Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-03-02, 17:27

Plan: Candida Diet
Stats: 128/128/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb Newly diagnosed...any advice??

Hi everyone! I am so happy that I found this message board. I was just diagnosed with Candida yesterday and have begun the no-sugar, no-yeast diet as of last night. I have an appointment with a nutritionist next Thursday to help me understand the diet a little better, but am wondering what I can eat for snacks? I'm so used to just going to the pantry and raiding the cookie package or the bag of potato chips! I have no idea how I'm going to overcome these cravings

Also, my doctor wants me to take SF722, so I ordered some of that online yesterday. It should be here within a week, I think. I was wondering if anyone else is on this and if so, how many mg. are your pills? The one's I ordered are 50 mg, and I just wondered if that is the correct dosage to be taking.

Any advice or encouragement anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 23:37
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 330/330/140 Female 64
BF:

Hey MrsKatz,

Did you find your snacks? I haven't been on in a while and I just spotted your post.

If you haven't my favorite is to make my own cheesecake with whipping cream, cream cheese and Splenda with pecans browned in a little butter and cinnamon. That really helps with the sugar cravings.

Or I have some string cheese and maybe a little chicken.

Bry
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 17:41

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 122/118/114
BF:28
Progress: 50%

I would try to stay away from any types of cheese for now.

I was on SF-722 for about a week but then I switched to Primal Defense and then to Threelac. There is a site by Karen Tripp (http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4966/) who recovered from severe Candida using SF-722. You may want to check it out. She also writes about what she ate during her recovery.

tmo
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 19:22
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry, I should have stated where my diet comes from to allow LC cheesecake.

I follow Dr. Atkins Candida diet, fresh cheese such as mozzarella and cream cheese (to him) are okay because they have not been aged and there is no mold.

Bry
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 20:41

Plan: Candida Diet
Stats: 128/128/115
BF:

Thanks for the replies. I was told that I could have fresh mozzarella and string cheese, so I do eat those. I've also been eating Terra brand vegetable chips as a snack. My nutritionist is finding out if they are ok to eat because they are deep fried. And...I made some peanut butter cookies the other day using quinoa flour and splenda. They're ok, but not great. I'm finding more and more things that I can eat and that is encouraging. The only problem is finding the time to actually COOK all of my meals! And I don't have a dishwasher, so I'm constantly doing dishes too!

Ah well, I guess it will get easier with time and experience. The SF722 doesn't seem to be bothering me too bad yet, but I am only up to 1 capsule 3 times a day. I'm supposed to work my way up to 5 caps 3 times a day, one week at a time. I'm also taking acidophilus and a teaspoon of flax seed oil every day.

I'm hoping that SOME day I'll be able to introduce some of my favorite foods back into my diet...I miss sugar so much!

By the way, does anyone have a good pizza crust recipe that is yeast free, sugar free, wheat free and gluten free? If so, I'd LOVE to have it! Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-02, 20:56
Registered Member

BF:

I don't actually have a recipe for pizza crust, (I can't eat tomatoes on my candida plan) but I have seen cornmeal pizza crust recipes around on the net. Corn is gluten free. You might try one of those and just substitute corn flour or brown rice flour for regular wheat flour as a binder.

You're very daring to use quinoa... I find it too overpowering for anything. (that and I just don't like it ) Try a milder flour like brown rice or millet... both of thoser are gluten free as well. That might work better. I would be careful about peanuts, they are known for having mold.

Bry
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 17:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi MrsKatz,

I am sorry to hear about your Candida diagnosis. The low-carbohydrate diet is a good start for a Candida cure but must have some additional refinements and restrictions.

Check out my web page:

Bowel Diseases and Candida

Some of the drugs help in combination with the diet but the drugs alone will not cure the Candida. You can find some of they typical drugs in the "Leaky Gut Syndrome" links.

Good luck,

Kent