Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-21, 09:49

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Addendum:

Just measured now and opposite result against my hunch. My Trigger is 96 now, I feel a bit hungry so time to eat.

Right Pinky: 87
Left Pinky: 95

I'll chalk it up to a number of variables but TIME is not really one of them as this is basically concurrent readings.

Strip Variability
Test point (skin) variable
Amount of blood drawn (drop but not all drops are drops)
Right/Left bias - this doesn't seem to be the case but not enought data

I do have some test solution so perhaps I can test three strips in a row on that.

I guess the bright light is that, even with the variability, in the long run the waking should go down and the pre-meal should go down as well. We're in it for the long-ish run here, I'm devoting until March 31 on DDF.

Not all pitches are strikes
Not all pitches are balls
But when there are more strikes than balls over time, eventually the batter is retired. I think ha!
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-21, 11:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Those meters will drive you crazy! I have three brands which have stayed relatively close to each other, but not in the same order. Contour is still the brand Marty considers most accurate, and more than one person has said it runs "high." I have noticed that often.. but not always. I have read the pinky finger runs lower. I have read to only use the middle and ring finger, as they are more consistent. Dr. Bernstein said to use all fingers, no difference, including left or right hand. He even recommended using the back of the fingers...yikes that hurt on me. So net down, pick one, stick with it. and don't try to game the system. but rotate the needle location enough to avoid bruising. One more tip...don't let the strip hit the skin, so the blood drop should be big enough, and your eyesight good enough, to only dip into the blood drop. Enough contradictions for you?

The Contour is reasonably priced at Walmart On-Line (don't use their brand Relion) If you think you are going to use a lot of strips, I have been happy enough with the TrueMetrix and Metene...the complete kits on Amazon are almost the same price as 100 strips, and lower than Contour. Cheap enough that I will re-do readings that are off more than about 6 points. Post #119 shows the more usual range.

PS: I hit a new low weight since August...by .2 of a pound Hey, its slow going now that I'm at a BMI of 24 something, but its exactly what Ted Naiman said in a new podcast with "Astrid"...when you are near normal weights, you are "insulin resistant" and it is harder to lose weight. Opposite of the folks who say it's hard to lose weight because overweight and insulin resistant.

Another new interview with Marty and the KetoGains guy, Luis Villasenor. https://www.facebook.com/optimising...715134742068433

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-16-21 at 12:59.
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-21, 13:31

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Hey, its slow going now that I'm at a BMI of 24 something, but its exactly what Ted Naiman said in a new podcast with "Astrid"...when you are near normal weights, you are "insulin resistant" and it is harder to lose weight. Opposite of the folks who say it's hard to lose weight because overweight and insulin resistant.

That's an interesting take on it. I guess it all depends on what we consider to be the precise definition of insulin resistance and hyperinsulinaemia, and how different levels of insulin could apply to different individuals at different sizes.

I can see his point in a way, I mean, we don't want to go as far as zero insulin all the time because then we'd just waste away completely; think T1Ds pre-discovery of insulin. I guess at an individual level it's more a case of keeping one's insulin levels in line with one's individual health needs, even if for most of us with health issues, that still generally means trying to lower our insulin.
  #139   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-21, 04:20

Hey Brandon! I didn’t get to Ted Naiman's view on insulin until the dam and fat storage analogy sunk in.
Marty's article using Ted Naiman's info graphic on Hyperinsulinemia and a good previous article on the same topic linked within. https://optimisingnutrition.com/ted...phic-explained/

Quote:
Reducing carbohydrates in your diet is helpful to stabilise insulin and blood glucose. However, if you have excessive body fat, both your fasting insulin and your total insulin levels across the day will be elevated (regardless of whether you prefer a low carb or high carb diet). As shown in the chart below,
**, rather than your carbohydrate intake, your insulin levels across the day are highly correlated with your BMI.~~

** complex study...Marty selects the important charts in his article... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...t00481-0161.pdf

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-17-21 at 04:28.
  #140   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-21, 06:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Rob, have you upgraded your meter? they were doing it for free when I was looking to get more ketone strips. The new strips come individually packages in foil. More of a pain and waste but perhaps better QA - who knows.

Wasn't aware that it needed to be upgraded. I bought some BG strips from them a few weeks ago, but didn't hear anything about upgrading. I'll have to check it out to see if I can and what I need to do. Thanks for the heads up.
  #141   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-21, 07:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Wasn't aware that it needed to be upgraded. I bought some BG strips from them a few weeks ago, but didn't hear anything about upgrading. I'll have to check it out to see if I can and what I need to do. Thanks for the heads up.

