Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-18, 18:56

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default Keto and Cancer

Over and over I am stumbling upon research, articles, experiences and more connecting ketogenic diets and cancer treatment and possibly prevention.

Perhaps there could be a new section added covering CANCER on this forum.

Until then...

This book struck me as interesting and Im considering buying it. Has anyone read it?

Keto for Cancer: Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy as a Targeted Nutritional Strategy

https://www.amazon.com/Keto-Cancer-...customerReviews
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-18, 05:40

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

There are cancer sections / chapters in a few recent books I've read (am reading), to name a couple...

Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams, Dr. Matthew P. Walker (2017) *

The Ketogenic Bible: The Authoritative Guide to Ketosis, Jacob Wilson, Ryan Lowery (2017)

The Longevity Diet, Valter Longo (2016)

* still reading - making it last

#3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-18, 05:50

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Over and over I am stumbling upon research, articles, experiences and more connecting ketogenic diets and cancer treatment and possibly prevention.

Perhaps there could be a new section added covering CANCER on this forum.

Until then...

This book struck me as interesting and Im considering buying it. Has anyone read it?

Keto for Cancer: Ketogenic Metabolic Therapy as a Targeted Nutritional Strategy

https://www.amazon.com/Keto-Cancer-...customerReviews
I own the book and I have read the book. I bought it after my granddaughter was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma. Miriam Kalamian has several talks on dietdoctor.com. I was not able to influence my son and daughter-in-law in matters of diet but I did send them the book just in case. It is well worth reading.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-18, 15:36

BF:

Thanks Jean,there seem to be about 4 books on line that cover this topic. Afraid to buy just one incase I miss the vital action for prevention.

I was surprised to learn that adequate vit D3 helps with colon cancer and skin cancer. which actually makes sense when the original tissues for both come from the same embryonic tissue layer.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-18, 03:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Check out Amazon's Top Customer Review by someone who goes by JEY

I think Miriam's book is the now the best, especially for someone in treatment, and who doesn’t have a biochemistry PhD to read it. Ellen Davis's is also good, used that for years, but Miriam adds advice on how to work with an oncology team.

If you want a general overview of the Metabolic Theory of Cancer, but still a whole book, highly recommend Tripping Over the Truth. https://www.chelseagreen.com/produc...over-the-truth/

If anyone wants my list of resources on this topic, PM me an email. It is now a seven page document, full of links of course geared to cancer survivors. Many are articles written for the layperson, easy to understand, with the actual study in references. My approach is: "There is no data to support that the ketogenic diet by itself can treat, cure, maintain, or manage cancer, nor that it supports treatment of the many different types of cancer. In animal studies, the diet provided some synergistic effects with treatments, including current treatment like radiation therapy and chemotherapy. These articles focus on a ketogenic diet when used as an adjuvant therapy to standard of care, when no standard care options are available, and its possible extension to prevention. Its use as a weight loss diet may provide added benefit."

It was the Cancer chapter in Gary Taubes Good Calories, Bad Calories that convinced me to radically change my diet to Low carb in 2010. (have that as a .pdf now) The Ketogenic Bible by Jacob Wilson has a 21 Page chapter on Cancer (also many other diseases).

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Sep-10-18 at 03:55.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-18, 06:18

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Got them - thank you Janet!

#7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-18, 06:36

BF:

Quote:
Check out Amazon's Top Customer Review by someone who goes by JEY

Thought that was you Janet!!!!!

Thank you, Im on a quest to prevent cancer, as you know by now. Much of last visit with family surrounded indepth discussions of genetic testing ( which I am no longer in favor of), organ removal ( which I am no longer in favor of) and only a small bit on how to prevent cancer. On the latter I tried to introduce low carb diets, but one family is completely on board with Dr Lustig and blaming the sugar fructose only. {thud}

Hoping a good book like the above will move their position.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-18, 17:24

BF:

#9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-18, 18:38

BF:

#10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-18, 05:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
. This post by Dom is almost 6 years old. Many newer resources and interviews with him. The 21 Page Cancer chapter in The Ketogenic Bible by Jacob Wilson has newer references also.

Dr Seyfried's Press-Pulse is important new development in treatment. https://nutritionandmetabolism.biom...2986-017-0178-2 Dom talks about that in his recent interviews.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-18, 12:33

BF:

Thank You Janet !!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-18, 11:55

BF:

Started digging again. LOoks like "high fiber diets" are generally accepted as colon cancer fighters but I was actually searching for information on the butyric acid connection.

