Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-25-11, 09:16

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%
Default Anyone with external candida?

I have a massive overgrowth of candida on my skin, particularly around the private parts. I've been given an oral medication that I take only for three days, and two creams. I am SO UNCOMFORTABLE, and rather embarrassed and ashamed...I know those are irrational feelings, I didn't do anything bad, or wrong, I have good hygeine...just bad luck I guess. Still, I feel this way...NO WAY am I going to let my husband see these areas until they're all cleared up! Otherwise I am quite healthy, and feel good. Maybe a bit tired, but I think that's more from forced inertia...it's hard to get out and about when you're oozing! (ewww!)

I've been reading the threads on this board and most people writing are writing about internal candida, and all the associated problems...my heart goes out to you all, and I wish for your speedy recovery, and strength while you deal with this.

Is anyone else having skin problems with candida? Does anyone have any advice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-25-11, 14:48

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

All I can say is coconut oil. Everywhere. Inside and outside.

You could also try a product made by NOW Foods, called "Candida Clear". I tried it and it maybe helped - I suspected I had candida issues - internally - but I can't be sure.

I regularly get skin problems, fungal thingies being a favourite and since I have been using coconut oil as a body lotion, it is no longer such a problem. I got athlete's foot last year on holiday, though - when I wasn't regularly smearing my feet with the stuff after showering.

Maybe some of us are just prone to this kind of thing for some reason??? I don't know, but I swear by coconut oil for treating anything fungal.

You really should try it!!!

amanda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-11, 13:18
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 420/420/120 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Clinical Diagnosis?

Have you been clinically diagnosed by a physician, and is that where you got your, "creams" and oral medication from?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 22:48

Plan: paleo
Stats: 138/138/130 Female 5ft9
BF:
Progress:
Default Outer Candida

Coconut oil does do wonders for most everything.Eat it and use it on your skin.

I have spots on my shoulders and back. Looks like fungus (it is).
I've been making life changes for the past month and a few weeks. Diet, probiotics, 2 different types of enzymes, one cleanse, and some serious die-off. The spots are candida's outer expression, I've been told.

I joined this blog to discuss with others my experience in killing this beast and to share natural remedies for die off and for just getting rid of candida.

Lately, I'm experiencing these die off reactions.... depression, fatigue, loss of sex drive, insomnia, increase in appetite, dizziness, joint pain, constant throat clearing, brain fog (big time). I'm going to find something for insomnia tomorrow. Any suggestions?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-14-11, 20:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/268/190 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress:

Tea Tree Oil works wonders also
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 05:31

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilcandida
Coconut oil does do wonders for most everything.Eat it and use it on your skin.

I have spots on my shoulders and back. Looks like fungus (it is).
I've been making life changes for the past month and a few weeks. Diet, probiotics, 2 different types of enzymes, one cleanse, and some serious die-off. The spots are candida's outer expression, I've been told.

I joined this blog to discuss with others my experience in killing this beast and to share natural remedies for die off and for just getting rid of candida.

Lately, I'm experiencing these die off reactions.... depression, fatigue, loss of sex drive, insomnia, increase in appetite, dizziness, joint pain, constant throat clearing, brain fog (big time). I'm going to find something for insomnia tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Your symptoms also sound like a thyroid problem...

Magnesium glycinate is good for brain fog - in my experience - and my temporary insomnia improved when I started taking progesterone. How old are you, if I may ask?

amanda
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-11, 21:41

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

My ob/gyn prescribed Boric Acid capsules (not to be swallowed, but to be inserted.)

