Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 05:47

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
Wow, oddly enough, as I increased my fruit consumption about 6 weeks ago, I dropped a few pounds (even though I am in maintenance) and have maintained that loss........... all the while eating 2 fruits everyday... including the dreaded pineapple. Delicious!... I hate to see people fear things like veggies or even fruits.

2 fruits per day is nothing, so of course you're perfectly fine. A small glass of orange juice contains the sugars of 6 oranges and some people drink fruit juices all day long instead of soft drinks, because it's "healthy". Yeah right !

So I have nothing against fruits and veggies, really! What I hate is that our society has made people think that fructose is fine just because it comes from fruits.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 05:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT
I think Vit C will vary by person. I can take 1000 mg no problem, while my husband is bathroom-bound after a couple of hundred.

Yes it varies a lot and also it depends on your health status.

See this thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=401802

Since starting ZC, my bowel tolerance for Vit C is very close to zero. Even with my current cold, it's still very low.

Patrick
  #258   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 06:29

Plan: was Atkins, now undecided
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 67 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Yes it varies a lot and also it depends on your health status.

See this thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=401802

Since starting ZC, my bowel tolerance for Vit C is very close to zero. Even with my current cold, it's still very low.

Patrick

And with my hubby, it's the dead opposite....he''s a carb junkie who can't handle lots of C. I'm mostly Atkins, except when I'm misbehaving
  #259   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 07:40

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
2 fruits per day is nothing, so of course you're perfectly fine. A small glass of orange juice contains the sugars of 6 oranges and some people drink fruit juices all day long instead of soft drinks, because it's "healthy". Yeah right !

So I have nothing against fruits and veggies, really! What I hate is that our society has made people think that fructose is fine just because it comes from fruits.

Patrick

Where did that come from? I wasn't referring to fructose or juice or making any such comparison.

But since you think the 2 fruits each day is fine, why are you living on meat and water only?
  #260   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 08:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
Where did that come from? I wasn't referring to fructose or juice or making any such comparison.

But since you think the 2 fruits each day is fine, why are you living on meat and water only?

The point I'm trying to make is that it's not because some people, like you, are able to handle fruits, that it makes fruits healthy. It's just a question of quantity before you suffer from their toxicity. They are just nature's candies. They are absolutely optional, there is no need whatsoever for humans to eat veggies or fruits. If you like them and you can sustain them, then by all means enjoy them.

But I for one can't handle them at all. Even on the HED, I did not consume fruits. They stall me straight away.

Patrick
  #261   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 09:26

Plan: protien power
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

I can't tolerate fruit. A daily carb load of higher than 50g, and I gain. An occasional high day and I'm ok, but not daily. I try to stay ketogenic.

I have to disagree with the supposition that carbs are not toxic. I will say that the level matters, but GCBC goes into detail about the effects of excessive blood glucose on the body via glycation. Add to that the damaging effects of high insulin. I'm not talking about excess fat storage, but other effects that even skinny people get. Let's remember, thin does not equal healthy.

Beyond that, there are the simple effects of blood glucose on the immune system and the effects of inflammation on cancer growth, etc.

After drinking one regular soda, white blood cells can only kill 5 organisms an hour for 6 hours. In an environment of normal blood sugar, white blood cells can kill about 14 organisms and hour. This is a loss of about 60% efficiency. I tell my kids that sugary foods put there immune system in a sugar coma and keep thier carbs very low when they are fighting illness. (I believe this blood sugar/white blood cell chart is found in "Trick then Treat" by Barry Groves.
  #262   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Zone Good Enough
Stats: 223/194/185 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCole
I can't tolerate fruit. A daily carb load of higher than 50g, and I gain. An occasional high day and I'm ok, but not daily. I try to stay ketogenic.

I have to disagree with the supposition that carbs are not toxic. I will say that the level matters, but GCBC goes into detail about the effects of excessive blood glucose on the body via glycation. Add to that the damaging effects of high insulin. I'm not talking about excess fat storage, but other effects that even skinny people get. Let's remember, thin does not equal healthy.

Beyond that, there are the simple effects of blood glucose on the immune system and the effects of inflammation on cancer growth, etc.

After drinking one regular soda, white blood cells can only kill 5 organisms an hour for 6 hours. In an environment of normal blood sugar, white blood cells can kill about 14 organisms and hour. This is a loss of about 60% efficiency. I tell my kids that sugary foods put there immune system in a sugar coma and keep thier carbs very low when they are fighting illness. (I believe this blood sugar/white blood cell chart is found in "Trick then Treat" by Barry Groves.

Intersting, cuz my AIC, fasting glucose and basal insulin levels are much lower in "The Zone" then on a ketogenic diet. My liver and kidney functions also show more favorably as well.
  #263   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 12:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdill
Intersting, cuz my AIC, fasting glucose and basal insulin levels are much lower in "The Zone" then on a ketogenic diet. My liver and kidney functions also show more favorably as well.

