Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-18, 12:26

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Did more reading of Dr Eades article....... it is so indepth and USEFUL that it has taken a couple times to read it thru. Or it is just my in ability to pay attention for that long.......lol

Quote:
Tips for treating ADHD with Diet
1.Be sure to eat some protein at breakfast

2.Include foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids in your diet (healthy animal foods), or take a daily supplement containing at least 300 mg of EPA

3.Reduce omega-6 intake by minimizing vegetable oils, nuts, and seeds
4.Improve mineral absorption by reducing phytic acid intake (minimize grains, beans, nuts and seeds)

5.If you have iron deficiency, increase meat intake and reduce phytic acid intake (grains, beans, nuts, and seeds) and/or take a heme iron supplement.

6.Improve zinc status by reducing phytic acid intake (minimize grains, beans, nuts, and seeds), and including animal foods in your diet. Zinc supplements may also be helpful.

Dr Amen suggests chickpeas as helpful for the ADDers.... cant remember why.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 11:45

BF:

http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/adhd-and-diet-part-i/

Lots of tips, especially foods to help the brain function its best; even points out that phytates interfere with mineral uptake. Echos the limitations Dr AmenMD puts on consuming legumes. He does emphasize using chickpeas though, in moderation.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 12:55

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I was at a birthday party at a restaurant a few weeks ago and a couple had a little boy who is Autistic. He's about 6, completely nonverbal and the parents have to hold to restrain him or pull him back constantly. For his meal they ordered french fries and macaroni and cheese for him.... Need I say more????
He ate none of it!
At one point he reached across the table at lightening speed and grabbed a cherry tomato off of my salad plate.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-19, 11:51

BF:

Sadly parents are on there own-- but it takes years of working with the docs to find out they know nothing. Total waste of money and time. And I mean years lost that could have helped a child develop. When the window closes learning is stagnant. They certainly see this for languages. My son started Spanish in fourth grade, then the cut backs took out the only foreign language. As he put so much effort into the school hours to ad Spanish at home was useless despite my efforts. Now in HS, he is starting to hate Spanish because it is hard for him.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Jan-07-19 at 14:00.
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-19, 10:49

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

ADHD Drugs Associated with a Dramatic Increased Risk for Parkinson’s - [ drperlmutter.com/ ]

Estimates indicate that approximately 11% of school-aged children in United States have attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Further, approximately 2/3 of these children are currently being medicated for this diagnosis. The most common medications are essentially stimulants like amphetamines or methylphenidates, including drugs like Adderall and Ritalin.

The areas of the brain that are potentially damaged or disrupted by these medications include the basal ganglia, brain structures that are involved in coordinated movement. The other area that is potentially involved is the cerebellum, which also plays a role in movement.

In a recent study published in Neuropsychopharmacology, researchers from the University of Utah attempted to determine if children with ADHD had an increased risk of Parkinson’s disease or other issues related to damage to the areas of the brain described above. Further, they wanted to determine if in fact being treated for ADHD might increase risk for Parkinson’s down the line.

The research involved the review of more than 11 million individuals and ultimately arrived at a cohort of around 32,000 individuals who had a history of being diagnosed with ADHD. These subjects were at least 20 years of age in 2011 and of them, approximate 5,000 had been treated with stimulant medications, again for ADHD. These subjects were compared to approximately 160,000 individuals in whom there was no history of ADHD.

In follow-up, the risk of movement disorder involving either the basal ganglia or cerebellum was increased a dramatic 2.4 fold in those individuals who had been previously diagnosed with ADHD. In those individuals not only diagnosed with ADHD, but who also were given stimulant medication, the risk of developing a movement disorder, like Parkinson’s disease, between the ages of 21 and 49 years was increased a dramatic 8.6 fold!

In trying to explain the possible connection, the lead author of the study, Dr. Glen Hanson, told WebMD:

the drugs used to treat ADHD apparently work because of their profound effects on the activity of these dopamine pathways. Theoretically, the treatment itself might trigger a metabolic disturbance, promoting dopamine pathway degeneration and, ultimately, Parkinson’s.