Worked better than anything else I had tried. I felt better in two days, but continued the 7 day round.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-11, 15:57

Plan: no carbs at all for 4 mon
Stats: 80/65/70 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

The only way to kill candida is to starve it. 2 months with totally no carbs + "candida clear" supplement and it's dead
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-12, 15:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248.3/225.7/130 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 19%

I use extra virgin olive oil mixed with some lavender and tea tree essential oil. Have had is REALLY bad externally. Meds were not working. Started using this (at the start of using it I used the oil with more essential oils- stronger mix) and now i use it everyday to prevent anything and it's fabulous!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 18:43
Registered Member

Plan: protein power
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 64in
BF:17%-18%
Progress: 100%

I didn't know this was here.. I have an external candida outbreak.. on my face. I have gone completely carb free.. and dairy free. I suspect my overgrowth had something to do with my milk allergy I ignored. Anyways, since I've cut out all the carbs and dairy it has gotten better..its not over but it is better. I've been using clotrimazole cream on my face and arms (I don't have it on my arms but better safe than sorry). I've also been washing my face with Head and Shoulders.. you've all had luck with coconut oil? I read that adding oil is bad, but hey I've read that low carb diets are bad too .
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 23:38

Plan: Atkins, Anti-Candida diet
Stats: 128/121.2/118 Female 5'5"
BF:hip/waist ratio
Progress: 68%

Boric acid works wonders on fungus and yeast. It's my best friend. You can buy boric acid powder , mix it into an athlete's foot cream (in a small bowl), and apply this concoction onto your infected areas twice a day. Continue 3 to 7 days more after your symptoms disappear.

Start taking strong probiotics (a few billion bacteria in one capsule)
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 06:39
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

OOO (organic oregano oil) works wonders. No more yeast for me. Take capsules or drops internally, and also mix with coconut oil and apply on skin.

You can get OOO gelcaps at swansonvitamins.com. Take 1-3 capsules every hour or so. The die off can be tremendous and your BMs will be green and foul smelling. Keep that up for 2-3 weeks and then take 2-3 times a day for a month or so.

There's an old, long thread on the use of OOO in the Candida forum.

Taking ACV (organic apple cider vinegar with the mother) 2 tbsp in water a few times a day also helps.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 07:10

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I had a terrible problem with this under my breasts and on my C-Section scar. It's horrible, I agree. I find that when I drink black tea, like Lipton and Earl Grey, or have too much sugar or have hormonal issues, this seems to trigger it. For me, cutting out fermented foods and sugar is a big help, but honestly, the only medication I've tried is the cream Nystatin and the powder. Both were prescribed by my OB/GYN. Maybe you should make an appointment. These natural things are great, but sometimes, you just want to nip in the bud quickly. I really recommend the powder, which you can request from your doctor. It keeps those damp places dry, while it's healing it. The creams just became so slimmy! Yucky. Best wishes. Oh, and make sure to go without your underwear when you're around the house and just wear loose fitting soft pants. Also, I've found that blow drying the area after I shower is great too. That tip came from my roommate in college.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 19:15

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 287/264/145 Female 5ft 4 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I have what I think is candida in the form of a dry patch on my right side and the first time I noticed it was 11 yrs ago ..the size of a pencil eraser. Since then it has grown to about the size of a quarter. When I had asked the Dr about it, he prescibed a steroid cream to be used 2 wks on and one wk off. It seemed to work, but the week off, it would become red. I finally gave up and tossed the cream tube in a drawer. Yrs had passed when I began noticing it was growing in size from the pencil eraser to dime size and then nickel size over the yrs. I began trying this and that , thinking it was excema and ran across the steroid cream tube again and began using ti. Again..it cleared up some for the 2 wks on and became red on the week off the cream. By that time, it was beginning to itch just a little and sloughing off skin layers and becoming tender. It also began getting ridges around the edge and splotchy raised places within the ring. Off to the internet I went upon the suggestion of a health store man that it might possibly be ringworm. I researched but none of what I read on ringworm matched my symptoms. That's when I ran across the info on candidia overgrowth. I hadn't even considered it as THAT kind of fungus. The info said we can get candida from taking birth control pills,( which I had done over 25 yrs before), and we can get it after taking antibiotics... ( which I had taken for steppe throat in yrs past), and that we can get it from contact with someone who has it. I remembered noticing yrs before that my hubby had a scent of yeast on his skin which was a surprise, beause he smelled like bread rising. He has IBS, by the way. Who knows how I got this, but I'm ready to get RID of it. I did the saliva in the glass test and it seemed a positive reactron and my tongue was a little white in the center even after brushing it hard with my toothbrush. All was pointing to candida. I have been low carbing for about 9 yrs..on more than off it, but recently removed mushrooms from my meals ( which I miss terribly).

