Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 18:51

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 259/253/185
BF:
Progress:
Default HELP!! What am I doing wrong?

Well, this is the beginning of week 8. I am very discouraged, I need help.
I am nearly 100 pounds overweight, I have diabetes (oral meds), high blood pressure (oral meds), an under active thyroid (oral meds)...and on and on.
I have been on the Atkins diet for 7+ weeks, have lost only 12 pounds (on a good day). Have followed the diet religeously, inches have changed, but now have slowed.
AVERAGE DAY: Today
Breakfast: 2 eggs (poached with butter)
Lunch: 1/2 chicken breast, with 1/2 cup saute'd onion/green pepper and mushrooms and 3 slices of swiss cheese melted on top. A small cucumber, plain with some salt.
Dinner: 6 oz boneless pork chop (grilled), a medium dinner salad, with lettuce, romaine, two or three slivers of red sweet pepper, about 6 cherry tomatoes 1/2 small cucumber with olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing.
Late snack: I'm munching on some deli oven roasted turkey breast.
This has been my general routine for nearly 8 weeks, why isn't the weight dropping. Why have I never achieved Ketosis. Some days I have much more 'fat' than this particular day, ei: bacon, chunk cheese, deviled eggs...but very little carbs, generally less than 30 grams.
PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME TIPS, ENCOURAGEMENT, SOMETHING. The only really positive thing out of this diet, is my blood sugars are WONDERFUL !
Thanks, everyone and anyone...BH
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 19:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

BH, you appear to be under-eating. Only your dinner appear to be adequate. Low-calorie works in the beginneing, but slows your metabolism and works against you in the long run.

Why not start a journal and log your entries, some of our knowledgable members will help you with spotting out some additional things you can do to optimize your progress. But 12 lbs isn't bad either

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 19:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default BH

Are you drinking your water? You didnt list any beverages... coffee? soft drinks?

Dairy fats and processed meats (bacon, luncheon meats, saussages) can all be stallers. There's an article by Doreen under "Low Carb Tips" on Stalls and Plateaus, take a look at it (its at the top of the page in orange); it may help you some.

Don't worry about ketosis, some people never show even a trace. There's an article under "Tips" on Ketones and Ketone Test Strips (also by Doreen) that should aleiviate your fears.

Hang in there.... some people are slow losers, and the medical complications can't be helping. Looking on the bright side can often help. You have lost weight and as you said, your blood sugars are great.

Cheers,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 19:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi B Hooper

I checked your profile, and I see that you are diabetic on oral medication. That may be your problem right there. Unfortunately, some of the oral hypoglycemics (Diabinase, Diabeta, Glyburide, etc) will stimulate insulin production. And the excess insulin will inhibit fat-burning. Metformin/Glucophage instead will sensitize your cells to insulin, so you produce less, and blood sugar is kept under control. If you think this might be a concern for you, definitely make an appointment to see your doctor. If you are achieving good blood glucose readings with the lowcarb diet, then you might be able to cut back or even cut the meds out entirely .. DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT DR'S SUPERVISION.

It's more than just eating more. You may need to keep carb intake low, Atkins level or around 20 to 30g per day. You might consider upping the protein intake, especialy earlier in the day .. 2 eggs is barely 10 grams protein.

I highly recommend you get your hands on a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He explains lowcarbing and blood sugar control in minute detail, but very clearly so it's easy to understand. Several exerpts from his book are posted on-line, at his website .. http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/

hope this helps

Doreen