Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 16:48

Plan:
Stats: 203/195/136
BF:
Progress:

Iam very new to this diet and not sure if iam doing it right ................... can someone out there please help me get off to a good start i need to lose about 55-60 lbs and i want to do it this way *S* if someone out there can help me Id appreciate it

Thanks
Twilite33
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 17:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Twilite33

Welcome to our forum.

You will want to do some reading and learning before you get started. The best place to start is to get your hands on at least one of the good lowcarb program books -- Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution is good -- there is also Protein Power and Carbohydrate Addicts. You should be able to borrow these books from your public library, so you don't have to buy anything if you don't want to.

In the meantime, click here for our Tips column, You will want to read the articles about Lowcarb Basics and Lowcarb FAQ (frequently asked questions). These should help to get you started. ..

Good luck to you, and much lowcarbing success!

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-01, 03:35

Plan:
Stats: 238/195/190
BF:
Progress:
Default The way to do it

I have a brother in the same boat,i was in the boat a few years back
first start taking 1 tab-25mg ephedrine, 1-asprin low dose 325 or 100 mg and 200 mg caffine 3 times daily.
in the morning take the above before breakfast. Have a coffee,thats it no food before you workout. the 3 supplements will boost your energy. (YOUR BODY WILL GO TO YOUR FAT STORES BECAUSE THER IS NO FOOD IN YOUR SYSTEM)
-YOUR WORK OUT SHOULD BE AT LEAST 30 MIN OF CARDIO BETTER YET 45-60 OF CARDIO- YOUR BODY DOESN'T BURN FAT UNTIL YOU ARE INTO YOUR 20 MIN OF EXCERSISE....
DO WEIGHTS. IF YOU ARE A FEMALE AND THINK I DONT WANT TO GET BIG SO I WONT WORK OUT WITH WEIGHTS
THAT CRAP. YOU WILL BENIFIT FROM THIS YOU WONT LOOK LIKE A HUGE FEMALE BODYBUILDER. TRUST ME.
KNOW THE DIET THE MOST IMPORTANT THING .
NO CARBS NO CARBS NO CARBS DO YOU WANT METO TELL AGAIN NO CARBS. NO BREAD ,RICE ,CANDY NOFRUIT.AND VEGGIES
STICK TO MEATS,CHICKEN ,SKINLESS OF COURSE (BREAST), TURKEY NO SKIN
I KNOW IT WILL BE HARD -I WENT THROUGH IT AND I DID IT AND I FEEL GREAT ,OMEN LOOK AT ME AND ARE VERY ATTRACTED TO ME ALL BECAUSE OF THIS REGIMENT.IT WILL WORK . FIRST 3WEEKS ARE THE HARDEST, GETTING YOUR BODY USE TO THE CARB DEPLETION. YOU WILL GET CRAVINGS FOR CARBS AND GREASE ( I LOVE MACDONALDS AND BK) BUT YOU HAVE TO HAVE SNACKS ALWAYS WITH YOU BUT THEY HAVE TO BE OF PROTEIN , IAM I CLEAR. I KNOW THAT ITS INPOSIBLE TO TOTALLY ELIMINATE CARBS FROM YOUR DIET BUT BE AWARE. NO CARBS AFTER 3 PM...EVEN FAT IS BETTER THAN CARBS.
DRINK LOTS OF WATER
EAT LOTS OF PROTEIN
ALWAYS PUSH YOUR SELF WHEN DOING CARDIO
ANY ? EMAIL ME BACK
i PROMISE YOU WILL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER, LOOK GREAT AND IT WILL DO WONDERS FOR YOU LOOKS AND SOCIAL LIFE. TRUST ME ILL NEVER GO BACK..
HOPE I HELPED THEO..GOOD LUCK
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-01, 05:06

Plan: protein power
Stats: 190/150/145
BF:
Progress: 89%
Wink WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woah.......does the above post sound a little extreme and unhealthy???????......sounds like me from back in my bulimic days!!!!!!.....

the only way to lose weight is by thinking sensibly...first you have to commit to making a lifestyle change---not "die" with a "t"....because once you lose the X amount you were committed yourself to losing, you simply just can't go back to the old way of living....yes, there are some annoting peopple out there with the metabolic rate of a jackrabbit--but accept that you are not one of them and make the commitment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

read up on your many options and make the selction that will best fit your lifestyle...if you choose low carb, continue the forum---these people are absolutely wonderful support!!!!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-01, 11:44

Plan:
Stats: 275/235/220
BF:
Progress:
Default careful with the ephedra

you need to make sure you know what you are doing with ephedra
its not for everyone
has been fatal in rare cases
make sure u check it out
if you use it start slow and come off it slow
not good if u have diabetes or high bp
when i take it my bp goes up about 30/10
that is taking only 1 metabolift
dose is up to 6/day
havent tried more than 2
there are quite a few sites that discuss ephedra
dont completely shun carbs
atkins add 5 g /week seems sensible
lol
pawleysi
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-01, 09:37

