulin dump that is the cause, but I have never seen a scientific explanation. Has anyone else seen a scientific paper on this subject ??????

My decision was completely endorsed when I saw a recent paper linking blood pressure meds to an increase in the incidence of heart attacks, see Doreens post here.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=95943

Good luck and spread the word........

Ed
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 14:44
Registered Member

Tigeraspen,

Thanks for your response. I haven't figure out how to do the journal yet, maybe I will do it today. I am glad what I wrote reminded you of checking your blood pressure. It is a scary thing thinking we could get heart disease. My dad had high blood pressure also so it has been passed down to me. I am finally realizing how important it is to take care of myself and not just my beautiful family. We kind of get swept up with taking care of everyone else but ourselves! O.K. it has taken me 44 years to figure that one out...... I am a slow learner. Take care of yourself and keep me informed on your progress and I will let you know mine......Kellie

Oldsalty,

Thanks for the interesting article. Before I started LCing it I was eating alot more carbs than I thought I was. All of my snacks, dinners ect. were filled with carbs..yikes! I do feel the energy, which is great. I have not checked my blood pressure yet, kind of scared to. I will do that today. Thanks again for your response. I am learning more and more from all of you every day. Take care....Kellie
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 19:20

BF:

Hey Kelli,

Thanks for the reply, Let me know when you start your journal and what baord you will be hanging out on.

I use to be on Bootcamp Buddies, a weight watcher board...but since I am low carbing it now and not "on program", I no longer felt comfotable there. Glad I found this site.

Old Salty...thanks for the success story! Hope I can report back the same to you sometime....

ciao for now
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 22:45
Registered Member

Talking

Hey Tigeraspen,

I have been really busy at work and have not been able to write back sooner, sorry! I don't know what board I will be going on, do you have any suggestions? I am really new at this so it is taking me awhile to figure it out. I don't think I will be doing the journal, I haven't decided yet, because I have logged onto fitday.com and am using that to log everything I am eating. I think I will like it. Well, take care and keep me informed of your progress.....
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 18:37

BF:

Hi Kelli,

Visit me at my journal, Tiger's Journal. Also why don't you join Cher, Amy and I at Countdoewn to 150.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Ellen
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 18:39

BF:

I need to get some information / research to a friend of mine who may try low carb for high blood pressure. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ellen
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 21:15

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default me too!

A couple years ago I also had high blood pressure, the doctor put me on medication and anti-depressants, I was 295 then and kinda felt hopeless.

Shortly thereafter I went on CAD plan and went down to 235 in 8 months and my blood pressure had leveled off (well, lowered dramatically is more like it!).

I left that WOE at 235 due to several stressors, now I'm back doing it again at 265 and already feel better(the cravings I have for a bottle of wine 2 to 3 nights a week is gone and so are the insane urges for mass quantities of other carbs late at night!) As soon as I lose a few more pounds I'll take my blood pressure again, but finding it lowered like it was last time will not surprise me!

One day at a time and good luck!

Steve