Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-19, 05:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Dr. Sarah Myhill: treasure trove of science

This is a website I found that should be of interest to us science fans. Dr. Sarah Myhill quit the UK National Health Service because she had found a way to help CFS/ME patients. And they wouldn’t let her use it.

She has an entire wiki on treating chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME) and all its many manifestations. Its central feature? The healing power of ketogenic diets for metabolic disease.

https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page

And she loves to get into the biochemical weeds. There’s tons of studies on there (she has three published papers on key elements of the syndrome) that explains all the symptoms DH has been suffering from. He’s plunged in up to his neck, and while he’s only been on the protocol a few weeks, we are already seeing improvement.

Ironically, it was his bout with last winter’s hideous virus that put him on Intermittent Fasting But while he was very weak, Dr. Myhill explained that, too.

This is highly pertinent research that applies to any metabolic disease. And as we all know, that’s a heck of a lot of diseases.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-19, 08:52

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, WereBear. Just cruising around Dr. Myhill's site, it is truly rich with health information. I particularly like her page on supplements. Looking forward to exploring more.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-19, 22:09

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Interesting site; I have bookmarked it to look at more thoroughly later. Lots of interesting information, though she turned me off a bit with her repeated recommendation to "avoid vaccinations". As a retired pediatric nurse I can't get on board with that. Still, I imagine I can get past that to the other useful things she has to say.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 02:12

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

thanks! just fyi, i found The essential package for all!.

#5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 05:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Interesting site; I have bookmarked it to look at more thoroughly later. Lots of interesting information, though she turned me off a bit with her repeated recommendation to "avoid vaccinations". As a retired pediatric nurse I can't get on board with that. Still, I imagine I can get past that to the other useful things she has to say.

I have read her book, where it is clearer that she is talking about the timing of vaccinations according to the patient’s state of health, not what is known as “anti-vax.” This has its place in treating immune functions, as during a low period for DH I got the flu shot to protect him. He couldn’t be vaccinated at that point.

Her style needs immersion. Like a lot of scientists, she assumes the reader “speaks her language.” She can overcome this tendency with some really compelling descriptions and emphasis, from her work as a clinician, with patients.

The more I read, the more I am able to figure out the science and how she explains it, which is pretty good.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 09:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I have read her book, where it is clearer that she is talking about the timing of vaccinations according to the patient’s state of health, not what is known as “anti-vax.” This has its place in treating immune functions, as during a low period for DH I got the flu shot to protect him. He couldn’t be vaccinated at that point.

Thanks, that makes sense. I haven't yet got too deeply into her site, so hadn't picked up on that nuance.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 10:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
thanks! just fyi, i found The essential package for all!.

SO much stuff there! Thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 07:36

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm now a supporter of Dr. Myhill's sound guidance. For example, her dietary recommendations are Paleo (for those who have dairy intolerance)/Keto. Her protein recommendations make a lot of sense, as she recommends ample protein considering one's lean body mass:

From her website:
Quote:
As calculated above, my lean body mass is about 100lbs and so this means that I can eat about 80 grams of protein a day without having to reduce my carbohydrate ration [see below].

For me this amounts to:

Breakfast: 2 eggs (26), 2 rashers bacon (16). My bacon is very fat.
Supper: tinned fish starter (8) and pork chop (30)

What to do if you exceed your protein limit?

If one should exceed the protein limit, then the amount by which this limit is exceeded should be deducted from the daily carbohydrate ration on the approximate basis that one gram of protein can be converted to one gram of carbohydrate. So, if you exceed your protein limit by 5grams then you should reduce your carbohydrate limit by 5grams.

It's from the practical details page already cited above, but here's the link again:

https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Ket...actical_details

This protein recommendation falls slightly below what I consume, and the recommendation when exceeding the protein recommendation to cut carbs in response makes a lot of sense.