Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 07:56
Registered Member

Plan: NHE
Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%

Yes, Zuliekaa,

We've both said the same thing. When you sit back and observe the controversy...you scratch your head and say, "how can this be???" I know person A is not lying. But I also know person B isn't lying either! There has to be an explanation...!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 08:09
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Greenwings
In no way do I doubt Kent's findings or his and his wife's successes. I am just saying while Atkins is the panecea for a lot of people, and especially for the major portion of the obese, it is not for everyone, not even all obese people.

How did I find out? I answered the questions and then tried the diet. The heavier proteins and fats gave me energy and satiated me. Further instances related in the book fit me to a tee and explained issues I had been puzzling over for a while. Like why did I seem to get hungrier when eating eggs, chicken breast and lean meats. I've also found that animal fat is more satisfying to me than vegetable fats such as mayonnaise and salad dressings.

Another quirk was the explanation, since I am a carb addict on CAD...it made a lot of sense to me, that for a protein type to go without carbs for a more than two week period will reverse the feeling of energy they attained by eating the correct protein. I.E, that the diet is a mix, an appropriate protein:carb:fat ratio and a person can be on a sliding continuum along that spectrum. That just because I'm a protein type, that doesn't mean I don't need carbs and that my need for carbs can be higher than another protein type. To me this explained why I need CAD which allows carbs everyday and why some Atkiners are subject to what I call the two week binge cycle.

The interesting part, and the part that I think the book was week on, is the part of appropriate supplements, which are not just based on type but on a person's unique underlying body chemistry. This answered the question of why, when everyone on the board was recommending a mix of potassium and magnesium for leg cramps, the combo knocked me out and made me lethargic and disoriented. Potassium alone cures my leg cramps and doesn't interfere with my energy levels. The book explained what was happening with just such a case. That's why I will pay for the testing. I think it would be optimum to know just what supplements to take and which to leave alone. It would save me a lot of money in the end too, lol!!!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 08:40
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, I found the supplement part very interesting...in fact, I'm now concerned about what my husband is taking and would like to have him "typed." Whether or not he will cooperate is another matter...

I think we were posting at the same time...Kay3osu made the point that Kent's results were impressive. Apparently, he wrongly determined his type. I would probably would have, too, if I had based it on the questions alone.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 09:09
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Greenwings
I think it was important to answer the questions from the point of a "clean" slate, i.e., before Atkins, lc or any other diet program. LC corrects a lot of the imbalance of protein types and if answered while on lc for a while, it might give use a false reading.

I thought it was interesting how many triple digit people are/were carb addicts pre lc but if answered now...on lc, they would test as not carb addicted.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 09:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Greenwings said:

Quote:
I belong to another forum in which many, if not most of the members are anti low-carb. They claim to have had their health damaged by Atkins and similar, and see it as their mission to prevent others from being harmed by this "evil." Who am I to doubt them...and who am I to doubt those who maintain that low-carb has been the answer? Rather, I think BOTH are guilty of making "blanket" statements like, "it didn't work for ME, so that means it is bad for everybody." Sorry, that's just too narrow-minded for me!

I can easily understand their comments that the Atkins' diet damaged their health. They are LIARS, and they have a good motive for lying. They are religious vegetarians. I visited Dr. Andrew Weil's message board for years reading all their nonsense. If you want to see some really sick people (both mentally and physically) visit the "Health Conditions" section of Dr. Weil's message board. They attack Atkins because of the red meat issue. Remember, we are talking about eating their reincarnated grandmother. To them eating animals is a very serious issue. They will propagate any lie in hopes of turning people away from eating animals. They have no interest in truth.

In my first post on Dr. Weil's board several years ago I stated that eating lots of red meat and saturated fats gave me awesome health, which it certainly did. The board went ballistic, which reminds me. Where are the 36,000 low-carbers to challenge the stupid "Metabolic Typing" nonsense in this thread?

Animal Rights Terrorists Strike Again?

Kent
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 09:49

Zuleikaa said,

Quote:
I am a carb addict on CAD...

OK Zuleidaa, tell us the truth. You tested "protein type" on the Metabolic Typing Diet test after you were already convinced the high-carbohydrate diet was unhealthy, right?

You see, that is the reason the Metabolic Typing Diet is a fraud and a scam. One can easily see by the question what type they will score. Obese carbohydate addicts will always test "carbohydrate type" by the test unless they have been turned away from the high-carbohydrate diet previously. They are obese and carbohydrate addicts because the carbs make them feel better.

The same can be said for hypoglycemics. They get initial horribly bad reactions to low-carb because of their inability to correct blood sugar properly. They would certainly never test "protein type" on the Metabolic Typing Diet. They also feel an exhilarating boost from the blood glucose surge upon eating carbohydrates. They also feel they must nibble complex carbs all day long in order to feel "good." They always test "carbohydrate type" in the Metabolic Typing Diet but that diet is what caused their hypoglycemia and will lead to their early demise.

