Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 15:47

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default The Great Eades Smackdown, 2010!

Colpo responds to Dr. Eades. He is taking it to another level.

The Great Eades Smackdown, 2010!

http://www.anthonycolpo.com/The_Gre...010_Part_1.html
Quote:
Anthony Colpo,
March 4 , 2010.

Dr. Michael Eades Gets His Butt Kicked…Again!

Note: This article contains strong language. Please close this page immediately if you are a minor or easily offended...

Looks like a war in the making to me.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 19:11

Plan: Intuitive eating
Stats: 200/125/- Female 1.62m (5'4")
BF:
Progress: 97%

Men fighting for the position of alpha male.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 19:42

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

And that is just Part I!

I glanced at it, but won't waste my time reading it. If you have a fact-based strong argument to make, there is no need to insult people with differing opinions once or twice per sentence.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 19:53

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
If you have a fact-based strong argument to make, there is no need to insult people with differing opinions once or twice per sentence.

Yup. I would welcome an honest debate, and we all have our own confirmation bias when it comes to all the different studies, but that dude is just bent on insulting anyone and everything that doesn't agree with him. Sad, really.
Snot-nosed kid, to say the least.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 20:09

BF:

The article is excruciatingly long. But cursing aside, I find it interesting none the less. Yes he is insulting Dr. Eades all the way, which is very unfortunate. But on the other hand, a great deal of what Colpo says actually makes sense. So much that it's scary and I'm a bit ashamed for Dr. Eades now.

Patrick
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 20:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
The article is excruciatingly long. But cursing aside, I find it interesting none the less. Yes he is insulting Dr. Eades all the way, which is very unfortunate. But on the other hand, a great deal of what Colpo says actually makes sense. So much that it's scary and I'm a bit ashamed for Dr. Eades now.

Patrick
OK, maybe I will take another look when I have a free hour or two. I really wished that Dr. Eades hadn't sunk to Colpo's level - it makes him look just as foolish and unprofessional - he should have just ignored Colpo from the very beginning.

Was Colpo ever obese and sedentary for a decade or two? I suspect the biggest difference is that Colpo's clients are body builders who want to look "shredded" whereas Eades' patients were obese with screwed up metabolisms - so they are at opposite ends of the metabolic spectrum, so one size does not fit all.

All I know in my personal n=1 lifelong experiment, the last 20 years for which I have daily weight records and food diaries, is that I DO get a metabolic advantage from a vLC/HF diet. On the Pritikin diet (<10% fat, 15% protein, 75% carbs) I could lose 0.5-1 lb a week or maintain once my loss ground to a halt, on 1100-1200 cals/day and 10 hrs of exercise per week. On my paleoish version of Atkins/PP (<10% carbs, 15-20% protein, 70-75% fat) I could lose 0.5-1 lb a week and maintain once my ideal weight was achieved on 1900-2000 cals/day and 0-1 hr of exercise per week. And I'm a lot older than when I started dieting 40 years ago!

Last edited by deirdra : Thu, Mar-04-10 at 20:52.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 20:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

It's good.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 20:49

Plan: loosely PB
Stats: 197/135/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I try to stay out of the urine stream.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 05:29

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

You know when somebody speaks to you of something important and you get closer to hear him better only to realize that his breath stinks? Suddenly what he says doesn't matter anymore and you just want to stop breathing, get some distance between you and him and hope that he chews a mint, right? Well, that's how I feel about Colpo's writings. I keep my distance until he chews a mint or two.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 06:48

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

here's how it appears to me:

Dr. Eades contends that these metabolic study results are subject to interpretation, and not rock solid proof of anything.

AC contends the metabolic ward studies ARE rock solid proof, and proceeds to offer his contorted interpretation as to why.

Without reading all of AC's screed (too long, too much ad hominem), my conclusion is that Dr. Eades has a good point. The metabolic ward studies that AC holds up as the holy grail are indeed subject to interpretation. AC pretty much proves that himself with all of his, as I said, very contorted interpretations.

