Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Yeeeehaaaa I did it -- I've Lost 120 lbs in 35 weeks!

View Article Article tools
  #91   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 07:37
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbedd
I don t have a clue to how many calories I eat....Im rarely hungry.......what does it matter....?
Jo lost...stuck to program..feels its sustainable..the proof will be in whether she can maintain long term and be healthy....that's the proof for all of us...Im cheering for you Jo!

Yes, what you say in bold is the truth. Once we lose it, keeping it off is our next battle.
I think that it can be said that its actually easier to get it off than it is to keep it off. But its not impossible as so many of us here are proof of that.

I recall when I was in weight loss mode, that I felt practically hypnotized to my food plan. Nothing could deviate me from my task at hand. Now, all these years later, my focus is changed and my desire for weight loss is not as great.

I wish you, Just Jo, very long term maintenance success!!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 08:26

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I think that it can be said that its actually easier to get it off than it is to keep it off. But its not impossible as so many of us here are proof of that.

I recall when I was in weight loss mode, that I felt practically hypnotized to my food plan. Nothing could deviate me from my task at hand. Now, all these years later, my focus is changed and my desire for weight loss is not as great.

Agree heartily with everything Judy said. I'm kind of awed now by the iron will I displayed during weight loss mode. I sat for hours with my hard-drinking, pizza and pasta eating, party animal friends and never once reached over to sample a French fry or order a small glass of wine. Hypnotized by my food plan is a great way of describing it. In maintenance the hypnosis has worn off and I have to work at maintaining focus or slide into quicksand. My weight is steady +/- a few pounds so there's no excitement anymore. Honestly, I wish I'd somehow been prepared for that.
  #93   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 08:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Agree heartily with everything Judy said. I'm kind of awed now by the iron will I displayed during weight loss mode. I sat for hours with my hard-drinking, pizza and pasta eating, party animal friends and never once reached over to sample a French fry or order a small glass of wine. Hypnotized by my food plan is a great way of describing it. In maintenance the hypnosis has worn off and I have to work at maintaining focus or slide into quicksand. My weight is steady +/- a few pounds so there's no excitement anymore. Honestly, I wish I'd somehow been prepared for that.

Yes, I miss the excitement of seeing losses too! I live vicariously through other's.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 02:18
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thinchix
I have to point out that she went EXTREMELY low calorie to do this. I don't think Atkins as he designed it would be so fast. Although he talked about calories, he NEVER recommended levels such as Jo used.

You are right that He NEVER recommended levels such as I used but he did say this:

Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution
1992, 1999, 2002
p.143

“Although there is no need to count calories, they do matter. Gaining weight results from taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis, and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than in a low fat/high carb diet so that there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach. But understand that this does not give you a license to gorge.”

Dr. Atkins Super Energy Diet
p.205

“If weight loss stops short of your ideal weight, even though you are producing ketones. You must conclude that the quantities within the diet are too great. The diet usually works best with just enough calories to stave off hunger. Too many people misinterpret the instructions regarding the diet as “Eat Unrestrictedly.” When they do this they will still lose weight in the beginning, which will reinforce their assurance that no heed whatever need be paid to quantities. In most cases, this practice will lead to a stalemate partway to the desired goal”.

p.205
“You may have to count calories in addition to carbohydrate. I have never said that calories don’t count, because I know of course that they do. I say that carbohydrate counts more. If your case is especially difficult, you may have to count both.

For most people, restricting carbohydrates is all that is necessary. However, there is no question that a 1500 calories 10 gram diet will take more weight off, and more quickly than a 2000 calorie-10 gram diet. So if you are having trouble losing you should cut down on your quantities, but not to the point where you where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger”

Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
p.275

“Q. Don’t calories play any role?

A. There’s no question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric intake.

If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger.

I felt neither hunger nor discomfort at any point in this journey. I am under the care of a doctor who monitors me 4x a year and she is rather pleased with my results. I started this with no chronic diseases at all, except for being morbidly obese. I hope this explains my rational about why I went low kcal as well as low carb -- I wanted fast results and I got them without risk to my health or well being.

