Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Ranchers praise Dr. Atkins for steering dieters towards beef"

Ranchers praise Dr. Atkins for steering dieters towards beef

Jason Markusoff, The Edmonton Journal

Sunday, February 22, 2004

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmo...78-C0FBB5CA1E94

RED DEER - The good doctor Atkins has been as kind to the beef industry as he has been to waistlines.

Ranchers are praising the high-protein diet, because it appears to be propping up beef consumption in Canada and the United States.

That means more money for hard-up beef producers, struggling through the mad cow crisis.

"I always like to have people have more beef in their diet," Brian Edge said, with a chuckle.

"The more they eat, the better for us -- and for them, too," added the Cochrane rancher, who was attending a beef industry conference in Red Deer on Saturday.

Reports estimate that 30 million Americans follow the Atkins plan, which steers people away from eating carbohydrate-rich foods like bread, pasta and some vegetables.

It has also become the top diet craze in Canada and Britain, turning many into voracious carnivores.

The patriotic spike in beef consumption Canada saw during the mad cow crisis has slowed, market analyst Anne Dunford told the conference.

She had no hard numbers, but said anecdotal evidence is strong that Atkins has caused a rush to the meat counter.

"It seems like it's gone beyond the fad stage," she said.

U.S. analyst Duane Lenz agrees. He said each American needs to eat three to five pounds more beef this year than usual because the mad cow scare caused countries to shut borders to American exports, as well.

With Atkins hysteria, that extra consumption goal seems likely, Lenz said.

"I've even seen 7-Elevens which have stands advertising Atkins sandwiches."

Most ranchers may not follow the Atkins diet per se, but are certainly putting more beef on their dinner plates. Last summer, many filled their freezers with whole or half carcasses, to help their neighbours or themselves get rid of excess cattle.

jmarkusoff~thejournal.canwest.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 15:31
Lurking LowCarber

Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I bet PETA and the PCRM are just loving this, too. I know I am!

Beef. It's what's for dinner!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 08:44

Stats: 200/195/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I bet PETA and the PCRM are just loving this, too. I know I am!

Don't forget Oprah.