Because I looked at butyric production in dairy cattle, grass fed versus grain fed, and wondered how humans could also produce butyric acid directly via diet and correct microbes. Apparently the right FA's are also key. ( fatty acids are derived from fats)

Found this---
https://academic.oup.com/jn/article...?searchresult=1

Krüppel-Like Factor 4 Is Transactivated by Butyrate in Colon Cancer Cells
ABSTRACT

High-fiber diets decrease the incidence of colorectal cancers, and SCFA, derived from dietary fiber, are involved in the regulation of cell growth, differentiation, and apoptosis of the colonic epithelium. The mediators of these effects remain poorly defined. Krüppel-like factor-4 (KLF4/GKLF) is a zinc-finger transcription factor that exhibits some physiologic properties similar to those of SCFA in the colon. The present study was undertaken to examine the role of KLF4 in the butyrate-mediated effect in colon cancer HT-29 cells. Butyrate induced KLF4 mRNA expression and stimulated KLF4 promoter activity in a dose- and time-dependent manner in HT-29 cells. Similar effects were observed in SCFA possessing different carbon lengths (C3–C7), but not in branched isobutyric acid, indicating that the stimulatory properties of SCFA were related to fatty acid structure. Transfection studies using 5′ deletion and mutant constructs of the KLF4 promoter demonstrated that the butyrate-responsive element was located at a putative stimulatory protein (Sp)1-binding site. Electrophoretic mobility shift assays using an oligonucleotide containing a consensus Sp1-binding element revealed a DNA-protein complex that was enhanced by butyrate treatment and supershifted by the Sp1 antiserum. Furthermore, the effects of butyrate on cell growth and KLF4 mRNA expression were the same as those of trichostatin A (TSA), a specific inhibitor of histone deacetylase (HDAC1). Overexpression of HDAC1 significantly attenuated transcriptional activation of the KLF4 promoter by butyrate or TSA. These results suggest that KLF4 may function as one of the downstream effectors of butyrate that mediates its growth arrest effect in the colon. Moreover, transactivation of KLF4 by butyrate appears to be mediated through interaction with a Sp1-binding domain on the promoter and is also likely to involve histone acetylation.

9head spinning, )
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-18, 12:04

BF:

Will need to read later as head is still spinning from the last study.

Quote:
Colorectal neoplasia
Increasing butyrate concentration in the distal colon by accelerating intestinal transit FREE
S J Lewis, K W Heaton
Author affiliations
Abstract
Background—Populations at low risk of colonic cancer consume large amounts of fibre and starch and pass acid, bulky stools. One short chain fatty acid (SCFA), butyrate, is the colon’s main energy source and inhibits malignant transformation in vitro.

Aim—To test the hypothesis that altering colonic transit rate alters colonic pH and the SCFA content of the stools.

Patients—Thirteen healthy adults recruited by advertisement.

Methods—Volunteers consumed, in turn, wheat bran, senna and loperamide, each for nine days with a two week washout period between study periods, dietary intake being unchanged. Before, and in the last four days of each intervention, whole gut transit time (WGTT), defaecation frequency, stool form, stool β-glucuronidase activity, stool pH, stool SCFA concentrations and intracolonic pH (using a radiotelemetry capsule for continuous monitoring) were assessed.

Results—WGTT decreased, stool output and frequency increased with wheat bran and senna, vice versa with loperamide. The pH was similar in the distal colon and stool. Distal colonic pH fell with wheat bran and senna and tended to increase with loperamide. Faecal SCFA concentrations, including butyrate, increased with senna and fell with loperamide. With wheat bran the changes were non-significant, possibly because of the short duration of the study. Baseline WGTT correlated with faecal SCFA concentration (r=−0.511, p=0.001), with faecal butyrate (r=−0.577, p<0.001) and with distal colonic pH (r=0.359, p=0.029).

Conclusion—Bowel transit rate is a determinant of stool SCFA concentration including butyrate and distal colonic pH. This may explain the inter-relations between colonic cancer, dietary fibre intake, stool output, and stool pH.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/gut.41.2.245

https://gut.bmj.com/content/41/2/245
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-18, 12:08

BF:

On reereading, I would like to know when the data was collected for the pH etc during the 2 weeks as I can see the day 1-2 to be very different from the last days of each food stuff.

Also how did the body adapt so fast. WHat sources of microbes were used if any??
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-18, 02:27

Hate to make your head spin more, but the recent proponents of a carnivore diet, and the many anti-fiber folks who have been writing for years, dispute the claims that fiber has any benefit for cancer, or anything else.

This page is loaded with the science on carnivore diets, and by default, the papers why vegetables are not "healthy" http://justmeat.co

I have listened to so many podcasts lately on the topic, but think it may have come up with Dr Shawn Baker on the Human Performance Outlier Interview with Dr Georgia Edes, and Robb Wolf's Interview with Amber O'Hearn. I think some other of Shawn's guests discussed the microbiome and cancer.