That said, I don't really believe there's enough of a metabolic advantage to make much difference, and that calories do count if you want to get past a certain point on a LC diet. But I don't get why its a big deal to AC, and his defense on this point seems ridiculously weak.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 07:16

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

it's really funny that some of us just don't get it ! Who cares that the man is fat or not ? The fact is that Mr. Colpo took the time to brake down the scientific evidence for us and making it E-Z for us to see what is going on , now I , and I said I, I feel that the men is a credit to all of us, that being said Dr. Eads is a fraud and is hurting lots and lots of people. I truly do not care if the men likes to argue or not the fact is he has always put out good stuff. I for one think that Mr. Colpo is a credit to everyone.
Ron*
PS this is just my own personal opinion.it would've been nice if this was in a war zone where this really belongs.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 07:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreddy
...AC contends the metabolic ward studies ARE rock solid proof, and proceeds to offer his contorted interpretation as to why...

Well, this is one of the things. Colpo actually contacted the study author.

Quote:
Of course, Eades would have you believe that ward studies really aren’t very well controlled and that we therefore can’t trust these results. Rather than believe the suspect claims of someone with an established history of distorting evidence to suit his own agenda, wouldn’t it be better to directly ask the actual head researcher of this study? That’s exactly what I did, and here’s what Dr. Guenther Boden said:

“Our study volunteers were housed in our clinical research unit, were under 24 hour supervision, had no chance to sneak in food (and had no motivation to do so ).They never left the ward during the study.”[Personal communication with Dr Guenther Boden, March 3, 2010].

Bottom line: This study was as tightly controlled as anyone could possibly hope for, and makes a mockery of the poorly controlled slop that low-carb fanatics like Eades serve up in support of MAD.

Patrick
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 12:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Mocci
it's really funny that some of us just don't get it ! Who cares that the man is fat or not ? The fact is that Mr. Colpo took the time to brake [sic] down the scientific evidence for us and making it E-Z for us to see what is going on , now I , and I said I, I feel that the men is a credit to all of us, that being said Dr. Eads [sic] is a fraud and is hurting lots and lots of people.
I don't care whether Mr. Colpo was fat or not, but what works for him and other body builders is what seems to drive his one-sided interpretation of every study he reads (but his approach is what caused me to gain 50 lbs!). Whereas Dr. Eades' approach is the only diet and way of living that has worked for me after 35 years of yo-yoing (making it possible for me to lose 60 lbs and maintain it effortlessly).

Research that just came out basically agrees that there are more than one type of metabolism and each responds to a different diet. I have been on all four (and 2-10 years on each one), and only one (paleoish Atkins) has been able to normalize my weight, metabolism, & desire for food while eating nearly twice as much food (a sumptuous 2000 calories instead of a measly 1200) . Check out: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=408862

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Mar-05-10 at 12:41.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-10, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: ANTI Anthony Colpo
Stats: 180/180/180 Male 74
BF:
Progress:

Obesity is extremely complex and the case agsint the classic caloric model is VERY STRONG.

Please look into Dr. Robert Lustig and the worldwide epidemic of obese 6 month olds. The calorie theory is a theory born of logic alone and completely ignores the DATA.

See my other post in the "Dr Eades on Anthony Colpo and calories" section for more detail.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-10, 04:26

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

deirdra you send me to a link that has a news paper, and AHA.( DNA test 'could predict most effective diet) could predict , Could Predict means nothing to me. try giving me the scientific evidence please. As far as concerned I didn't know that Atkins was paleo.and now the American Heart Association I went to the link that you provided, and this made me laugh. Quote,Acknowledgements
The American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology and Prevention and Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism gratefully acknowledge the educational grants provided for this program by:
Pfizer, Inc is a proud sponsor of the Joint Conference - 50th Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention - and - Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism - 2010
International Chair on Cardiometabolic Risk, Université Laval, Québec, Canada is a proud sponsor of the Joint Conference - 50th Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention. Just like all the rest look who is sponsoring this. Sad sad sad, congratulations on your 60 pound lost I am very happy for you, you would think being a senior member that you would know why that is accumulated try looking here and please get back to me I would love your take on this and I hope that helps you out as I feel that you never read Mr. Colpo's book. Here is a link to the above statement.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM I have watched this three times.
RickSantos I see that you are new. Hi and welcome
(-: if you would like to send me a link, I would love to read it. Thank you Ron*