Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-11, 08:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

Why is everyone giving this girl this "you need to love yourself" stuff? If she was 24 and 50 pounds overweight no one would think anything of it.

Why should she not try to get in better shape earlier? And finally, why should someone love an unhealthy disgusting body? Seriously, would any of you be on this forum if you loved unhealthy disgusting bodies? I know I hated my body when I was 280 pounds, and I should have... Now at 210 - not so much.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-11, 22:29

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollys121
Hello everybody. I am new to the Atkins diet (i.e have not actually started it yet) (:
I am so worried as i have tried things in the past that have just failed. I feel at the moment like it is impossible to lose weight! Can anybody give me any tips or tell me how easy the Atkins diet is to follow ...

By the way i brought the book 'Dr. Atkins new diet revolution' is this a good thing to start with

Will i ever lose weight!!??

Good luck, Molly :-)

1. You don't have to exercise. I didn't exercise, I ate plenty of fat and took most of the weight off. In that respect, this is the easiest weightloss plan in the world... don't exercise and eat plenty of food.

(I think exercise is great for building muscle and endurance as well as mental clarity, but aerobic activity especially is not effective. In fact, it can hinder certain people's ability to shed pounds... weird, huh?)

2. If you are feeling bad from the food, check your caloric fat intake. If it's below 60%, eat more fat. Up to 80% of your calories is okay.

3. If you've been eating like a bird, eat more food. That does sound counter-productive, but the theory that we have to be in negative energy balance has no basis. When I say negative energy balance I'm talking about how people think that they have to burn off more calories than they consume in order to lose weight. Ask euphoricme if you don't believe me about eating more food.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-11, 03:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/182/112 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

A big thank you to all those who are boosting my moral. However as euphoricme rightly said, we are surely all on here for a reason. Anyway leaving that aside ... I am beginning to get a little restless, as I am now in my third week of induction (yes i am carrying on with it for a while) and I have lost next to no weight. And no it does not seem to be coming off in inches. By the way I am in ketosis, drink at least 5-6 pints of water and am NOT going over my 20g of carbs a day. Honestly what more can i do?
Also i have a question about bacon - I have read that it should be nitrate free, but honestly I have searched near and wide and just cannot find this 'special' bacon. So is normal bacon completely off my menu?
Sorry, one more question I was wondering if you, or anyone you know started Atkins, lost the weight but came off it whilst still maintaining their weight? I have heard that the younger you are, the easier this is to do (i presume it is to do with exercising)
By the way some of your posts were making me laugh. aaha (:
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-11, 12:14

Quote:
By the way I am in ketosis, drink at least 5-6 pints of water and am NOT going over my 20g of carbs a day. Honestly what more can i do?
Also i have a question about bacon - I have read that it should be nitrate free, but honestly I have searched near and wide and just cannot find this 'special' bacon. So is normal bacon completely off my menu?
Sorry, one more question I was wondering if you, or anyone you know started Atkins, lost the weight but came off it whilst still maintaining their weight? I have heard that the younger you are, the easier this is to do (i presume it is to do with exercising)
By the way some of your posts were making me laugh. aaha (:

I am 23 and have not done any exercise, and the weight is coming off. Now I'm in the "last ten pounds" phase which takes the loooongest. You can call me the world's laziest dieter.

You might try flipping through Taubes' book Why We Get Fat:
http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fa...t/dp/0307272702

He talks about exercise and how it's ineffective for fat loss. I mean if you're doing it to feel good, then that's a different thing. But if it feels like torture and you're doing it for the specific purpose to lose weight, it's perfectly okay to hold off until you're close to your goal weight.

I don't eat nitrate-free bacon...just the regular kind. Here's a post relating to nitrates:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ghlight=nitrate

The thing on nitrates is blown waaay out of proportion.

I'm not following the Atkins book to the T. I'm simply limiting my intake to 30-40 grams of carbs a day. The longer you eat this way, the more you will want to eat this way. People on here will tell you that after they have a cheat day and eat something like candy, they feel like crap. For most of us, we get inflammation and stomach sickness. Refined carbs, I think, are actually toxic and make us sick.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-11, 14:14

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoricme
Why is everyone giving this girl this "you need to love yourself" stuff? If she was 24 and 50 pounds overweight no one would think anything of it.

