Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 05:37

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by never2late
I knew when I posted this that the group of "hard core" Atkins on this forum would have negative comments.
There are so many different ways to do low carb and kenotic dieting.
It spurred a conversation which is what I'd intended.
There are those who go on from the 20 and below carbs to maintenance which is above the hard core Atkins followers point of view.
There is no moving up for them.
As a pancreatic cancer survivor with no pancreas I am unable to follow their way of eating.
My lows are too low.
When I start showing mid level ketones on the test strips I'm already in trouble and I move into diabetic ketoacidosis which makes me seriously ill.
I have to manage my diabetes and monitor it closely.
Low carb low fat works best for me and my health.
But we are all different and need to find our own way of eating that is right for our bodies.
The hard core Atkins would never work for me.
I hope the hard core Atkins comments will not put off those who want to do an Atkins like diet, including "New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great" that so many here follow.
Depending upon how many carbs one has eaten on a regular basis a reduction to 40 carbs will work for many.
Good conversation.
N2L

Great point N2L...we are all dealing with our own issues/limitations and each individual has to tailor the plan to their individual needs and what works for them. There really is no 'one size fits all'. Perhaps we (ME) should be less closed minded and judgmental.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 05:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'm not against the plan as such, although I prefer lower carbs myself. Just anti-low-carb candy bar, here.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 06:49

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapgirl
Great point N2L...we are all dealing with our own issues/limitations and each individual has to tailor the plan to their individual needs and what works for them. There really is no 'one size fits all'. Perhaps we (ME) should be less closed minded and judgmental.

I agree scrap girl -- we must each personalize our plan to meet our special needs. If 40 gm net carbs works for some and 20 grams works for others, then use the plan that meets the need.

Most of the critical comments seem to be directed at a suspicion that this might be a marketing ploy for the Atkins products and not a valid Atkins evidence- based approach.

The suspicion is based upon the use of the term "net carbs" rather than total carbs. The description of 'net carbs' as Teaser has said, is based upon subtracting sugar alcohols and fiber from total grams. Now as far as I know (please correct me), Atkins product labels are the only nutrition labels that list sugar alcohols. So this is one factoid that gives rise to suspicion.

Second, net carbs is also derived by subtracting fiber. The problem with this is that they are treating all fiber as indigestible fiber -- which it is not. So the fiber grams are off.

NAFNY, for this reason, suggest dealing with total carbs rather than net carbs.

So when this new Atkins 40 plan shows up on our doorstep, we should not just accept it without questioning the scientific basis upon which it was created. As Jey remarked, it smacks of 'Atkins Made Easy' which is essentially a guide on how to diet using only Atkins products.

The basic concept of starting at 40 grams of carbs for those having 40 pounds to lose is not new. NAFNY makes this same recommendation. They are very clear that not everyone needs to start (or maintain) at 20 carb grams and they have a section discussing why. Why do we need a whole new book on it unless it is going to be filled with recipes of Atkins products?

So the questions raised, although critical, are not necessarily negative regarding the concept that those having little to lose can start at OWL rather than Induction. IMO.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 10:15

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, until later.
N2L

Last edited by never2late : Wed, Dec-24-14 at 11:08.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-14, 11:08

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Oh my, oh my, oh my! I am surprised you are able to do anything at all! Congratulations on keeping a positive outlook in spite of all your major health issues any one of which would probably flatten me out! I am impressed.

I consider myself very lucky at 81 that I don't have your issues. I have my own, but not to the same extent. I guess all we can do is keep on keeping on. Merry Christmas, by the way.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-14, 16:19

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

never2late, my apology in advance if I am misunderstanding your comments about "hard core" atkins people. This is an Atkins page, so I do expect the majority of advice and help I receive or try to give here is based on Dr. Atkins plan. There is nothing wrong with taking in 40 carbs on Atkins if someone has transitioned from induction (which only has to last for 2 weeks) and added back in more carbs from veggies and fruit. The main point I saw from the responses is that this just seems to be a marketing ploy to sell lots of processed packaged products versus eating more whole foods. Everyone is different and different plans work better for some than others. My husband never had to do a true induction - he could just stop eating bread and sugar and drop weight. I on the other hand needed a well defined program to follow with real whole foods as the main ingredients. I also eat bars sometimes, they just can't be the basis for my woe. If you enjoy arguing, there is a war zone area or here is a general low carb area that encompasses a variety of approaches. I just don't understand being negative to those following Dr. Atkins plan on the Atkins page. Best to you on your weight loss journey.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-14, 01:05

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hope everyone has a wonderful New Year's Eve.

