Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-07, 02:26

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Anti-obesity baby formula

Guess what, they've come up with another crackpot idea to push baby formula.

Professor Mike Cawthorne of the University of Buckingham in England has hit the headlines by coming up with the idea of an "Anti-obesity" formula. He thinks that if you put leptin in formula, you'll stop the child being fat for life.

Quite apart from the fact that supplemental leptin has only ever worked on rats, and never on humans, he's ignoring the fact that Nature has already provided an anti-obesity baby milk, called breast milk! And it's free.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-25-07, 13:37
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I didn't know that there was a study proving formula caused obesity later in life instead of say.........lack of exercise!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 08:53

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

utterly ridiculoous
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 06:27

Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atiaran
I didn't know that there was a study proving formula caused obesity later in life instead of say.........lack of exercise!

There is plenty of research linking it to obesity and even type 2 diabetes. Baby gets refined sugar instead of natural lactose in a milk their body is meant to break down = Baby at higher risk of obesity and diabetes, along with a ton of other things.

breastmilk = Nature's perfect food for babies, and hey, it's free!

But maybe this new formula is good news for those mothers who are unable to breastfeed. I've known a few who tried really hard but had to switch to formula for various reasons. Their babies shouldn't have to suffer because of this.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 10:35

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 235/232/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Breast feeding is an issue I'm really grappling with right now. My husband and I are planning to conceive sometime this fall (but plans don't always go the way you want them to). I physically cannot breast feed because I had a breast reduction a few years ago. Some women can still breast feed after breast reduction, but I cannot. Any suggestions?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 11:09

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Breastfeeding after reduction depends on how it was done, if the breast tissue was cut through the milk ducts, or cut away in sections, leaving some ducts intact. If you don't tell them you are planning to breastfeed, they usually do the quick cut method.

It might be worth going back to your surgeon and asking if any milk ducts were left intact. If you have some, you can at least do partial breastfeeding.

If not, then you'll bottle feed. It's not the ideal, but it's getting better all the time.

My only suggestion is that regardless of your feeding method, you try to parent like a nursing mother, with lots of skin to skin contact, baby carrying, demand feeding etc.

Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 13:09

Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

have you tried reading through Kellymom.com? They have articles on every breastfeeding obstacle on the planet, it's a great resource.

I agree with the pp, if you can't nurse, at least parent like you were, meaning hold your baby during feeding, the bottle prop routine is bad for the baby in so many ways. And carry your baby around in a sling, try to mimic the constant closeness to mother nursing provides. Also, pick the baby up when he or she cries. Babies need and want to be close to their mom. The old wives' tale about spoiling a baby with too much attention just isn't true. Babies who are held a lot (this is where that sling comes in handy) cry less, have less colic etc. So many parents hear a cry and shove a bottle into the baby's mouth because "nothing else calms them down" when sometimes just holding the baby and talking to her would have worked just fine. That's where you see obese babies, which is really sad. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to overcome obesity that started when you were 4 months old!

Also, follow the guidelines about how much formula to give the baby, don't feed more, and please don't feed less because of a fear of the baby becoming over weight. When you introduce solid foods, make them yourself using your food processor instead of buying pre-prepared baby foods that often have sugar or other additives in them.

Finally, don't fall for that old myth about rice cereal helping them feel more satisfied. Adding rice cereal or anything else to their formula is just adding more calories, often times more refined, processed calories.