What the health food store guy said ( and he seems to have a photographic memory and is a walking info treasure), about food grade hydrogen peroxide caught my attention and he gave me info on that to read. I dashed home and did more research and realized I had nothing to lose but some Candida! I have been taking the drops in water and am up to 10 drops each AM. At first I got up to 6 drops in water too quickly and my face broke out and then my neck and I backed off the drops to 5 and then slowly built back up. It purifies the blood, so the eruptions are evidence of it working. They use it to treat many diseases around the world and have even had positive results in killing the Aids virus. They said in the reports, the phamaceutical cos don't want this info out bc they will lose scads of $$$. ANyway , heres the low down: The food grade H2O2 is 35% in strength whcih can do some serious damage to the skin if not diluted. The kind in the drugstores is only 3 % and we all know how that bubbles up and turns the skin white on contact ..and kills germs. The food grade kind is kept in my freezer ( well marked for danger unless diluted) but I use a small dropper bottle ( ALSO MARKED) of it for my daily drops in the fridge. The first dropper bottle I used had a rubber squeeze tip and that gradually disentigrated and stuck together so drops couldn't be collected in the dropper at all.... and when I mentioned it to the health store man he said that was typical because of the strength of the H2O2 and I needed the hard plastiic dropper top. It's working beautifully and has a cover lid.

I used to take the drops in flavored water because the taste bothered me, but then I blew that off and decided to just put the drops in 4 oz of tepid distilled water, sip it down fast with a straw, then immediately follow that with 4 oz MORE of distilled water with no drops to wash the taste down. That way, in my stomach, the drops have 8 ozs diluting them, but I only have to drink 4 with the taste and the straw helps it get down with barely a notice until all gone...and then I taste it.

The results on my dry Patch: I have noticed a HUGE difference in the dry patch. When I miss the drops in water, it turns red and gets the ridges again ( telling me I have more candida to chase down) and when I take it, the skin smooths some, is less dry and the color is evening out. I know I will be left with a scar when this is said and done, but I'm hoping this is arresting the candida growth. The man had told me to start applying it, diluted topically too so I will try that and also the coconut oil I just purchased, since I read somewhere up in this thread it helps. If this dry patch sounds familiar to anyone, I'd love to hear back.

Oh! I had a toenail fungus last yr and used an internet suggestion of 30 sec soak in hydrogen peroxide ( reg kind) plus vinegar, then a rinse and a 15 sec soak in bleach water, then rinse, and an application of teatree oil. The fungus cleared and my nail grew back after a few weeks. where I had lost part of one. sandi

Last edited by SinginSSng : Fri, Mar-23-12 at 19:31.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 04:34
Registered Member

Plan: Stillman's
Stats: 249/155/114 Female 1.65
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi Sue

I'm really sorry you're going through that. I get eczema (candida) rashes around my mouth, all over my hands (sometimes so severe that's it's difficult to type for the cracked skin), under my breasts, on my trunk and sometimes on my upper thighs and behind my knees. It's such a horrible thing because it's so visual.

My way of fixing it is by dropping the level of fat in my diet. Just temporarily. I do it for about a week, eat an almost fat-free diet. Within about two days, my skin feels calmer and the itch is so much less.

Unfortunately, I've fallen off the wagon over the last few weeks, and when I fall, the candida rears its ugly head and boy do I pay for it! Luckily I know how to clear it up.

I strongly recommend removing all fats from the diet, only for about a week until the symptoms clear. If you like, you can do a quick google search on "candida low fat" or "80/10/10 candida". It's not a lifestyle for me, unfortunately, but the results were astounding.

I wish you all the best and I wish you good health.