The credo, above all, do no harm, remains in full force. We know that there are acute side effects of these medications including insomnia, restlessness, nervousness, impaired appetite, mood changes, behavioral changes, and in some cases, even movement disorders. I believe it’s important to add to the list of these known acute side effects, issues that may occur further down the line that may well be as significant as this study describes. What I’m simply saying is that parents contemplating the use of ADHD medications should consider discussing the results of this study with their child’s treating physician, and think about this study when weighing whether to begin medication or not.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 05:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

From Low Carb USA:

Quote:
Dr. Robert Cywes first spoke at our event in San Diego in 2018 and he was a huge hit. Many people approached me saying it was the best presentation of the whole conference. He states that his whole treatment philosophy is based on his understanding of obesity and diabetes. “They are basically exactly the same disease when you look at the root cause”, he says. He believes that in order to treat the two diseases you really need to understand where they come from and why people are diabetic or obese. If you just treat the obesity or if you just treat the diabetes you may modify or slow down the progression of the disease, but until you understand what causes it and address the cause of the problem, you’re never ever going to cure the issue or put it into remission.

He feels people don’t understand that carbohydrates are not a food. Carbohydrates are a highly neuroactive drug that we’ve now placed in our food system and we’ve told our population that this highly neuroactive drug is healthy for them. People don’t have a relaxation methodology. Babies are weaned onto carbohydrate rich foods so they’re getting this wonderfully neuroactive euphoria that is satisfying even before they know they’re human. And so they develop this euphoric relationship with a drug called carbohydrates. They seek it in their diet and society gives it to them. Society condones it.

He is also a board-certified paediatric surgeon and is appalled that the fastest growing demographic of obesity in the US is 2-5-year-olds and the increase in autism spectrum disorders is reaching pandemic proportions. He puts it out there that Autism and ADHD have deep seated roots in the chronic over consumption of the drug called carbohydrates and issues an impassioned plea to parents to help prevent these disorders in our children. He supports this with a powerful personal testimonial.

Dr. Robert Cywes's very passionate 45 minute personal plea for improving diet in babies/children.

https://www.lowcarbusa.org/autism-adhd/

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Feb-25-19 at 05:55.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Arielle you are such a good mom!

I have a friend with ADHD, he is middle-aged, his father used to beat him for not paying attention. He is an extremely bright person but has problems with numbers. He was diagnosed as an adult. He can't take the medication because he had one seizure and he takes seizure medication forever, or can't drive commercially. He works in ordering for contractors. He stays after work for hours, for free, trying to add up his order sheet totals. Now he is the skinny diabetic. It makes me sad when we go out and he orders huge plates of pasta.

I can't look his father in the eye after what he's done.
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-19, 13:12

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Dr. Perlmutter is blatantly anti-drug for ADHD, so I wonder about his bias here.

As someone who has lived with ADHD my entire life, but was not diagnosed until well into adulthood, I will tell you that drugs are a god-send to me and many others. I hate this attitude that some people and doctors have that "drugs are bad, by default."

Yes, changing my diet and eating low-carb is an extraordinary management tool for ADHD, and I tout the benefits of it to others with ADHD all the time. For some people with very mild ADHD, it may be one of the only management tools they need. Sure, high-carb diets can cause some symptoms that mimic ADHD, but they don't cause ADHD, which is a biological condition. Going low-carb won't ever cure my ADHD and some of the more serious executive function failures that I have because of it.

A number of drugs that work on these neural pathways (ADHD meds, SSRIs) have side effects that cause muscle twitches and these studies are obviously seeing this. I've had them, but they've always been mild enough just to be an irritation--the benefits of the drugs far out-weighed this irritation. I know others have really thought they were problematic. But I've never heard of them not going away when the drugs are stopped, so I question whether the claim or implication that they're causing Parkinson's.
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 01:09
Registered Member

Default Parkinson's New Today

different spin

The team was unable to control other potential sources of interference, including head trauma, brain injuries and environmental toxins.

“If we were to follow 100,000 adults over time, in one year we would expect one to two people will develop Parkinson’s disease before age 50,” said Karen Curtin, PhD, associate professor at University of Utah Health. “If we were to follow 100,000 adults prescribed treatment for ADHD over time, we estimate that over a year, eight to nine patients will develop Parkinson’s disease before age 50.”

Patients with a more severe type of ADHD may have an intrinsic higher risk, which may or may not be directly attributed to stimulant medication.

“The jury is still out,” Curtin said. “The increased risk we observed in people could be linked to having ADHD itself or perhaps a more severe form of ADHD, which may be more likely to be treated with medications.”