Zuleidaa, I am shocked that you are promoting this Metabolic Typing Diet while claiming you are a carbohydrate addict yourself and following the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. You could easily steer a new comer from this low-carb board into a life on a high-carbohydrate diet that ends in misery and disease. Shame.

Kent
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 09:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent
In my first post on Dr. Weil's board several years ago I stated that eating lots of red meat and saturated fats gave me awesome health, which it certainly did. The board went ballistic, which reminds me. Where are the 36,000 low-carbers to challenge the stupid "Metabolic Typing" nonsense in this thread?

Many here ignore the War Zone, since it's mostly a place for none low-carbers to present their case. However, issues like blood-type, metabolic type or any "typism" issues cannot be easily addressed, as they have no scientific basis, just someone's assertion that it is so, period. Hard to argue with that on any meaningful level.

Wa'il
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 10:05

The following is an interesting quote from the book review section on Amazon.com for "The Metabolic Typing Diet" written by William Linz Wolcott and Trish Fahey.

Quote:
January 15, 2004
Reviewer: A reader from BC Canada
Found the quote below on Dr. Kelly's website. Would anyone like to comment?

"In the mid 1980's Mr. William L. Wolcott found a paperback edition of Dr. Watson's Nutrition and Your Mind. At the time Mr. Wolcott was an employee being trained by Dr. Kelley. Wolcott was unable to comprehend the Kelley Metabolic Typing Paradigm, his employment was terminated. Wolcott then appropriated Dr.Kelley's copyright name of "Metabolic Types." Wolcott furthermore produced a most defective nutritional program marketing it through Dr. Kelley's trained Physicians and Technicians. Nutritional Programs being promoted from Watson to William L. Wolcott and Dr. Harold J. Kristal, D.D.S. and a multitude of other con-artist are defective to their very core.

Like so many other establishment frauds, these creatures have tried to change the definition and meaning of Metabolic Typing originally developed and established by Dr. Kelley. Because of their limited mental capacities they cannot comprehend the total parameters of Metabolic Typing. These gentlemen want to rename and limit Metabolic Typing as Fast and Slow oxidation, which is a gross error."

at http://www.drkelley.info/articles/archive.php?artid=320

However, I must add that I believe Dr. Kelley's Metabolic Typing theories to be a bunch of nonsense also.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Mon, Feb-09-04 at 10:08.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 10:08

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

I seem to remember seeing Dr. A on TV being asked about typing, he responded in his usual avuncular manner that the type premise couldnt be accurate, since low carbing works diet works for almost anyone, no matter what their "type" is...
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 10:17

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kent, don't know if you remember me but you helped me tremendously. still am struggling but improving. what you said about hypoglycemics up there was more than true anyway, i was also labeled a fast oxidizer. what is it exactly? good to hear you and wife are feeling great!! K
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 10:25
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Kent
Actually I went into the test with no preconceived notions. If I thought about it I probably would have supposed I was a mixed type because I like carbs and have to have them to feel well. That's a different issue than the fact that if I were not on CAD, carbs as I was eating them were not good for me and ultimately could have harmed my health. Many of the questions I really had to consider and had no idea how they would relate to or reveal what metabolic type I am. I deliberately answered the questions, as it told me to, as I am if I were not on any diet therefore, by your reasoning, I should have been revealed as a carbo type. I was not.

Carb addicts are not obese because the carbs make them feel better and so they love to eat them!!! That is much too simplistic. Rather carb addicts have a chemical reaction and insulin response to carbs that make them never satisfied or satiated no matter how much/many carbs or food they eat. That would not make anyone feel better!!! Abnormal, crazy, frustrated, pathetic, and devastated maybe!!

Your statement that hypoglycemics always test as carbo type is not true either. Many hypoglycemics on the board have tested as protein type also. I've told you it isn't just a matter of which foods do you crave or which foods make you "feel" good, it's a matter of which foods make you energized and which do you perform better on. I've yet to meet a carb addict or a hypoglycemic who feels energized or performs better on carbs. Rather they crash and become lethagic. The good feeling of carb ingestion is a fleeting and short occurance.

Kent I think you are making too many blanket statements here. When dealing with people and biology, situations/factors are rarely "always" and "never". Otherwise microorganisms would never change and evolve. Tell that to the AIDS virus and SARS!! I believe that people are unique in the individual and that their biological chemistries are also unique. I further believe that humans are very adaptable and have had to be to survive and thrive. And humans have thrived. Humans have thrived on all kinds of diets with all kinds of protein:carb:fat ratios. I acknowledge that and to me The Metabolic Typing Diet explains the differences I have always seen and pondered.

