Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 12:35

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%
Default Homemade Flour

Sometimes, plain almond flour is just too heavy for what I'm making, so I've been experimenting with homemade flours.

My basic bake mix is made with:

1 cup almond meal (grind your nuts with 1 scoop of whey protein to get a fine grind without it turning to nut butter)
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup vanilla whey protein powder
(1 cup wheat protein isolate) (obtainable from honeyvillegrains.com)
(1 cup soy protein isolate)
(4 packets of Splenda)
4 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 tsp salt.
2 Tbs xanthan gum (keeps baked products like cookies and pie crusts from crumbling apart)

Store in airtight jar.

For bisquick / jiffy-type bake mix, for every 4 cups of flour, cut in 1/2 lb (2 sticks) of butter or non-trans-fat shortening until thoroughly incorporated, and store in airtight jar in the refrigerator.

For a lighter flour (e.g., for yeast raised products):
1 cup vanilla protein powder
1 cup vital wheat gluten
2 Tbs baking powder
1 Tbs baking soda
1 200mg (two hundred milligrams) vitamin C tablet, crushed as fine as possible, OR, 2 tsp cream of tartar (creates a good environment for yeast and helps retard spoilage)

I've had good luck using these flours one-for-one in recipes calling for regular flours.

Honeyvillegrains.com sells most of the basics for homemade flours; you can get dough conditioners from professional baking sites. I'm still working on refining this project, but it's a start. HTH.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 00:46
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

thank you for the link to the honeyville grains site. i'm looking forward to trying the wheat protein isolate.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 09:01

Plan: Abranavel's BodyType
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
I'm looking forward to trying the wheat protein isolate.

I love Honeyville as well and purchse a number of low-carb baking items from them.

They sell two variations of Wheat Protein Isolate: Arise 5000 and Arise 8000. I use both, and both work differently in recipes. The Arise 8000 is very similar to Vital Wheat Gluten; Arise 5000 is a lighter and fluffier flour, not like Vital Wheat Gluten.

Scott123 could give you the best explination about these flours. You should call or email Honeyville and have them give you an explination of the two flours. Like I said, they both work differently. I use the Arise 5000 as a base to my baking mixes and I use it heavily in baking, in general.

You'll love the stuff!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 12:26
Kitchen Experimenter

I didn't know which to order so I went with the 5000 just to try it. I also saw and got a bag of the erythritol granular to use in baking also.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 14:06

Plan: Abranavel's BodyType
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
I didn't know which to order so I went with the 5000 just to try it. I also saw and got a bag of the erythritol granular to use in baking also.

Here are some comments I located on the "Atkins all the Way" site about Arise 5000 and 8000. The comments are from one of the employees from Honeyville:

"The WPI that we sell is Arise 8000 which is essentially Vital Wheat Gluten on steroids that makes it about 94 percent protein. The other type of WPI is Arise 5000, which have had their protein chains chemically cut to allow for machinability in commercial applications.

In the case of Arise 5000, the protein chains have been chemically cut to allow the dough to be not as rubbery, making it easier for the mixing blades to work and not bind."

Like I mentioned, I have both and use both for different applications. I have made, for example, the 3 Minute Chocolate Cake - one containing Arise 8000 and almond flour, and another cake containing Arise 5000 and almond flour. The Arise 8000 cake was heavier and denser (chewier) than the Arise 5000 cake, which was much lighter and airier (closer to "cake").

I hope this information helps a little.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 16:27
Kitchen Experimenter

thank you.....but my ultimate goal is to make a bread that you cant tell from regular....and to date I have not found 1 that works for me.....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 11:18

I share the goal of making bread that you can't tell from the regular stuff. I just got a shipment from Honeyville, and mixed up a batch of flour last night; it is made from equal amounts of Arise 5000 and oat bran, plus polydextrose, high maize resistent corn starch, vital wheat gluten, cream of tartar, salt. The flour itself is very light, but I don't know what its properties will be when mixed with water. I will say that I've had much, much better results in baking low carb breads by using half again as much -- or even double -- the amount of yeast the recipe calls for.

I'm still having uneven results -- my last batch was a disappointment (sticky dough and way too much whey protein powder to try to stiffen it), but the batch before last was excellent.

I'm still eating my current not-so-good batch, so I'll let you know how the next batch -- the one with the new Honeyville order -- works out.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-06-05, 12:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I really liked the texture the oat bran gave things. I'm not sure I can use the 5 lbs of it I bought though because I may have a gluten intolerance. I've switched to corn bran, but I don't like it as well.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 12:34
Registered Member

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 162/153.5/120 Female 65 inches
BF:25
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanee

1 cup almond meal (grind your nuts with 1 scoop of whey protein to get a fine grind without it turning to nut butter)
1 cup vital wheat gluten
(4 packets of Splenda)
4 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 tsp salt.
2 Tbs xanthan gum (keeps baked products like cookies and pie crusts from crumbling apart)

Are the items in the parentheses optional? Like 1 cup vanilla whey protein powder OR 1 cup wheat protein isolate?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 12:31

Hello, Greyart! Yes - the stuff in parenthesis is optional. Lots of people use soy protein isolate, e.g., but I don't much like the taste of soy, and don't like using soy products very much.

