Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 21:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/~165 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default hyper, not hypo

hi, im new, just started the diet (today is my 5th day) and just joined the board, so please forgive me this is covered somewhere that im just not seeing.

It seems that all the talk in this part of the board is about hypoactive thyroid, but what about hyper? i was diagnosed with hyperactive thyroidism a while back and am taking medication for it (5mg of tapazole daily). does anyone have any info on if i maybe shouldnt be doing this diet until im off the meds, or whether or not the meds will mess up the diet for me? any help would be great, thanks.

Matt.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 08:04
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I don't know that much about hyperthyroid, but here are some links to get you started.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ht=hyperthyroid

a short thread of people with hyper who have done lc successfully

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hyperthyrdgraves/

A site with lots of information about the thyroid in general and some on hyperthyroidism.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 08:42
Registered Member

BF:

thanks, sadly none of those really helped.

heres the thing. i should be winding my medication up, my doctor seemed pretty confident that in june he can take me off the tapazole. i asked him about this diet, he basically said what any doctor would say (and didnt really stress the point), "take it in moderation. dont completely cut out carbohydrates, just cut them down."

so im on day 7 today of the atkins induction diet. ive noticed one symptom that i had when i first had the hyperactive thyroid diagnosed, which is that my heart seems to be harder then it should.

i dont know if this means maybe the thyroid is hyper again, or if its a typical thing to feel during the first days of the induction diet.

any idea?

Matt.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 18:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/?/130
BF:
Progress: 11%

Matt,
I also have Hyperthyroid. I go to my Endo Doc every 4 months watching it. my heart has been pounding away lately. He told me that some people with this condition end up in the ER thinking thay are having heart attacks etc... He wants me to now go see him more often like every 2 or 3 months and to call him if I have ANY more problematic symtoms. I haven't lost an ounce! I am really puzzled by it. Should be losing like crazy!

peace

rebecca
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 01:28
Registered Member

BF:

yah, i went off the diet recently. i lost well for the first month, but after that i plateaued completely. i didnt loose another pound. i am supposedly coming off my medication soon (im doing 5mg tapazole once a day; im wondering if the medication might be why i plateaued), so im going to try the diet again after that maybe.

Matt.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 07:55

Plan: LCHF to appetite
Stats: 210/206/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Lots!
Progress: 9%

I too, am hyperthyroid and have been for 4 years. I am currently on 10 mg tapezole daily. I started Atkins 5 days ago and have lost around 5 lbs so far. I have done alot of research on what kind of diet to eat in my search for a natural way to heal my body from this disease. Everything I've read has promoted a high protein, low carb and raw veggie diet. The only symptom I seem to experience that is a hyper T symptom is diarreah. I don't know if it's from my thyroid or just the drastic change in my eating habits. I'm hoping it's just my body adjusting to this WOE.

I wish I would have seriously considered this WOE 4 years ago! I've felt SO good since starting this.....better than I have in a long, long time. I've pretty much decided that, even if I don't lose alot of weight, I will forge on so I can feel like this forever!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 10:10
Registered Member

BF:

BluiizCA,
Have you taken the RAD (radioactice iodine) to kill the thyroid yet? Or are you JUST taking the Tapazole? My Endo Doc is suggesting that I do the RAD and get on Synthroid or Armour Thyroid. I really don't like the idea of throwing myself into Hypothyroid, so I am just "hanging" as I do not have full blown hyperthyroidism.

peace,
rebecca
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 10:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

http://www.mediboard.com/ubb/ultima...p?ubb=forum;f=1

here is a link to a site that a friend of mine uses -- she found out she had grave's about 6 weeks ago.

They talk about food lists and things and going over it with her it is so much atkins minus milk, soy and things that would have iodine in them.

I know the worry is when the hyper gets better to go hypo and begin to gain weight and there is a lot of discussion on that also.

I hope this helps.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 10:52

No, I have not had RAI (Radioactive Iodine Treatment). I refuse to have this done. I also do not want another surgery....a thyroidectomy, in this case. My Endo gets frustrated with me but I believe my thyroid can be healed. These are the only two forms of treatment for hyperthyroidism. You are basically trading hyper for hypo. Physicians can control hypo easier than hyper AND hyper is potentially more dangerous if you do not take care of yourself.