Plan:
Stats: 203/195/136
BF:
Progress:
Default Against ephedra

THanks for all who replied to my post *S* but i do not believe in taking ephreda it is VERY dangerous!!!!! nor do i believe in taking any form of diet pills i feel like if you can't do it all natural no form of pills ....then there is no need to diet ............... pills are Very dangerous!!!!............ i've just started the mayo clinic diet today so i hope all goes well :-)..........i was doing low-carbing before i started on the mayo clinic diet ...........Question when low carbing are you supposed to be light-headed and dizzy when you first start off and why? cuz thats how i feel ..... and i can narrow it down to either too much tanning bed ...or the diet *LOL*....not sure which one is doing it .
Thanks if anyone has any answers
Twilite33
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-01, 20:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

yes twilite, you do have that fuzzy feeling the first few days lowcarbing. think of sugar as a drug that you are really dependent on. when you low carb, you drastically drop back on the sugar intake. you're going through withdrawal symptoms. you'll feel great in a few days. you'll sleep better at night and you'll have increased energy during the day. just hang in there.
by the way, what "mayo clinic diet" are you doing? the only one that i know of is the one i talked to you about.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-01, 08:25

Plan:
Stats: 203/122/128
BF:
Progress:

And do remember it is LOW carb and NOT no carb. you need those healthy carbs from good fiber sources Just spend those carbs wisely for the best of health
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-01, 00:51

Plan:
Stats: 238/195/190
BF:
Progress:
Default to debbiedobson

I don't know where you got your PH.D..
but studies have shown that Ephedrine burns fat safely.The North American Assc.for the study of Obesity.a Columbia Univ.-Harvard U clinical trial determined that ephedra/caffeine combo were minimal cardiovascular side effects.
Researchers found increased body weight loss and fat loss.no subjects suffered strokes,seizures,or heart attacts.SO PLEASE YOU YOUR HOME WORK BEFORE POSTING, POST WITH FACTS NOT HEARSAY!!!!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-01, 03:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi tfv,

Um, I'm reading debbie's post, and I see only warm and friendly words of encouragement to a new member with questions about lowcarbing .. .. The other folks who suggested approaching ephedra with some caution were expressing opinions meant to be helpful also.

Indeed, the Harvard study you noted is well known to us; our webmaster Wa'il posted it to the Research forum last November; click here to read it Yes, ephedra is generally safe, but must be approached with the usual caution, and with knowledge as to how it works, side effects and contraindications. It is after all, a drug, and is not for everybody. Aspirin is also generally regarded as safe, however, it has its own untoward effects as well, and is not for everybody.

Here are the contraindications (from Smartbasic.com who markets thermogenics with ephedra):
Quote:
WHO SHOULD NOT USE ASPIRIN AND EPHEDRA

First, you must be able to tolerate aspirin. People who are allergic to aspirin, are taking certain anticoagulant drugs, suffer from bleeding disorders have wet macular degeneration of the eye, or have ulcers or chronic gastritis may not be able to take any aspirin. (Beta carotene, taken with aspirin has been shown to eliminate gastric inflammation caused by aspirin)

Once it's been determined that you can tolerate aspirin, you need to ascertain if you can tolerate ephedrine-caffeine. Consult your physician if you are taking asthma medications, appetite suppressing drugs, antidepressants, or cardiovascular medications.

You should not take this combination if you have cardiovascular disease (especially cardiac arrhythmias), uncontrolled high blood pressure, diabetes, prostatic hypertrophy, glaucoma, psychosis, or thyroid disease. You shouldn't use this combination within 14 days after taking classical MAO inhibiting drugs (deprenyl is not a classical MAO inhibitor). It should not be taken by pregnant or lactating women.
Another thing worth noting is that Ephedra and ephedrine are NOT the same thing. Ephedra is the alkaloid extract of the herb ma huang, and contains ephedrine and other alkaloids which balance one another. Ephedrine is a highly purified alkaloid derivitave from ephedra, without the other substances.

You had wonderful success with ephedra and a lowcarb diet, and it's great to share that, but to recommend for others to do the same without offering links to further information or books, etc.... isn't helpful. New members are encouraged ALWAYS to read, learn and inform themselves about lowcarbing, and how it will affect their body and health. Stacking has its place, and if you check our Tips article on Stalls and Plateaus, you'll see it's suggested -- with links to information -- as a tool for those whose weight loss has stopped with the diet alone. Most folks are following a lowcarb program as a permanent way of LIFE.

Hope you share your lowcarb experience with us .. .. and continued success to you.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-01, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 220/199/140
BF:
Progress:

Just keep on going strong. This diet works basicly the same with everyone. You just have to know it in your mind that it is a change of eating for good. And feel good about that change...
Always on the low fat, low calorie diet they say you have to change this way until you lose your weight and then you can eat what you want sincelbly... That just didn't work. I dreaded my diet. This one is great, it fits me, and it makes me feel so much more healther than I have in a very long time...
And once you start feeling healther you will start acting healther. Your exersise will just gradually increase by it self. Yes you will still have to push yourself there but you can do a whole lot more than you thought you could....
Keep going strong in your daily LC way of life. You will most certianly make it!!!!