Why should she not try to get in better shape earlier? And finally, why should someone love an unhealthy disgusting body? Seriously, would any of you be on this forum if you loved unhealthy disgusting bodies? I know I hated my body when I was 280 pounds, and I should have... Now at 210 - not so much.

Because food is one of the weapons used in the self-hate war.

Why would we NOT tell her she's worthy of her love?
Is she only worthy of love at goal weight?

Of course we'd care if she was 24, or 44 or 64!
Did we say she shouldn't try to get into shape?
Why would you call her body disgusting?

Perhaps you should look into why you hated YOUR body at 280, and how YOU "allowed" yourself to get "disgusting and unhealthy" and leave this part of it to the people who just might understand that part of body dysmorphia issues.

And not everyone does well with "tough love".
Some people simply need "soft love".
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-11, 15:17

I'm going to get specific here and differentiate between a person hating their fat versus hating themselves as a whole.

I hated my fat. There is no way that I could ever love fat that wasn't supposed to be there.

I love my mind. And now it's time to start loving my body by not putting refined carbs in my mouth whenever I get an extreme bout of depression. My excess fat was a byproduct of the food that I was using to self-medicate myself during those times that I truly hated myself.

I heard on the Tyra show that people who are overweight want to be accepted by society. But should they accept themselves as overweight? Even if they say they're happy with themselves, are they happy with the excess fat? Deep down inside, do they truly not wish that they could make the fat go away?

If we love ourselves, we'll want to treat our body well by giving it the quality of sustenance it deserves.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-11, 03:28

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Just jumping in here about the body image thing.. It's easy to be highly self-critical, especially at 17. When I was 17 I was very, very slim, with a lovely figure, yet I was terribly self-conscious and thought I was fat, partly because of negative comments made by my parents. It took me a long to time to develop confidence in myself, and honestly, I learned to be happy in my own skin and feel like an attractive woman, even when I was very overweight. I used to go out clubbing with younger, prettier and slimmer girls and got more attention and compliments from men than they did, because I was happy in myself, I felt good about myself and I exuded confidence - these things are attractive and more noticeable than a couple of spare tyres.

I think none of us likes to see rolls of fat on ourselves, but actually, I'd prefer to see a few rolls of fat than a scowl. I also prefer to see someone who's a bit overweight than someone with knobbly knees and scrawny bones sticking out. It's pretty difficult to achieve near perfection - even the film and fashion industry have to use lighting tricks and Photoshop to remove flaws and enhance the appearance of their models/stars, who often have punishing schedules and diets, and often have had cosmetic surgery to remove excess fat, etc.

As someone else pointed out, when you're young, you have beautiful, radiant skin, and the potential to be very lovely, whether or not you are a bit overweight. You just need to pay a little more attention to presentation. Wear a little make-up to boost your confidence - mascara will emphasise your eyes, and find a lipstick which enhances your colouring - Boots Number 17 lasts well, isn't expensive and isn't tested on animals. Always keep your hair shiny and well-cut. I would advise against wearing loose, baggy clothes as those will make you look fatter. Try on ankle-length clothes which skim over your shape, and long-length tops which skim over your hips, and which are shaped in at the waist, to show your curves.

Physical looks are of course, less important than ensuring we make the most of our abilities and gifts - that way we will always be judged on our merits, rather than our appearance. However, I do think that it is possible to be attractive while weighing 180lbs.. and I believe that as you get older you'll come to realise it.

You're only young once, so make the most of it and enjoy your teenage years. Don't let a few extra pounds limit your choices in life.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Wed, Aug-31-11 at 03:47.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-11, 17:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

Molly, how much are you eating? One of the cool things about being in ketosis is a really really low blood-insulin level. Without insulin your body can't really store or retain fat. When you eat it takes your body a lot of energy to digest the foods you have eaten, furthermore it seems that the more calories you eat the faster your metabolism gets. What are your meals like?

Yes, Lily you are correct. If someone is fat it is best to lie and tell them that they are not so hopefully you can eventually convince them that it is fine for them to be fat. If you are really lucky and do it properly that person could have a proper life of diabetes, cancer, heart disease and depression.

