Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 00:51
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default can you wash carbs off meat

I've been trying to save my money by eating LC cheap, and I live in a place with no cooking. The last week I've been living on peanut butter, cheese sticks and 1 tv dinner, usually a 50 carb Marie Calendar teriyaki chicken.

I'm down this week, so hopefully can lose weight, but am craving real meat, especially ribs. I know a great take out but their covered and sitting in a pool of sauce, a horrible sweet one at that.

Can I lose most of the carbs by washing that mess off?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 06:08

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

You won’t get all the carbs off, but you will get it below the MC meal levels for sure. Can you also ask if they have any unsauced meat in the back?

I’m not sure where you are, but do you have access to canned chicken, tuna and salmon? Or a rotiserry chicken? Or a fast food place with a weekly burger special, like Brahms has 5 burgers for $5 on Tuesday where I live. You can buy them and ditch the buns and have meats that way.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 13:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

If you aren't cooking at home, a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store can be a better buy than a TV dinner and provide 4-6 meals. I even pick them up and choose the heaviest, which can contain 100g more than the lowest weight chicken for the same price. Cut it all off the bone and refrigerate or freeze the leftovers in individual portions. When rotisserie chickens are on sale in my area, they are cheaper than raw/frozen.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 18:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

If you are talking about BBQ sauce or some other sauce you probably can get that off by washing, which would lower the carb intake. Like others have said it might be easier to order or buy without sauce. Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 19:07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
You won’t get all the carbs off, but you will get it below the MC meal levels for sure. Can you also ask if they have any unsauced meat in the back?

I’m not sure where you are, but do you have access to canned chicken, tuna and salmon? Or a rotiserry chicken? Or a fast food place with a weekly burger special, like Brahms has 5 burgers for $5 on Tuesday where I live. You can buy them and ditch the buns and have meats that way.

Another reason to move to Texas!!! After they raised the minimum wage here Mc Donalds cheapest burger is $7. I ended up getting a very satisfying burger, after a morning of fasting for a blood test I lost my willpower. I lived on the canned meats and chicken you mention after 2 years of this it's gotten so very old.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 19:15
Registered Member

Thanks deirdra I will try to get into chicken again and salad mixes. It was my go-to for a while, sometimes I feel the need for beef or pork.

Thanks, LCer4Life. I will see if they can do without the sauce, it's unlike anything I have tasted before; molasses mixed with honey and a cup of sugar thrown in. I am going to try the wash, its a gain in flavor to lose it. It's usually premade by the dozen sitting there under the warming lamp but I can try.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-18, 10:01

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

If you have access to even a small freezer and a microwave, you can buy a bag of frozen, precooked sausage patties. The family size bag with about 30 sausages in it costs around $7-8 dollars in Dallas. Each patty has 1 gram of carb and you can microwave two of them in about 65 seconds. Quick, easy and not just chicken.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-18, 10:06

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Nawchew--- you have done sooooo well!!!! Perhaps count that meat with the sugar sauce ( washed off, of course) as your carb meal, you know, instead of the TV dinner. I cant live without beef. Just a fact of life for me. It has far more nutrients than any other meat like chicken or pork.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-18, 12:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Nawchem, be aware too that teriyaki sauce is generally not gluten-free.

Ask the rib place if they do dry cajun spice. Most restaurants I've been to do it for wings, and it's never on the menu.