Then I would say that your metabolism is better served on The Zone then.

Patrick
  #264   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 12:30
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
This is very interesting. Congratulations!

I backed off on the fruit after reading stuff around here about fructose. I still have a small serving of berries once in awhile (in early summer), but that's it for fruit for me these days. Good to know it didn't cause you any trouble, and in fact helped things along.

I am one who is still 'leery' of vegetables. It's ridiculous, but true. This is why I have to actually make an effort to include them. Today is *not* one of those days. Sometimes I revert to the 'fallback' option - very low in carbs. As in, no vegetables at all. Oh, well - there were some green onions in there, and there's a 1/4 avocado here with my late dinner.

Not good.

Why?

I do better with the vegetables in my diet.

And I am one of those who did stall out at a certain point. It wasn't until I increased my carbs in the form of low carb vegetables and the occasional bit of fruit that weight loss picked up speed again. I do not know why this is - it just is. I bought into the 'if low carb is good, then lower is even better' idea. Result? Stalled.

I think Jenny is *onto* something here.

Meanwhile, I'm particularly curious about this thryoid angle mentioned in Jenny's blog post - because after a couple of years on very low carb, my husband now has a thyroid problem. I am not too thrilled about this, and it isn't the first time that I've had inklings of 'long term very low carb' resulting in thyroid issues. I've heard this before. I just didn't believe it.

Well...here we are - and what I didn't want to hear or read - has turned out to be an issue.

I remember reading Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook - and in there were recommendations to increase carbs up to at least 100 grams every several weeks or so - this was intended to help 'upregulate thryoid hormones' (in the face of a very strict diet). While I was impressed with this book, I didn't end up following that particular diet (way too hard for me)...but still....this 'upregulating thyroid hormones' thing nagged at me.

I wish I'd paid more attention.

Meanwhile, here's the thing - it's been awhile since I read Good Calories, Bad Calories and so on - and while I realize it's true that we don't 'need' carbohydrates to survive...

I am interested in more than just surviving.

I don't 'need' to go on a walk to survive. Does that mean going on an afternoon walk is somehow unhealthy? Likewise, I don't 'need' to go to the gym and do some weight training in order to survive - do I then somehow translate this to mean it's unhealthy?

There are a lot of things I don't 'need' - and, in hindsight - I take this kind of thing to mean a bit of reassurance. I don't have to exercise to lose weight. If I don't want to eat vegetables, then I don't have to do that either.

But, I am not buying that these are unhealthy behaviours.

Great post and I totally agree!!
  #265   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 19:05
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing/Dukan
Stats: 192/166/160 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I don't give SB much credit due to the hypocrisy of the author, as I've told you before. He knows that people shouldn't eat grains, he follows a more paleo diet himself as you reported after going to one of his seminars, yet he doesn't put that in his book because he wants to sell lots of copies and put his trademark on diet food and we all know that you have to eat healthy whole grains or you'll asplode.

What's SB?
  #266   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 19:30

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogirl
What's SB?

South Beach Diet.
  #267   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing/Dukan
Stats: 192/166/160 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
South Beach Diet.

Oh, duh. I didn't see Agatson mentioned, just "the author." That explains the low-fat thing then.
  #268   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 05:48

Plan: protien power
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

kdill, carbohydrate consumption is very much affected by what you eat it with. Think about people 100 years ago. They were eating biscuits and corn and potatoes, etc. But they were not as obese as a whole, and had far less heart disease and cancer, etc. I would argue that the big difference between diet now and diet then is fat. Fat was natural, saturated, and from animals. And our Grandparents at a lot of it. Now, we (not us, them) eat less and what we eat is unsaturated and too high in Omega 6. Not only is it amplifying the negative affects of sugar, but it promotes inflammation all on its own (GCBC).

If you are zoning, you are eating carbs that have less effect on your blood glucose with meat, which also slows the effect of carbs on blood glucose. So you are probabley never circulating toxic levels of blood glucose. It's great that this is what works for you, my family eat the same way, but with a Weston A Price influence. I eat this way occasionally, but I FEEL best and will only lose on a ketogenic diet. But then again, I am a peri-menopausal 42 yo woman. Are you? I would bet that I am in the catagory which finds weight loss the most difficult (dammit).

Also, did you actually have blood work while on a ketogenic diet, as defined by VLC, HF, Adequate protein, for comparison?

Last edited by AJCole : Wed, Oct-14-09 at 05:51. Reason: additions
  #269   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

100 years ago most people has physical jobs: farming, construction.... The carbs they ate fed their muscles with little left over for fat storage. These days most people sit at a desk all day. The carbs in their breakfast aren't being burned off if you sit in a cubicle all day.
  #270   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-09, 10:02

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:

doctorK
That's not a true statement at all. There are probably more desk jobs out there now but there are still many physical jobs as well. Not everyone sits on their bum and not move.