"Perhaps you should look into why you hated YOUR body at 280, and how YOU "allowed" yourself to get "disgusting and unhealthy" "

As Brinethery properly pointed out it is the fat that fat people tend to not enjoy about their body, shockingly it was (is still) the same for me. I still have about 30 pounds to lose, can't wait for that to be over.

Anyway it is stupid to come onto a weight-loss forum and try to convince people that they have nice skin so they don't need to lose weight. Seriously?
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-11, 18:34

Let me interject here...

Can we cool this discussion down? I think the main point of this forum is for us to get along and help each other out with all aspects of weight loss and this WOE. We can be supportive role models for the people who are just starting out.

Molly, you're doing great. I support you and I know you'll be successful with the choice you made to improve your health. Always ask questions if you're uncertain of something in your plan and don't be afraid to talk about the obstacles. Good luck :-)
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-11, 03:13
Registered Member

BF:

Woah, I think we should just leave this here. (:
Okay, I am not going to lie I am struggling to eat. I have virtually no appetite and when i do have one, i am eating the same old BORING foods which eventually leads me to eating one quarter of the plate to begin with. Recently i have been upping my fats and getting my calories over 1000, like 1400! I really cannot see how people are finding ways to eat when the carbohydrate levels are so low. I mean yes i could snack on chicken, or beef all day, but it begins to make me feel nauseous. And eggs ... I am sick of eggs. ahaha

I am not going to lie, i really do believe I am doing EVERYTHING right - from drinking water to my ratio percentages which lie at 74% fat, 21% protein, and 5% carbs (by the way that is my average)

I am feeling so unmotivated at present, in fact I am getting symptoms that were not there when i was eating so called 'normally' - Blacking out, humongous bloated face, i feel fatter ... What about L.carnitine.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-11, 04:21

BF:

Euphoricme - you were far heavier than Molly, so it is understandable that you feel bad about fat.. However, Molly is already 20 lbs lighter than your goal weight. Why shouldn't she feel and look attractive? It won't stop her trying to lose more weight, but will give her confidence and more success in social and work situations. People cannot let a few extra pounds affect their self-image, as it will have a detrimental effect on their whole life.

I think if you want to debate this issue further, then you could join in the current discussion on the issue in the forum:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...64&page=1&pp=15

This isn't the place for it.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Thu, Sep-01-11 at 06:16.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-11, 05:03

BF:

Hi there, Molly. Sorry you're feeling disappointed. If your calories have been quite low, then your metabolism might need some time to repair itself. You do not need to stay on induction for more time. Adding in more veggies will give more interest to the diet and make it more enjoyable, so start the OWL incremental increases in your daily carb intake.

With regard to variety in the diet, the first time I did induction, my meat intake for the fortnight was 1 chicken breast and 3 rashers of bacon.

Here's a thread in which people suggested alternatives to meat:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=376086

Here are some other suggestions:

Riced cauliflower: This is really tasty. There are various recipe suggestions, including my own in this thread here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...20&page=2&pp=15

haddock ideas:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...227#post7600227

King prawns: simple prawn cocktail with lettuce, tomatoes, king prawns and garlic mayonnaise or home-made prawn cocktail sauce (mix mayonnaise with Lea and Perrins and tomato puree.

Tuna dip: mix tuna with mayonnaise and use it as a dip for veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

Cottage cheese munch: chop 1 red and 1 green pepper and mix them through a tub of cottage cheese with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise.

Avocado and tuna salad: Mix chopped avocado with flaked tuna and add a little sesame oil for flavour. If you don't have sesame oil, you could try making a salad dressing of your choice.

Cottage cheese vegetable quiche: mix up four eggs with a carton of cottage cheese, seasoning etc. Layer a fried onion, 2 sliced tomatoes, 4-6oz sliced cheddar in a container, then add the egg/cottage cheese mix. Cook at 200 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Eat 1/4 hot or cold with vegetables or a salad.

Vegetable curry. Fry an onion, add a tin of tomatoes and stew them with some curry powder to taste for about 5-10 minutes. Add a variety of low-carb veggies of your choice (you could also add some chickpeas or butterbeans when you are further up the OWL scale), season and simmer until the veggies are cooked to your taste then stir through some greek yoghurt to make it creamy. A knob of butter or some coconut oil will add luxury.