Last edited by never2late : Wed, Dec-31-14 at 02:04.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-14, 02:59

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieshops
There is nothing wrong with taking in 40 carbs on Atkins if someone has transitioned from induction
There is also nothing wrong with taking in 40 carbs WITHOUT induction.

Quote:
If you enjoy arguing, there is a war zone area or here is a general low carb area that encompasses a variety of approaches.
Who are you talking to? I hope not N2L. We're discussing an Atkins book here...it belongs on the Atkins board, no?

Quote:
I just don't understand being negative to those following Dr. Atkins plan on the Atkins page.

Negative to those who follow what Atkins plan?? There is more than one...

I'm confused.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-14, 03:13

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Happy New Year's Eve to you, too, N2L!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-14, 06:53

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?

Seems my response to this thread was misunderstood. I specifically mentioned that some people do well at 40 or more carbs including my own husband who never did induction.

Atkins 40 is not a book. It is a new push on the Atkins sales website to sell more products and is promoting that most carbs are not coming from veggies but other products including bars, shakes, frozen meals, and ice cream.

Again, whatever works for each individual. I just feel bad for new people that think they are starting a new woe and believe they are following Dr. Atkins plan then wonder why it isn't working for them when they don't drop weight while having indulge bars, bread items, and Edy's ice cream.

I will move on because as I also pointed out - there are other parts of this forum suited for arguing. Best wishes to all.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-14, 09:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Atkins press release on its upcoming media campaign is linked in this post from Jimmy Moore.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...-is-about/24087
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-14, 09:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
The Atkins press release on its upcoming media campaign is linked in this post from Jimmy Moore.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...-is-about/24087

More details about the Atkins 40

Quote:
Atkins Nutritionals is kicking off 2015 with a fresh ad campaign--with total marketing spending of more than $20 million -- to coincide with the launch of Atkins 40, a new low-carb diet plan that introduces a greater variety of foods from the start of the program. The campaign, from Interpublic Group’s Lowe Campbell Ewald, promotes the tagline “Eat Well, Lose Weight--With Atkins Now You Can.”

TV spots start running December 29 on networks including AMC, CBS, Food Network, HGTV and Lifetime, among others. Print ads will run in People, Better Homes & Gardens, Family Circle, Life & Style Weekly and other publications.

Thirty-second spots will feature brands spokesperson Sharon Osbourne showing the variety of foods people can enjoy on Atkins and surprising a few individuals along the way. In the spot titled “Farmer’s Market,” women are pleased to find they can eat Greek yogurt, fruit, whole grains and even pizza on Atkins. In the spot titled “Banquet,” Osbourne showcases the new Atkins candies as a way to enjoy dessert along with a menu including soup, a sandwich and fajitas. Both spots introduce new foods to the program including Atkins’ new line of low-carb frozen pizza and candies. “The goal of this campaign is to awaken people to Atkins as a sustainable lifestyle where you can lose weight and maintain while eating a wider variety of delicious, filling foods,” said Scott Parker, chief marketing officer at Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. “We want to teach people how to live a low carb lifestyle by enjoying the foods they love, as well as learn what nutrient dense carbs they can enjoy as part of a balanced diet.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-14, 11:28
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care

Hmm, looks to me like they are advocating that folks should rush headlong into a way of eating that is as close to the old way of eating as possible without absolutely violating the rules of the Atkins plan; seems like the good doctor issued a warning about such things...
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-14, 14:52

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

What does "less than 40 pounds to lose" have to do with anything? That could be a huge amount for a woman that is 5'2" and just some extra pounds for a 6'2" man. Ridiculous. While I agree that under 40g is better than the average 300+ watering down the message should not be "square one". Why even call it Atkins anymore??
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-15, 07:31

Plan: mix of atkins and primal
Stats: 206/206/140 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm actually thrilled by this. I'm still nursing my 2 yr old, and induction isn't advised. I was "doing my own thing/guessing" how many carbs to have, but this will allow me to have the structure I need. (they are marketing the 40 program to pregnant and nursing women). I did try going lower, and my milk supply took a nose dive. I don't need to make a lot of milk, but don't want to wean yet either.

I'm really glad they have this. Before, the only program that really had a breastfeeding option was WW, and none had a pregnancy option.

That said, it didn't occur to me it was to push more products. I was excited I could have an apple, lol! And more veggies!!! Those onions add up. I do use the products here and there, but I've never binged on them because the sugar alcohols will give me the runs if I have too many of them. (guess I really don't digest them!) So that's kind of a built in limit right there. And the frozen dinners aren't as tasty as anything I make myself, but I do keep on in the freezer as an emergency meal, if for some reason I find myself needing it.

So not everyone will think this means eat your meals from a box

Last edited by ktgrok : Thu, Jan-01-15 at 07:40.