I feel no shame. I have an open and inquiring mind. I know and have seen that what works for me might not and often does not work for the person beside me. I would not suggest to someone wanting to try lc that lc does not work!!! LC does work, and very successfully too, for the people for which it's metabolically suited. However, I stand by my statement that this is not a one size fits all diet world!! LC does not work for all!!!

There are fanatics on all sides. Having a closed mind to other realities doesn't change either the relative truth or someone else's reality.

Oh, BTW, re where are the 36,000 low carbers out there to dispute this nonsense. There was a discussion on this a while ago and many low carbers thought the concepts made a lot of sense and explained situations they had observed themselves.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Mon, Feb-09-04 at 10:44.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 12:10
Registered Member

BF:

Kent,

My "other" forum is not connected to Weil, but I know the tone very well. One has to be very, very careful not to mention LC...or there will be a half-dozen posts in a matter of minutes. They are not, however, animal rights activists. Many of them simply had negative results with Atkins. One, in particular, claims to have ended up in ER with a kidney problem. Not being into animal rights, why would this person lie? Why do many others manage to maintain slim physiques while indulging in sweets, etc., just as long as they exercise? Why can't I do it that way??? God knows I tried...for years!!!

Speaking of religion, I was actually raised in a religion that advocated vegetarianism. I was taught that we were not originally intended to eat meat, so it can't possibly be good for us. When they talked about our teeth and our digestive systems, it made sense to me. (They weren't animal rights advocates, either, just human health advocates.)

But when I tried to lose weight, nothing worked! No kind or amount of exercise, not calorie cutting...not portion control, nothing! I couldn't lose an inch or an ounce to save my life. I finally went AGAINST the advice of those around me and tried LC...and voila! The proof is in the pudding...but I had to open my mind to find out. Still, I hear from many who claim they are losing weight with exercise alone, or just by cutting portions or calories, or a combination of both. You think they are lying?

Actually, you could go back to that Weil board and throw Metabolic Typing at them as an explanation as to why low carbing is so successful for you!

My purpose for posting in War Zone was NOT to attack Low Carbing! Maybe posting in War Zone was an implication that I was in some way against low carb(?) If that's the case, then that was my mistake. My intention was to dispel controversy!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 12:55

Kay3osu, it is good to hear from you again and the good report. I appreciate your kind remarks. Hang in there. Not only will your weight loss progress continue but you can expect many health improvements along the way. Low-carb is known for weight loss, but the best advantage is optimum health and healing.

Kent
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 16:37

Greenwings said,

Quote:
Many of them simply had negative results with Atkins. One, in particular, claims to have ended up in ER with a kidney problem.

I imaging that many people end up in ER when they begin the Atkins diet or any other diet. The error by most people is to blame the kidney problem on Atkins. Many people have pre-existing health conditions such as a kidney problem that are revealed by a diet change. Dr. Atkins addresses these issues very well. People with a heart condition should start a new exercise program with caution even though exercise is considered to be heart healthy. The exercise program is not the cause of their heart disease and neither was the L-C diet the cause for this person's kidney disease. The person with the kidney problem would have adjusted the diet toward higher fat and lower protein. Many people still have the low-fat mentality when they begin Atkins. The L-C diet is a high-fat diet.

Other examples of pre-existing health conditions which can send one to the hospital upon starting the Atkins low-carb diet are:

Taking blood pressure lowering medication. The natural normalization of blood pressure on L-C results in over medication and a below normal blood pressure.

Taking diabetic medicine may require backing off the meds when going on L-C or may require making other changes. The Atkins' group is coming out with a new book for diabetes.

Hypoglycemia can cause low blood sugar when starting L-C. Taking glutamine amino acid may be required until blood sugar levels are stabilized naturally by the body.

The high-fat diet may reveal gallbladder stones and a trip to ER with a gallbladder attack. The L-C diet does not cause the gallbladder problem. The stones develop routinely in people on a low-fat diet.

Kent
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 16:39

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

My husband's side of the family - everyone is skinny. They are not high carb eaters. They don't like sweets (desserts that are brought over do not get eaten) and they crave salt and vinegar type snacks. If anyone is snacking in the house it will likely be mixed nuts or pickled hot peppers. My husband started to eat high carb when we got married and within about 6 months started having indigestion problems. I knew immediately what it was and offered him more of "his" foods (before I was low carbing).
I was brought up on high carb and my body tolerated it until my mid-teens. I started to realize at that early age that I was having indigestion, constipation, etc but didn't know why. I continued to ignore my body and became VERY ill in my late 20's with a candida infection.
I believe our metabolisms are all "essentially" the same. However, if you start to low carb at age 30 or 40, your body is in for a HUGE change (as was my husband's body going from relatively low carb to high carb).
I believe low carb is the way we are supposed to eat.
Trying to be a vegetarian almost killed me (no touche' intended but it is the truth).