Stir-fry tofu. Buy smoked tofu for flavour, and cut into cubes. (You could marinate cubes of ordinary tofu in soy sauce and Chinese 5-spice for flavour). Fry the tofu then remove from the pan. Stir fry onion with other veggies, garlic, ginger, Chinese 5-spice. Add the tofu to heat it through then serve.

I can give you loads of other nice light recipes.. Just let me know when you need more.

You can do it, Molly.. Just give it time. Sometimes the weight takes a bit longer to get off, especially if you've already been dieting and your metabolism is a bit wonky.. Hugs xxx

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Sep-02-11 at 04:49.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-11, 11:26

Quote:
Woah, I think we should just leave this here. (:
Okay, I am not going to lie I am struggling to eat. I have virtually no appetite and when i do have one, i am eating the same old BORING foods which eventually leads me to eating one quarter of the plate to begin with. Recently i have been upping my fats and getting my calories over 1000, like 1400! I really cannot see how people are finding ways to eat when the carbohydrate levels are so low. I mean yes i could snack on chicken, or beef all day, but it begins to make me feel nauseous. And eggs ... I am sick of eggs. ahaha

I am not going to lie, i really do believe I am doing EVERYTHING right - from drinking water to my ratio percentages which lie at 74% fat, 21% protein, and 5% carbs (by the way that is my average)

I am feeling so unmotivated at present, in fact I am getting symptoms that were not there when i was eating so called 'normally' - Blacking out, humongous bloated face, i feel fatter ... What about L.carnitine.

Here's some things that I eat/drink in addition to eggs and meats:

avocado w/ salt and lime
salami
bacon
smoked salmon
smoked gouda cheese
mozzarella cheese
almonds
almond butter
coconut meat
coconut milk
frozen raspberries with splenda and heavy cream
coffee with heavy cream (are you a coffee drinker? because this is delicious)
green beans with lots of butter
cooked frozen broccoli with lots of butter

If something is low in fat, my rule of thumb is to add butter or some other fat to it. It keeps my motor running all day long.

I am not much of a cook, so these are pretty quick snacks for me. Actually, I don't snack... I just supplement these foods with my meals.

You said you're woozy. You'll need to up your salt intake with broth and/or loading up on salt whenever you eat. When a person eats the standard high-carb diet, their tissues are saturated with insulin. That insulin in turn causes the body to hold onto salt... LOTS of salt. That's why when we switch to low-carb that we're always running to the bathroom. Our insulin in the blood lowers dramatically, thus in turn causing the body to expel lots of salt in the urine.

How many calories a day are you eating? Did you say 1400 calories? If it's at 1400 and you end up feeling hungry eventually, then it's okay to up the calories to 1800 (or higher than that). You won't need to worry about putting on weight if you're eating low-carb. I can understand if you're not very hungry right now, especially if you're in ketosis. But definitely make sure to eat more food if your energy level goes way down and you feel extremely hungry. That's your body's sign that it's trying to conserve energy... in other words, it will try harder to hold onto weight.

How many weeks has it been since you've been doing low-carb? I know your body isn't cooperating right now, but give it a little time. You will start to see progress.

Last edited by Brinethery : Thu, Sep-01-11 at 12:38.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 13:00
Registered Member

BF:
Default So very annoying!

I am coming up for my forth week in induction. I appreciate I do not have to stick with induction (but i prefer to) Honestly it is really beginning to bug me now. I am tracking every bit of food on fitday. I mean believe me I agree with patience, but at the end of the day I would like to lose weight at some point, how long do i have to wait, a year? I am eating enough now i believe, between 1300 - 1600 i have a lot of fat. I am not going over my 20g of carbs. I have been very strict. And the answer is no, i have not just come off a low calorie diet ... Maybe there genuinely is something wrong with me :O

I surely should have lost something by now. I am drinking gallons of water, taking vitamins, sticking to DANDR like anything. Is my body Atkins resistant? How long do i have to wait, i really am trying my very hardest. PLUS I am going back to college on Monday ...

I have no problem sharing my days worth of food with you, but i do not know how to transfer it from fitday to here!?
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 13:35

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Excuse me for prying, but how are your BMs? No constipation? Regular? No abdominal pains/cramping in the intestines, etc?