But let me also suggest these flour formulations:

For bread baking:
Jena Marie's Bread Flour Blend
Ingredients:
120 grams (4 1/4 oz) Vital Wheat Gluten
110 grams (4 oz) Resistant Starch
70 grams (2 1/2 oz) all purpose unbleached flour or bread flour
50 grams (1 3/4 oz) Wheat Protein Isolate (Arise 5000)
30 grams (1 oz) Oat Fiber
30 grams (1 oz) Oat Flour
The original author of this recipe, Jena Marie, made this comment about the use of regular flour in the recipe:

Q: Why is there flour in this recipe?

A: In order to make bread, it must be allowed to ferment, better known as proofing or rising. In order for the yeast and bacteria to stay alive and active during this time, there must be food available. Yeast and bacteria need sugar in order to ferment. The starch (carbohydrates) in the flour supply the perfect food. If you remove all of the starch carbohydrates, there is nothing to feed the yeast and bacteria. I’ve found that by adding a slight amount of flour to the Bread Flour Blend, it provides enough starch to keep the yeast and bacteria living long enough for one, perhaps two, good proofing, meaning the carbohydrates are used for food. The actual carbohydrate content is lower because the nutritional information reflects the total carbohydrate count without deducting the carbohydrates used in the fermentation process.

Also, for cakes, cookies, muffins, and other "finer" baking:
Jena Marie's Cake Flour Blend:
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Resistant Starch
1 1/4 cups Wheat Protein Isolate (Arise 5000)
1 3/4 cups Oat Flour
2 1/2 cups Oat Fiber

Put all ingredients in large bowl and mix well with a large whisk.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): Per cup: 323 Calories; 1g Fat (2.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 103g
Carbohydrate; 84g Dietary Fiber; 19 net carbs; 0mg Cholesterol; 52mg
Sodium. NOTES: This is a lighter flour to use in cakes, muffins and cookies.

Finally, here are three bread recipes from Jena Marie's website:
Jena Marie's Basic White Bread: Serving Size : 20 slices
Ingredients:
1 1/8 cups warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 cups Jena Marie's Bread Flour Blend
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

1. Add ingredients to bread machine in order listed.
2. Bake on white loaf cycle, 1 1/2 pound loaf, desired loaf color.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 51 Calories; 1g Fat (18.3% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 163mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat.
NOTES: This makes a wonderful soft loaf of bread.

Jena Marie's Hearth Loaf - Serving Size : 1 large rustic loaf; Preparation Time : 5+ hours
Ingredients:
Dough Starter (Sponge)
1 cup unbleached bread flour (this is real bread flour)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/8 teaspoon instant yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 1/3 cup water, at room temperature (70 to 90 degrees F)

Flour Mixture
1 3/4 cup low carb flour blend
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt (do not add with the flour mixture)

1. Make the sponge.
In a mixer bowl or other large bowl, place all ingredients. Whisk until very smooth and to incorporate air. About 2 minutes. Whisking in the air is a very important step, so don't skip it. The sponge should be like a very thick batter. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and set aside, covered with plastic wrap, while you mix up the flour.

2. Flour Mixture
In a medium bowl, whisk only the JM Flour Blend and yeast. Gently scoop it onto the sponge to cover it completely. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and allow to ferment from 1 to 4 hours at room temprature. The longer the fermentation time, the more sour the bread will be and the fewer carbohydrates it will have.

3. Mixing the dough.
Mixer Method - Using the dough hook, (#2 if using a KitchenAid) mix on low speed for about 1 minute until the dough is moist and has formed a rough dough. Scrape down sides and press any little bits into the dough. Cover and let sit for 20 minutes. This 20 minute rest is important because it give the gluten a chance to relax.

After the rest, sprinkle the salt on top of the dough and mix on medium speed (#4 on KitchenAid) for about 7 minutes. The dough should be elastic and smooth, but sticky to the touch. Add water a few drops at a time if needed. Towards the end of the mixing, you should listen for the "slap, slap, slap" noise made by the dough. Learn this sound because it is the sound the dough makes when it is ready for proofing.

Hand Method - Add the salt and with a wooden spoon or your hand, mix the batter until the flour is moistened. Knead the dough in the bowl until it comes together, then scrape it out onto a lightly floured counter. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, enough to develop the gluten structure and adding up to 2 tablespoons of JM Bread Flour Mix to keep it from sticking too much. This bread dough should be sticky, so resist the temptation to add more flour! Cover the dough ball with the bowl and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. This step must not be skipped. It allows the gluten to relax and the dough will be less sticky.

