Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-19, 14:22

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
As nearly as i can figure out (based on further research), the solvents that the study suggests cause the problems are those that are used mainly to remove the coconut odor from coconut oil.

So my best guess is coconut oils that still smells of coconut is safer, while those that are odorless have probably have the "process-derived contaminants."

Fortunately, I don't mind the flavor or odor of coconuts in most foods so I think I'm going to look for a cold-pressed "virgin" coconut oil. I'm not sure "organic" is that big an issue since I don't think coconut trees are typically treated with inorganic pesticides or other chemicals anyway.

Look for Unrefined
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-19, 14:38

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
If I'm understanding this abstract correctly, IF (big "if" IMHO) it turns out that saturated fats like coconut oil really do raise serum cholesterol levels and IF (another big "if") it also turns out that high serum cholesterol really is bad for one's cardiovascular system, then the problem might not lie with the saturated fat itself but with certain contaminants that are introduced into the saturated fats by modern refining processes. Why does this not really surprise me?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30878531

Guess maybe I'll start paying a bit more to buy cold-pressed virgin coconut oil instead of Lou-Ana brand. And, I wonder where I can buy plain ole minimally processed (i.e, non-hydrogenated) lard - the kind you need to keep in the fridge - to cook with? Pretty sure my local HEB only carries "blocks" of shelf-stable (hydrogenated) lard.

Yeah, I've never seen it at HEB either, but another store near me (Food Town in this case) with many Hispanic customers carries it. Not the fancy white lard you'd use for pie crusts but the less solid tan-colored type from subcutaneous pork fat. I wonder if a Fiesta grocery store would carry it?
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-19, 14:45

BF:

Food Town, yes it's gotten pretty sketchy there but it use to be my favorite place to go for low priced meat and veggies. After a friend told me she stopped taking her purse and only puts her card in her pocket, I don't go there anymore.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-19, 15:34

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
As nearly as i can figure out (based on further research), the solvents that the study suggests cause the problems are those that are used mainly to remove the coconut odor from coconut oil.

So my best guess is coconut oils that still smells of coconut is safer, while those that are odorless have probably have the "process-derived contaminants."

Fortunately, I don't mind the flavor or odor of coconuts in most foods so I think I'm going to look for a cold-pressed "virgin" coconut oil. I'm not sure "organic" is that big an issue since I don't think coconut trees are typically treated with inorganic pesticides or other chemicals anyway.

Thanks for trying to clarify the situation.

USUALLY " organic" also applies to any processing, and not just how the plant was grown. The products I see are "orgainic" or not labeled as such; "refined" or "unrefined"... still brings me back to no clear answer...
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-19, 15:38

BF:

As for lard, it is the dairy case.

At my butcher, it is not readily available because pork arrives ready to be packaged and no trimming needed.

If you buy fattier cuts like butt, cut off the extra subQ fat and render using very low heat.

-----

Never seen cold pressed CO......
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-19, 15:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Thanks for trying to clarify the situation.

USUALLY " organic" also applies to any processing, and not just how the plant was grown. The products I see are "orgainic" or not labeled as such; "refined" or "unrefined"... still brings me back to no clear answer...

And than you have to ask yourself, Do you trust an Organic label from a foreign country?

Refined is tasteless, refining removes scent and flavor
Unrefined tastes and smells like coconuts, an Almond Joy/Mounds

disclaimer: tastes and smells like an Almond Joy (not that I should remember, it's been 5+ years since I had one)

Last edited by Meme#1 : Tue, Mar-19-19 at 16:12.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-19, 15:56

BF:

Having a bottle of co on the desk, googled the company and found their complete listing of "OILS"-- made me uncomfortable to see non-food oils packaged by this company.

http://www.cvoils.com/productlist/

Looking for contact information.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-19, 16:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Gosh. Am I ever glad I'm not in-vitro.

I get coldpressed as well.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-19, 06:33

BF:

Sent an email to the bottlers of Butcher Boy. cvoil.com, and in an effort to not offend in hopes of an honest answer.

"What method of refining is used for the BUtcher BOy ORganic Coconut oil (refined)? IF solvents are used, which ones? Is heat treatment used, if so what temp and how long?? Is it a cold pressed method?

Thank you."

Meme, it is hard to trust in-country sources, so trusting out-of country sources is 10x more mistrust.

This Butcher Boy label says: Product of Philippines. Certified Organic by QAI.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-19, 06:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
And than you have to ask yourself, Do you trust an Organic label from a foreign country?

Refined is tasteless, refining removes scent and flavor
Unrefined tastes and smells like coconuts, an Almond Joy/Mounds

disclaimer: tastes and smells like an Almond Joy (not that I should remember, it's been 5+ years since I had one)

I 've made a breakfast cereal that is a GOOD " Almond Joy" , all LC of course, and that is the only time I use the unrefined with that coconutty smell to enhance the Almond Joy experience.

If folks would like to list bottlers of the cold pressed types of co please---
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-19, 12:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

My big jar of NowRealFood coconut oil was on sale at iHerb.com.

I like this company, which has lots of delicious green tea from St. Dalfour, supplements, real Vietnamese cinnamon, and other low-carb-useful items. Free shipping over $20, which is also nice.

The label says "Organic, virgin, cold-pressed and unrefined, non-GMO."

And I have been eating this kind of coconut oil for so long I no longer taste the coconut! Which I kind of miss. I have to eat coconut shreds to get the flavor
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-19, 12:54

BF:

Thank you!
Quote:
My big jar of NowRealFood coconut oil was on sale at iHerb.com.