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill
  #95   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 02:44
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
RE: 2) I never ever tried to figure out what my CCL was so that I could maintain the weight loss -- this time I will! I want to lose about 3-5 more lbs so that I have "wiggle room" as I slowly increase the carbs (5 per day for 2 weeks, then evaluate the results before I add 5 more)

It seems like adding 5g carbs per day is too much too fast to determine the CCL. I would think that you'd add 5g and then wait several days, because not all reactions occur immediately. When I get to goal, I'm going to add 5g a week most likely, and see how that goes.

Here's what I meant... sorry for the confusion:
Add approximately five to eight grams of carbohydrate daily for a week or two and analyze the results (i.e., week 1 = 10 carbs a day, week 2 or 3 = 15 carbs a day and so on).

#96   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 02:47
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
I saw a mention of almond milk...I'm using that now, but a particular brand: Califa coconut-almond milk. 8 oz has 1g carb and 50 calories. There is zero sugar in it. I use it in egg white protein smoothies. I'm trying to decide if I even need it (could use water, I guess), but it tastes nice in the smoothie and gives me extra calories, so why not?

I'm going to look into Silk Almond Coconut Blend Unsweetened it's 35 kcals per 8 oz and also 1 carb gram. Sounds yummy.

#97   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 02:49
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Congrats Jo you are doing amazing!!!..heres to maintenance!!

Thanks lowcarbedd... this is a scary step but I'm mentally and physically ready to proceed!!

Quote:
I don t have a clue to how many calories I eat....Im rarely hungry.......what does it matter....?
Jo lost...stuck to program..feels its sustainable..the proof will be in whether she can maintain long term and be healthy....that's the proof for all of us...Im cheering for you Jo!

You are so correct, the proof will be if I can sustain the weight loss -- I feel that I will be able to, I guess we'll have to wait (or is that weight???) and see.

#98   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 02:56
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Yes, what you say in bold is the truth. Once we lose it, keeping it off is our next battle.

I wish you, Just Jo, very long term maintenance success!!

Thank you Judy!! I agree, losing the weight is the easiest part of this journey and I hope to be counted among those veterans that have kept it off after x number of years. That is true success and something I have NEVER EVER achieved in the lose/gain past -- but I REFUSE to REGAIN!!

#99   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 09:03

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Hi Jo - Meant to ask you: What kind of, and how much, exercise did you do while you were losing?
  #100   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 10:10

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Jo, looking at your determination and success in losing the weight, I KNOW you can maintain too! Don't doubt yourself, you've got all the tools in place to succeed. I think maintenance is mostly an issue of not really changing your diet so much. There is never any going "back" to even a shadow of how you ate before. You can eat a few more "forbiddens" but not much. And you probably will need to weigh yourself to see how things affect you, and learn what you can and cannot eat without gains. I know for myself, I will have to be vigilant every single day because my inclination is to want bad stuff (i.e. sugar).
  #101   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 03:53
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereen
Hi Jo - Meant to ask you: What kind of, and how much, exercise did you do while you were losing?

As I am typing at my computer, I have a stationary bike that my DH attached a platform to and I peddle as I type. Im a school teacher so I do a lot of computer work. I average about 3 hours a day peddling, granted I'm not sweating bullets but I am peddling about 3 miles an hour. On the weekends, I can be at the bike for 5-6 hours because I teach 6 different electives in a very small school and so I have to write lesson plans etc. I also knit and crochet at the bike... I'm a multi-tasker!! I started peddling because I have varicose veins real bad in my legs and peddling seems to really help the pain.

I also do 20 mins of wt training 4x a week as well as walk 5 miles a day during the week (this is just at school doing my job -- so I am on my feet all day long). I have a Samsung Note 3 smart phone with the Bluetooth enabled watch that has an apps for walking/exercising etc. It's brilliant!!

But I've done A '72 a ga-zillion times before without exercising and still lost a lot of weight -- many people do. But I do it now because it makes me feel awesome and I figure at my age, it can't hurt!!

#102   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 04:03
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Jo, looking at your determination and success in losing the weight, I KNOW you can maintain too! Don't doubt yourself, you've got all the tools in place to succeed. I think maintenance is mostly an issue of not really changing your diet so much. There is never any going "back" to even a shadow of how you ate before. You can eat a few more "forbiddens" but not much. And you probably will need to weigh yourself to see how things affect you, and learn what you can and cannot eat without gains. I know for myself, I will have to be vigilant every single day because my inclination is to want bad stuff (i.e. sugar).

Thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement, CMCM, that's my plan this time around, I know I am NOT a carb eater unless I want "FAT Jo" to come back and she's not ever coming back. I know this is mental and attitude is EVERYTHING. I am not an emotional eater, so that's not going to be a "trigger" for making stupid food choices.

I'm going to share my journal entry for today (I journalize everyday) but I thought today's is spot on with what you are saying:

I have been immensely committed to this LC WOE for the past 307 days. I have not been tempted to eat those toxic killer carbs at any point during this journey (except for the “Thanksgiving Fiasco of 2013”) which is a remarkable feat in itself. I have been so dedicated to this and what it means to my self-esteem more than what it means to my health. Well I don’t/didn’t have any health issues related to being chronically morbidly obese that others suffer because of their weight, which is a blessing onto itself. I must continue to follow this LC WOE because I have put so much effort into it and I know I am mentally and physically ready to continue. I REFUSE to REGAIN!

I understand that I will never ever be able to eat carbs like “Fat Jo” use to eat, which is fine with me because I hate her and everything she represents, most importantly her lack of self-control when it came to eating. I am a control freak and as of 307 days ago, that was ONE of the few areas of my life that I could not or would not control. Now I am in complete control of my eating. “Nothing Tastes as Good as being at my Personal Weight Goal feels!!”

#103   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 11:15

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Jo, thanks for sharing your journal comments. What amazes me about you is your level of near total commitment from Day 1, and your comment about not cheating or being tempted. That of course explains your immense success in many ways, and that is such a key to success that we all can learn from.

My journey has been so different. I'm a strong, committed, take-charge person so all other areas of my life, but NOT with the eating. My struggle with losing a mere 45 pounds (I'm at this since 2000) has all been one of "trying" to control my desire to eat certain foods, mostly sugar type things. I lose, I regain, I lose, I regain, I give up for periods of time. It really angers me that in 14 years I haven't dropped all that weight. If I divide that 45 pounds by 14 years, all I needed to lose was a frigging 3.22 pounds a YEAR. A YEAR!! Break it down farther and it's 0.26 pounds a MONTH over that 14 years. Yet my mindset and emotions about this stupid food didn't permit even that. So that REALLY makes me mad at myself, especially when looking at your immense success in less than one year.

Which brings me back to my belief now that MOST of weight loss is in your mind and how you think about it. And this aspect of weight loss is what I work on most, now. I know Atkins works, I know exactly "how" to do the diet and "how" to lose the weight. It's the other stuff that has always stopped me from more success. So my attitudes are what I work on now, and frankly, I'm really tired of the emotional battle. As Nike says, "JUST DO IT." And keep the emotion out of it! That's my motto.

Last edited by CMCM : Fri, May-30-14 at 13:47.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 11:40

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Jo: Thanks for the response and congratulations on achieving goal weight.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, May-08-14, 03:09
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

CMCM, I agree about that "MOST of the weight loss is in your mind and how you think about it." But our society sets us up for failure -- how many ads on tv revolve around selling us food? You drive down the street and you're assaulted by fast food franchises at every corner. You get together with friends and there's usually food involved -- celebrations = foods (birthday cakes, etc). Then society's ideal body shape doesn't help the matter either.

We're addicts, pure and simple. But unlike alcoholics, or illegal drug users who can just say NO & not buy their drug of choice (I know it's not THAT simple) but we HAVE to EAT.

The "Just DO it" mentality is one I share with you. It's also one that people who have NEVER ever had a weight issue ponder about us -- how come we just don't realize we're fat and "Just Do it" meaning lose the weight. Personally, I often wonder what "their crosses to bear" are if mine is solely my weight issues?

You know CMCM, I've been yo-yoing with my weight my entire adult life... lose 100lb, gain 'em back, lose 'em gain 'em and on and on and on. I just hope and pray that this time I have broken that vicious cycle.

I think I figured out WHY I would gain and it's because once I lost the weight I thought I could go back to eating like other people -- it wasn't a WOE or a WOL it was a D.I.E.T and that was so stupid... **sigh**

Don't be so hard on yourself -- you have lost weight and kept it off and that's always a HUGE PLUS. Remember attitude is everything, so I am going to cheer you on as you continue your LC WOE journey -- hang in there you can do this!!!

Last edited by Just Jo : Thu, May-08-14 at 03:15.

Article tools