These findings should be considered preliminary, the authors noted, as their analysis may be limited by several factors — a potential misclassification of non-ADHD subjects, an incorrect diagnosis of Parkinson’s-like disease symptoms and a lack of information on dosage and duration of ADHD medication.

“I believe the treatment is still a benefit, especially for children who cannot control their ADHD symptoms,” Hanson said. “Medication really should be considered on a case-by-case basis.”
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 01:31
Registered Member

Default Scientists Don't Know How Ritalin Works

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...90225133710.htm

ADHD drug Ritalin has no effect on primate prefrontal cortex
Date:
February 25, 2019
Source:
Society for Neuroscience
Summary:
In contrast to studies of mice and rats, new research investigating the effect of methylphenidate (Ritalin) on neuronal activity in monkeys has found no effect of the drug on the prefrontal cortex. The study leaves open the question of how and why Ritalin improves attention in humans.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 07:30

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
From Low Carb USA:

Dr. Robert Cywes's very passionate 45 minute personal plea for improving diet in babies/children.

excellent.

#102   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 10:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
From Low Carb USA:

Dr. Cywes has been in the forefront of the consideration of diet as a cure in his clinical practice. His article in the book, "Diabetes Unpacked" identified the addictive properties of food, specifically carbohydrates, and how they should be treated as an addictive substance.

Here's a recent podcast with Zoe Harcombe:

http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/...r-robert-cywes/
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-19, 11:16

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
different spin
Thanks! That's the kind of thing I was suspecting.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 11:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...90225133710.htm

ADHD drug Ritalin has no effect on primate prefrontal cortex
Date:
February 25, 2019
Source:
Society for Neuroscience
Summary:
In contrast to studies of mice and rats, new research investigating the effect of methylphenidate (Ritalin) on neuronal activity in monkeys has found no effect of the drug on the prefrontal cortex. The study leaves open the question of how and why Ritalin improves attention in humans.

Interesting....

The only thing I can tell you is that it does work. I have taken ritalin as a prescription and it WORKS. Life is much better with it than with out. It is like needing glasses and not having access to an optomitrist-- the world is limited, and one is less functional, and all the "posibilities" are not even realized. Hence so many ADD/AHDH cannot reach their full potential.

I would also queestion how the moneys were tested..... they dont have speech. Look at the test for ADD/ADHD and see if a monkey can take that test.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 12:49

BF:

Just to be clear REAL ADD/ADHD is a brain affected by low dopamine. With out addressing this, every other "treatment" is only support, and not a fix.

Both my kids are very thin. By todays standards. One can pinch 1/2 inch the other 1/4 inch. Obesity is not an issue for MY kids. One works out a lot; the other needs to be pushed off his chair and today I made him go to the gym. ( That has taken 4 months of mother maneuvering of a teen.)

I dont use BMI tables as I see everything from my oldest to a friend of my youngest son, who takes after his dad who is built like a 5'8" Hulk.

I have ADD' and I suspect my father had ADD, so my son has ADD.

------------------

My kids ate/eat much better than , say 90% of US kids. I have 2. One is ADD the other is not. Yet both ate the same as children. ANd I ate the same as a pregnant mother--- I ate from the allowed list in DANDR in vast quantities. Oh and Ice cream too! lol Read lots of fats and lots of vegies.

Both got bottle fed because they were both tongue tied-- one fixed at 6 mo, and the other at 2 years-- right, the DOCTOR DID NOT check the second baby despite the history of the first baby. ( CRIMINAL) I now question the quality of the formula milk dispite the addition of DHA added to the formula.
------

Lately I have been thinking about the vaccines again. Because of the measles? outbreak. Hmm, 150 is not a lot, but we are used to a zero number.

I am in favor of use of vaccines, but when I asked for more information from the pediatrician , she just shouted me into submission. (She is the same do that didnt check for tongue tie, and didnt see the autism in baby #1. ) My questions stemmed from a change made in the vaccinating of foals-- that the vaccinations were actually causing the baby horses to get sick because the vaccine was using up the m other's passively transferred immune cells are used up; hence, delay the vaccinations until the passive immunity has lost its effectiveness. Hmmmm, why wouldnt this also be applicable to human babies. ( What I didnt know is that these doctors are controlled by the government dictates. ) Maybe the schedule is a problem....?

