Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 11:53

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 138/143/130 Female 64.5 in
BF:
Progress: -63%

That would be difficult not to drink! Hopefully you won't have to do the fake drink and then try to act like everyone else. ;~) Sounds like an interesting job you have, though. Lots of fun?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 15:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, I want Angie's job!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 10:32

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks to the Armour, I felt better this weekend than I have in a very, very long time! I hope this will last! Wow - what a difference. My husband was amazed. I was making "Tickle Me Pinks" for folks and had several real drinks with no problem whatsoever.

I had a thought about the original post, even though I see now it was a long time ago. When my hypo first started, it seemed like my body would try really hard to "compensate" and things that were depressants (like alcohol) didn't affect me as much as my body was waging a war. However, as the disease, and the resulting hormonal imbalance got worse, the opposite happened and I lost my tolerance. With the Armour, I now feel quite normal once again.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 10:36

Plan: ADKINS
Stats: 200/200/180 Male 168 cm
BF:
Progress:
Smile high tolarance for alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaterGirl
I have a weird problem / observation, and the endorcinologist I finally got referred to had NO interest in hearing about it at all (He was a condescending ass from the start of the appointment, too!)

Anyway, I've been hypo for years. About a year ago, at the same time my thyroid tanked, my alcohol tolerance went WAY up. I did not drink often/a lot, and usually liked to rely on a glass of wine to help with pms or back pain from time to time.

ALSO at the same time, my tolerance for painkillers went WAY up as well. I used to keep a prescription for T3's in my bathroom for emergencies (If my back got to the point of making me wish I was dead, I'd take one). 30 pills would last 6-12 months. All of a sudden, rather than them making me stoned feeling, sick, giving me a hangover (all of the reasons that I HATE taking them and avoid it at all costs), I wouldn't feel even so much as a dent in the pain, slight nausea, or any sign of that awful "stoned" feeling. Regular tylenol, aleve.. nothing worked for anything anymore.

This all went on for a year. I tried a few times over the past year to see if it was possible for me to get intoxicated, and no dice. Probably not the smartest idea, but the whole thing baffles me.

This week, after being on a new, higher dose of synthroid for several months, I got sort of fuzzy after ONE drink. I took some Aleve for my back that night, under the hunch that it would actually help, and it did!

As un-classy as this sounds, the next day I decided to test it again, and managed to get pretty drunk off about 7oz of alcohol. Big change from last October, the first time I decided to try to get drunk. I gave up after 17 shots and a few vodka coolers.

A couple of my friends present that night are either pretty far along in med school, or actual doctors. They're baffled. Aside from being hypo, I'm VERY healthy, and they pointed out that if it was a liver issue, the exact opposite would be happening.

Because it's followed the pattern for a long time, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar pattern. I find it kinda weird to be thinking "Ooh! I can feel the alcohol! My thyroid must be a bit better!!", but it really has remained consistant through a few waves of it.

For whatever it's worth, I also seem to have developed a VERY high tolarance for alcohol. I wonder why. Can you help?
Thanks
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-23-10, 10:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nka
I can totally relate to this. I can drink HUGE grown men under the table and when i went to get my oral surgery done; I was under twilight sedation, had 3 doses of halcion, and still needed a shot of novocaine every 60 to 90 seconds. He said he never used that much medication on anyone and the killer is that I told him about it and he said I wouldn't remember anything so he gave me a code word to remember while I was starting to feel the IV and I remembered the whole procedure and told him the code word when I was done. He said in 15 years I am the 2nd person who was able to do that.
also I've had 4 c-sections. During my first two I was given epidorals (sp?) and each time they had to inject me 15 times before I was numb enough for them to do the surgery. No one believes me when I tell them this.
Thankfully my last two c-sections were under general anesthesia because the first two were nightmares.

I know this is way old and you're likely not going to read this but wow! That is scary. I saw something on TV awhile back about people being awake on the operating table but because they give them paralytics, they can't even tell them they're awake. ack!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-10, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb no tolerance for alcohol with hypothyroid

Well, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more research on this subject b/c reading these posts, it appears that I am not the only one with an intolerance for alcohol with hypothyroidism/Hashimoto Disease. My husband now calls me "Me, Myself and Irene" when I have anything to drink. Been on synthroid for a year now just recently had my dose upped to 1 mcg daily. Glad to know I'm not crazy.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-11, 16:04

Plan: my own
Stats: 306/212/175 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:
Default so glad i found your post

i know i may be a little late...but i know exactly what you are talking about! i just recently found out i had thyroid problems...but this summer i started drinking a little and no hang over, no buzz, no blackout, nothing...so i switched drinks...to jager...i would drink everyone under the table and still be able to talk straight and walk straight! everyone was looking at me like i something was wrong with me! i dont mean i would have shots, i would have whole glasses at a time! the last time i drank i had a whole bottle of it myself and no hangover, nothing! then i started taking thyroid meds and now i am afraid to drink...i have only been on it for a week and i worry that it will not mix well together and i will fall out...i plan to test it out this weekend at mardi gras but with moderation!
it makes me feel better to know i am not the only one that this has happened too!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 23:31

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I don't know about the cause: I've been LCing and on Armour for about a year -- my tolerance for alcohol is extremely low. At 210 pounds I can barely have a half a glass of wine, and a Michelob Ultra almost makes me drunk. I used to have a fairly healthy tolerance for alcohol, even drinking tequila shots, but I think that would kill me now.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 22:14

Plan: Personal
Stats: 115/115/110 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:
Default Neonatal hypo and alcohol

I don't know what Armour is, but I was born without a thyroid--therefore I have neonatal hypothyroidism. I take levothyroxine and I haven't noticed much in alcohol drinking. I do get drunk quick being I only weigh like 115 lbs. That's as far as I know, any more advice on hypothyroidism and alcohol issues?
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 22:14

Plan: Personal
Stats: 115/115/110 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Then again, sometimes my tolerance is pretty high...
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-13, 13:02

Plan: Don't follow one
Stats: 110/108/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default Just thankful I am not alone

I ran across your thread and honestly makes me feel so much better, because most of the other threads say that with their hypothyroidism their tolerance has disappeared, and mine is the opposite, I do get tired and generally have a difficult time even really drinking, but I ran out of my medication approximately 3 weeks ago and just noticed this weekend that I can't get buzzed, being only 110 lbs and drinking pretty much a half pint of vodka, my hubby was on a mission to "make me more fun" and get me buzzed, and while he was tipsy I was not affected in the least, and finally told him it was pointless to try. Sorry I drink to get the affects and if they don't come then whats the point, I have also noticed the same thing with my prescriptions, I have add and am prescribed Adderall and no matter how many I take I don't feel any affects from them. Same goes for caffeine, I don't get the jolt of energy as I did before, but ironically it will still effect my ability to sleep, where I just have this tired feeling, but can't fall asleep. According to other's it seemed like I was the exact opposite, so I wonder why some of us have one reaction (noticed other's posted on here with similar reactions) and others have the exact opposite.