Yes, the dietary recommendations are very similar to Atkins minus dairy and soy products. I frequently visit a website called www.ithyroid.com. This has some very interesting information as well regarding vitamin and mineral supplements.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 21:32
Registered Member

BF:

BluiizCA,
WOW..........that site was a real eye opener! I have had a deep feeling in my gut that RAI was NOT a good thing. My Endo Doc has been trying and trying to get me to do it! I have refused. /thank God I did. I am going out to get some supplements tomorrow and get this Thyroid healed NATURALLY! Thank you So Much for this really terrific site! WOW.I am just stunned.

peace to you,
Rebecca
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 02:26

beachgrl,
I'm glad you found the information useful, and I'm glad you were able to get more information. When it comes to our health, we are our own advocates. I strongly believe in doing as much research as possible before I embark on any medical procedure or treatment.

Good luck to you and keep me posted on how things are going!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:47
Registered Member

BF:

BluiizCA,
Today I went to my local Health Food Store and bought Copper. I already had many of the supplements on the list, but as the literature stated, I will just start with the Copper and add from there. Iron, Chromium etc. I am determined to heal my Thyroid naturally!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a gut feeling I have that it is indeed possible. I will be getting bloodwork done in August, will keep you posted if you like.
Again, thank you very much, I have been searching for months for this information, I knew it existed.

peace,
Rebecca

Last edited by beachgrl : Sat, Jul-12-03 at 19:49.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 09:15

I'm glad I was able to help. It took me awhile to find that information as well. I also have blood work in August. Yes, please keep me posted!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 11:01

Stats: 283/275/250 Male 5ft11
BF:
Progress:

Hi there. For you guys who have hyperthyroidism, how is it? From my knowledge, the thyroid hormones T3 and T4 control metabolism, right? If you have too little, you can't lose weight, but too much and you can eati like a pig and not gain anything. Apparently some doctors perscribe those hormones, and I was wondering how it is to have an overactive thyroid.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 07:59

Double A:

Speaking for myself only, when I was severely hyperT, the first symptom was uncontrollable trembling. It got so bad, I couldn't write and was constantly dropping things. Your heart beats at such a rapid rate, it feels like it's going to jump right out of your chest. I was so extremely fatigued and yet, when bedtime rolled around, I felt like I needed to get up and clean or do something extremely physical. Sleep evaded me for about 8 months. I lost 65 lbs. in 4 months and ate constantly. I could eat anything I wanted and still lose however, all I did was breed very poor eating habits. I was living with constant anxiety and irritability. I had gone to the doctor a few times for other problems and my heart rate was a constant 145. At that time, I was clueless. Now that I'm more educated, I'm furious. I was put under general anesthesia twice with a heart rate like that. I've since found out that I could have easily died on the operating table both times. Why didn't any of these physicians question my heart rate?? I was a walking time bomb....ready to explode at any time while under the constant care of a few physicians.

I work in a hospital and many nurse friends of mine KNEW I was hyperthyroid yet my doctors all brushed it off when I asked to be tested. I had to literally throw a fit in my PCP's office to get a blood test. Because the lab screwed up and did the wrong test, it took 3 blood tests to finally get through to my doctor that I had a thyroid problem. On the third attempt, the doctor's nurse actually called and told me my thryoid was fine. They eventually realized their mistake and had me paged out of a meeting to get down to their office ASAP. My T4 was 5.5!!

I've since taken my health into my own hands. I have a great Endo, but she can be very stubborn at times. I've done my homework and she knows she can't pull the wool over my eyes. I started Atkins because of the research I've done on HyperTs and diet. I've been here for about 4 weeks now and can't tell you much better I feel! When I was severely HyperT, I taught myself how to eat poorly. These eatings habits caused me to gain back all 65 lbs plus some after I went on anti-thryoid drugs. To be honest, I haven't felt all that great while just on the drugs. I still had bouts with rapid heart rate and most often felt generally crappy. Now that I've started this WOE (and this type of diet comes recommended), I feel 100% better!