In dogs, there is vet support to minimize vaccination to puppies. My dogs are minimally vaccinated these days; my rotties had every vaccine under the sun. Hmmm........ why cant my kids be minimally vaccinated?

Even in horses we do not vaccinate for EVERY disease. When there is an outbreak of one like "strangles" only the at risk horses, those in a barn of the outbreak is vaccinated. Horses get fewer vaccinations now than 25 years ago.

Now I come back to human vaccines, and in particular myself. Some years ago when contact lenses where a new thing, I got them too. The cleaning solution had a chemical preservative called thimersol--- my eyes swelled shut for 24 hours. Just laying on my bed, using my hands to find the bathroom for 24 hours. THIS IS USED in vaccines. THere are vaccines that were too high risk-- FLU shots, for one.

But did anyone, look at this in children??? The thimersol.

------
My kids got meats right away, 'cause I can remember chewing it up for them.... and though I did water down the juice, juice and cereals left our house asap.

Both my babies had the same environmental exposure to nutrients; one is a quick witted 'normal" boy, and his brother is ADD.
----

High intensity turns on the ability to pay attention. I can yell and get the same effect.

To have my son to live keto does not change his ADD significantly.

My son is not HYPER. He has the quieter version that is usually missed in girls. He can sit quietly, actually TOO QUIETLY, as he is not interacting with what is going on around him. I didnt know he was different until I had second baby who was a go- go -go check out the world interest. So my oldest is not HYPER, rather the opposite. When he has his ritalin, he can get up out of his chair and get moving and participate.

My kids go out side to p lay after school. Why I love having a farm, where the dogs are on allert for strangers, while my kids play outside, getting dirty, playing in the woods, etc.

As for afterschool snack, my kids are hungry. They are fed a meal. NOT sweets, not cookies; their time in school uses a lot of energy and they are drained when they get home and need a down time. Here, the meals are focused on meats and fats. A stack of canned sardines sits on the kitchen table. My youngest puts a steak on. My kids are NOT fat

So I cant see that this information is correct for all ADD/ ADHD kids. https://www.lowcarbusa.org/autism-adhd/

FOr clarity I read DANDR before I was pregnant and depended on it thru my pregnancy to manage gestational diabetes-- there might be a clue--

I fought the pediatritions to let my kids have whole milk, not 2%. Milk is rarely purchased here now unless its used to make yogurt.

Hmm will have kids tested for type two diabetes this year. TO get a base line.

Talk to boys all the time, NO texting in the car; NO vaping; use alcohol in cooking and baking.

Parents dont take the time to parent anymore; Im at stay at home parent, but the only one I know. The moms of my kids friends all work. So I get the call when a kid falls off his bike, trashes it as he falls into a snow bank......Ya, I wish I knew more sooner, but I am the one that teaches them what I do know. Ya, I do the sex talks, and watch them squirm. But I did notice my youngest entered into a conversation w ith me and didnt turn red using real anatomy words---yaaa, I have done my job.

If anything-- in summary to my rant--- starting with a healthy mother that has her blood sugars under control AND allowing her to be in ketosis during pregnancy would be beneficial. Dr Atkins cautioned against that, so that is what I did. Mothers need to be boosting their nutrient supplies of vitamins and minerals LONG before pregnancy. Too much fall below the optimal levels. ( I thought just not doing drugs and taking a prenatal pill was enough, ha!)

OB/GYN are separated from pediatritions. One job end; the other starts. No connection, no over lap. Insane.

My kids didnt get junk food. But I can see that the Cherios for a traveling snack needs to changed.

Eating high quality food can be a challenge when not eating at home. This week my kids are eating home made jerky for lunch. Alond with an apple or an orange, as that travels well.

Im dreaming up other options, like real mince meat or similar meat pies in a LC pastry. A bother. Jerky is easier.

Again, thinking out loud, could some individuals be more susceptible to ADD/ ADHD and high carbs is a trigger? And once the trigger is pulled there is no going back....... could he be right...?

THE we ALL need to get our government on the right track because the plate thing is killing us; doctors are NOT trained in nutrition; the school lunches are a disaster; and schools have taken away recess; and, and, and....

Im tired of pointing out the facts to doctors and then have them change the subject.....