Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 02:44

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%
Question No Cheese, No Yogurt, No Fun At All?

THE OPINIONS REGARDING CANDIDA SURE SEEM TO BE VARIED. I HAVE READ/HEARD ALL THESE VARIOUS THINGS, SO NO WONDER I GET CONFUSED:

NO CHEESE AT ALL

MOZARELLA IS O.K. (ATKINS)

CREAM CHEESE IS O.K.

NO CHEESE, YOGURT (EVEN LIVE), SOURED OR FERMENTED DAIRY PRODUCTS (XANDRIA WILLIAMS)

COW'S MILK PRODUCTS ARE OFF-LIMITS, BUT GOAT OR SHEEP CHEESE IS O.K.

FETA IS O.K.

CHEESE, ONCE COOKED, IS O.K.
---------------------------------------------

WHAT HAVE YALL HEARD? I TEND TO AVOID ALL CHEESE MOST OF THE TIME, BUT NOW AND THEN HAVE A BIT OF CREAM CHEESE OR MOZARELLA, AND I JUST BOUGHT SOME FETA (NEVER USED IT BEFORE SO HAD BETTER CHECK THE RECIPE SECTION HERE!).

IT IS HARD ENOUGH TRYING TO DO THE ANTI-CANDIDA DIET WITH AN L.C. PLAN, BUT I WISH 'EXPERTS' AT LEAST AGREED ON WHAT IS ALLOWED OR NOT!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-05-02, 10:16

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Beth,

I know what you mean. I tend to follow Atkins's list since he is experienced and serious about candida, but his list is one of the more lenient. I also think there is some value in doing a stricter candida induction and then gradually adding back foods. I do notice that I get a froggy, itchy throat when I have any dairy.

What is your take on using tofu?

I have been using yogurt for the live culture, but recently cut it out because I am finding that I have to keep my carb count around 15 a day to lose any weight. I have stretches when I do that, and stretches when I go with maintenance - about 30 carbs a day for me.

I like feta cheese, but it has a different flavour. Do you like Greek salad?
Cube cucumber, tomato, green pepper and sweet onion. Toss with olive oil and oregano to taste. (Add a little lemon juice if you want to, but my Greek friend tells me that it's not authentic.) Crumble or dice the feta, stir in and serve. This is best fresh, so make small quantities.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 03:06

BF:

Sorry I didn't write sooner.

I am not great with tofu myself; it makes me hungry. I am fine with soy itself, but tofu seems to not sit so well with me. My Candida book says NO though. Then again, she doesn't even like live yogurt

Feta and I didn't get along. My dairy insensitivity is getting worse again, even when I take lactase. I had some feta last night and was NOT well. Cheese of any kind sets off my I.B.S.

I have had to completely exclude dairy for just now. I hope it helps. I can sometimes get live soya yogurt, so use that. I like soy, except tofu
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Beth,
My gyno suggested taking yogurt as part of the treatment for yeast. The live bacteria is necessary to help curb the yeast.

It is my understanding that the reason yogurt was prohibited was because of the lactose (milk sugars) but they recently found that the bacteria eats up the lactose in the culture phase. For this reason, it is now suggested that you only have to count 4 grams of carbs instead of the 16 listed for yogurt. Buttermilk also contains some of the live bacteria and it again doesn't affect those with a lactose intolerance because of the culturing.

I have some symptoms creeping back so I went on a yogurt fast yesterday and plan to do some other things to help with the yeast.

My symptoms that I notice first are peeling itchy hands, athletes feet, muscle aches and pains. Sometimes I never even get the "woman's" variety of yeast.

Hope this helps

Carol
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 04:38

BF:

Thanks for that. I tend to eat soya yogurt anyway, now that I have found some that's live. Dairy just does me bad, except cream, and that makes me fat because I binge on it!

The thing that has helped my Candida most is having Colonic Hydrotherapy. Man, that clears EVERYthing out! At the finish, she replaces some live bacteria to restore the balance in the gut. The last time I had it done (every 4-6 weeks just now), she told me the Candida is a lot better. As my weight is beginning to drop again, I believe her!

As I have said in another forum (the general low-carb one), I have recently been adding carbs back into my diet. I realised recently that the big nosedive I have been having with my M.S. has directly corresponded, time-wise, to the time I started low-carbing. I gradually added carbs back this past 12 days, and have been doing a more "normal" amount (FDA food pyramid) this past two days. I am feeling better than I have in months, and my legs are stronger than they have been for a long time.

I am keeping away from sugar, but as long as I am not bingeing, and my weight is still coming down, I am thinking that maybe I personally wasn't on the right track with the low-carbing after all. My digestive system is functioning normally for the first time in months too, and with my system, that is little short of miracuous. All the veg in the world didn't help it; it has responded to more 'evil' stuff, LC-wise. Oops.

This is NOT an excuse to binge or eat junk. Maybe I needed 6 months of complete abstinence from high carbohydrate foods to show me that I really CAN say 'No'. Maybe not, but we'll see.

If, 6 months from now, my M.S. is stil declining in the way it has this previous 6 months, I'll know it wasn't the low-carbing. However, to have my legs start to feel stronger after months of daily getting weaker and weaker is too big a deal to ignore.

My mother has been on Atkins for 25+ years and it makes her feel WONDERFUL. I just assumed I'd be able to do the same. I guess we are more different than I thought.

People have been asking me how I felt on a low-carb. diet and I said I felt fine, good even. Then I realised the progressive advance of my M.S. was NOT good, and that it had started when I started this W.O.E. I had to start back on St. John's wort for depression too, so who knows?

I hope you are well and happy and that your chosen W.O.E. is EXACTLY what you need!