I'd assume not yet looks to me that they'll phase it out as they are trying to push the new GK+ and a slight discount from previous strip prices. And it doesn't look like you can buy the TD-4279 from their site (only strips) I may keep my old one and buy a couple bottles of strips and keep it for mobile use.

DDF Note: Yesterday was the first time that I had to defer a meal on account of BG reading being higher than trigger for dinner. I took that opportunity to examine what hunger signals were occuring, perhaps it was time of day. I skipped dinner, grudgingly Glad I did - also handy was practicing getting all eating done before noon last quarter so it's not foreign territory for me.

Having fun!
  #142   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 03:47

Thud, how did that no dinner go? Now that I’ve gotten into this program, 2 MAD (one lighter) is as low as I go, and believe I do eat less and better quality/nutrient density than with OMAD. I fixed my Main Meal around 5 and Discretionary Meal around "Brunch".

Today's "Lesson" on the app is also one of the later FAQs:

Quote:
What if my blood sugar does not drop below my trigger point for a whole day?..." As you start to make progress and burn through your excess glucose stored in your liver and your muscle, your body will start to find a new normal. You should be aware that once you have lost your initial water weight (stored with the higher levels of glucose in your body), the initial progress may slow. Some days you may not see your blood sugar fall below your trigger point and wonder if you’re allowed to eat at all today?

This is where you should fall back to your Main Meal and Discretionary Meals. If your blood sugars are above your trigger but you are still hungry you can choose to eat one less meal than normal today.

If you usually have three meals, you can choose to have two.
If you usually have two meals, you can drop back to only Your Main Meal.
We don’t recommend you try to skip full days of eating as you may risk becoming overly hungry and binging on less optimal foods when you refeed.
As you do this, you should continue to see your body weight, body fat and waist measurements continue to trend down. In time your blood sugars (which can vary due to a range of other factors) should follow.
  #143   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 06:32

BF:

Thanks for the question and quote there Janet?

No trouble going to bed and not having second meal that day. And it happened again yesterday; BG over trigger as the day was ending and I was thinking about eating (likely time of day based signal for eating)

I took two bg samples to make sure and averaged them after the first was what I thought high; no go. did other stuff and went to bed.

Likely cause from yesterday is that I ate a really big lunch late in the day. I plan on maybe moving that up and eating a bit less to accommodate dinner. Both of my meals are usually similar in size.

No problem with the lunch time Trigger BG and I'm dropping below that pretty early in the day. It's also very helpful for me that I practiced eating before noon last quarter - just to do it and know that going to bed, without eating right before, can be normal for me.

Super stoked to be playing with this and I plan on joining next month to get a better handle on the materials, for now, eating what I've been eating (LC), observing hunger signals and obeying the meter.
  #144   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 07:57

Feb 5th is the start of a 6 week Nutrient Optimization Masterclass.
https://www.facebook.com/events/790832241512221

Next DDF will start March 6th.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-19-21 at 13:43.
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 09:37

BF:

Been toying with participating in the Nutrient Optimization Masterclass. Reading about Jean's and other's experiences really has me thinking. It appears to cause one to learn about the foods that are healthy at the individual level. It may be the next step on the path of improved nutrition for me.

Marty and Ted Naiman have taken the baton in a sense, have busted the myths and unfounded notions of eating health and low carb, and taken it to the next level. Hearing very positive things about NOM.
  #146   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 09:39

BF:

I'll check out the master classs. DDF early April would coincided with my Q2 Plan update (been experimenting with different things for 3 months at a time) DDF with better nutrition understanding would probably be ideal. Thanks Janet.
  #147   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 09:44

BF:

I just clicked "Going" to:

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2021 AT 1 PM CST
6-WEEK NUTRITIONAL OPTIMISATION MASTERCLASS

See you there!
  #148   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 10:35

BF:

Here's an excellent video cast with Marty and Luis Villasenor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?utm_c...l&v=eP64J97bQRk

Encapsulates a lot of information we've been discussing in this thread and on this forum.
  #149   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 10:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Here's an excellent video cast with Marty and Luis Villasenor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?utm_c...l&v=eP64J97bQRk

Encapsulates a lot of information we've been discussing in this thread and on this forum.

Janet pointed that out on FB and I also found it as you did on Youtube. Worth a couple watches. Good stuff.
  #150   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 20:22

BF:

Does any one have a copy of the Data Driven Fasting Spreadsheet. I'm continuing to use the Baseline sheet that I was able to download but it doesn't seem to be the same one as day to day, the formulas used in some of the cells down't make sense - i.e. the Trigger doesn't seem to go down as it's only looking at the 3 baseline days. I suppose I could hack it with rolling average every 7 days? Thanks - maybe I need to buy this or enroll in that specific DDF course?