Knead the dough for another 5 or 10 minutes until it is very smooth and elastic. It should be just slightly sticky.

4. Letting the dough rise.
Both Methods - Using an oiled spatula or dough scraper, scrape the dough into a 2 quart bowl or container, lightly greased with oil, for the dough to rise. Spray the top of the dough with oil and cover with with a lid or plastic wrap. Allow the dough to rise (ideally at 75 to 80 degrees) until doubled, about 1 hour.

Using an oiled spatula or dough scraper, scrape the dough onto a floured counter (or on parchment or silpat and use no extra flour) Gently press the dough down and either shape it and place in a greased loaf pan, or shape into a free form loaf on a parchment or silpat covered baking sheet. I make mine into a round loaf about 2-3 inches high and 8 inches in diameter. Spray the top with oil and cover well with oiled plastic wrap. Let loaf rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

5. Preheat the oven.
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees 1 hour before baking. Place the oven shelf at the lowest level and place a baking stone or heavy baking sheet on it before pre heating.

6. Slash the dough and bake.
With a razor or sharp knife, slash the top of the loaf about 1/2 inch deep. For a traditional loaf slash right down the middle. For a round artisian loaf, slash a tic-tac-toe type of mark on top. Mist the top of the bread. This will give a thicker, crisper crust. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the temprature to 425 degrees and bake until the internal temprature is 200 degrees. (use an instant read thermometer and insert into the center) This should take an additional 20 minutes or so.

7. Cool the bread. Remove bread from pan and cool on a wire rack until it is cooled completely.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items):

NOTES: An instant read thermometer can be found at almost any store that sells kitchen tools - even the grocery store. A good thermometer can start at less than $10 dollars and is an invaluable tool when baking bread. This is NOT a candy thermometer or a meat thermometer. It should have a thin, nail type end that is pushed into the bread.

Jena Marie's Cinnamon Bread - Serving Size : At least 16
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups water, warm
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup Jena Marie's Maltitol
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 each egg, room temp
1 cup Jena Marie's Resistant Starch
1/2 cup Jena Marie's Wheat Protein Isolate
1/2 cup whole wheat flour, white
1/2 cup Jena Marie's Oat Flour
3/4 cup Jena Marie's Oat Fiber
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Add ingredients in the order listed to bread machine. Set on dough cycle and let machine knead dough through one cycle but don't let it rise in the machine. I just use my machine to knead the dough. It's a sticky dough, but after the proper kneading it comes together in a smooth ball. You can also knead by hand or with a mixer. Resist the temptation to add more flour!

2. After the kneading, shape bread into rolls or into 2 loaves of bread.

3. Lightly butter top of bread and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm spot for about 45 minutes or until doubled.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

5. Let cool in pan for 10 - 15 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool completely.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 135 Calories; 2g Fat (14.6% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 17g Dietary Fiber; 16mg Cholesterol; 227mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES: This makes great french toast.
Optional: Make dough into rolls and after baking, spread with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with chopped, roasted nuts.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-06, 15:27

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%
Question

Quote:
1 cup vital wheat gluten

(4 packets of Splenda)
4 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 tsp salt.

Hi - are the bolded items - the ones in parentheses - things that you can add if you want but don't have to? I'm wondering if you choose not to whether you're supposed to add more of something else instead.

Also, any ideas on how to adapt this kind of thing to a no-wheaat, no-gluten, no-soy plan? It sounds like you have a good handle on what different ingredients do for consistency and all that.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 06:45
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Hello, Greyart! Yes - the stuff in parenthesis is optional. Lots of people use soy protein isolate, e.g., but I don't much like the taste of soy, and don't like using soy products very much.

CBCB - your question on the parenthetical items is answered in an earlier post, which I quoted here!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 06:51
Clueless. ODAAT.

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 290.6/290.6/180 Female 5'10"
BF:I do not care!
Progress: 0%

Hey...I went to the Honeyville grains site and the Arise 5000 is apparently only available in a 50 pound bag??? Whew...I don't think I'll be ordering that soon...price and storage are a bit prohibitive!

Last edited by WyoDiva : Sun, Apr-23-06 at 06:58.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 07:09
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDiva
Hey...I went to the Honeyville grains site and the Arise 5000 is apparently only available in a 50 pound bag??? Whew...I don't think I'll be ordering that soon...price and storage are a bit prohibitive!

You must have missed it WyoDiva. Here is the link for 2 lbs:

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/in...PROD&ProdID=653
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-25-06, 22:46

Plan: none yet
Stats: 259.6/259.6/170 Female 5 ft i inch
BF:
Progress:

Hi
Your bread recipes sound good.
What is resistant starch?
I've never heard of that before.