Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 08:11

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Cutting Health Costs: Discounts For The Healthy?

NPR ran a piece this morning on Safeway's health insurance plan using reduced premiums to encourage, among other things, weight loss.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/...oryId=113549864

Quote:
Amid the national debate over health care, one thing everyone can agree on is that costs can't keep rising. Five years ago, one company implemented a plan that it says has kept its health care spending from increasing. NPR spoke with the executive of grocery chain Safeway Inc. about the company's wellness incentive program.

CEO Steve Burd says employees receive a discount on their health insurance if their body mass index is below 30, the number over which people are considered obese.

"If it's above 30, that means they pay about $318 more than someone who is in the other camp," says Burd. "But the beauty of our plan is that if you make a reduction of, let's say 10 percent of your body mass index, we write you a check at the end of the year for making that progress."

Burd says the company also provides financial incentives to employees who make gains in quitting smoking, bringing hypertension under control and lowering cholesterol.

"In a recent survey of our employees," he says, "78 percent either rated it 'very good' or 'excellent.' "

On a per capita basis, Burd says, Safeway has kept its costs flat for the past five years. He argues that if similar programs were implemented across the nation, health care spending would be drastically reduced.

"It's a pretty simple formula. Very few companies have done it, for one reason or another, and you know, we're confident that the nation could adopt a similar formula if the legislation gets written correctly," says Burd. "And you could not only reverse the obesity trends, you can reverse the cost curve as well."

Critics of Burd's data say Safeway's health care savings have not been independently verified. In a Kaiser Health News report, a spokeswoman for Safeway acknowledged that there has been no independent analysis, but said, "We were able to see savings clearly and immediately the first year we implemented the program."

Are Plans A Form Of Discrimination?

Organizations like the American Heart Association and the American Cancer Society argue that a program that lets the healthy pay less for health care discriminates against those who may be less healthy for a variety of reasons, including pre-existing conditions or socioeconomic status.

Burd says the groups are a bit misguided.

"For example, the American Cancer Society has lined up against this kind of incentive; yet they support tobacco taxes because they say it raises the price of a cigarette and it deters people from smoking.

"In our particular case, when we have an elevated premium for a smoker, that premium goes into our health care fund with the ability to take care of that employee 10 to 15 years down the road, should they develop lung cancer."

The premium functions as a deterrent, he says, and is necessary to keep nonsmokers from paying the medical costs of smokers. As for Safeway's BMI incentive, Burd says that if the nation doesn't get obesity under control, it won't be able to cut costs on health care.

Tackling Obesity: A Key Health Factor

When asked about combating obesity in other ways — like not selling sugary cereals and putting them at kids' eye level, or backing a tax on junk food, sweets and certain kinds of fried food — Burd says Safeway wouldn't support it.

"America was built on the notion of free choice, and people are free to choose what they eat and whether or not they exercise," he says.

"All we would say, in Safeway, is that you should bear the consequences of those free-choice decisions that you make. So we don't want to restrict what people buy. I think that takes us in the wrong direction. Why shouldn't I be able to enjoy an occasional french fry as long as I know that I have to make a trade-off and burn those calories off?"
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 08:54
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

I was hoping someone would catch this. I heard part of it while driving to work this morning but missed some of it as well.

I would like to see my insurance company incorporate a BMI incentive. I would definitely qualify for it. Instead I pay as much in premiums as my 300 pound neighbor who thinks sitting in a duck blind all day is exercise.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 09:01

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

BMI is a very inaccurate measure of health. If they based it on triglyceride and A1C levels it might make sense.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 09:10

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
BMI is a very inaccurate measure of health. If they based it on triglyceride and A1C levels it might make sense.

Exactly. There are a lot of assumptions that Burd is making here.

Quote:
Burd says the company also provides financial incentives to employees who make gains in quitting smoking, bringing hypertension under control and lowering cholesterol.

The BMI thing we know is inaccurate (I wont be sending any of my bodybuilder friends to the Safeway job application desk...)

But lowering cholesterol? So Safeway will be slowly acquiring employees who are more prone to cancer and depression...

They are charging people less for health insurance based on a failed hypothesis. Let's check back with them in a few years to see how this brilliant plan is working out. The proof is in the pudding.
However, any incentives for quitting smoking are good I'll admit. But how to gauge which health outcomes are a direct result of quitting smoking as opposed to lowering cholesterol?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 11:08

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

I don't think the there is any particularly valid way to do this. On the other hand appropriate copays might do some of it.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 12:04

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:

There are markers for good health. Cholesterol, inflammation, A1C, blood pressure, etc

They could ask for a standard health exam and give discounts for each health marker is in the "normal" range. I agree that BMI would be a stupid one to use. Better to use a caliper and measure body fat.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: Zone, IF
Stats: 220/170/160 Male 67 inches
BF:25%
Progress: 83%

BMI may not work for those at the extremes of either end, meaning too fat or too muscled or too skinny. But for the 90% that fall within a normal bell curve, it's a simple and practical tool.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 16:02

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
There are markers for good health. Cholesterol

Nope on the cholesterol...

" In a finding that appears to stand a basic health recommendation on its ear, researchers who have been tracking a group of old men for decades now say low blood cholesterol is associated with an increased death rate.

A study of more than 3,500 Japanese-American men over the age of 70 found a steadily increasing death rate from all causes when cholesterol levels drop, reports a group led by Dr. Irwin J. Schatz, a professor of medicine at the University of Hawaii.

“We have been unable to explain our results,” they write in the Aug. 4 issue of The Lancet."
http://weeksmd.com/?p=494

"Dr. Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD, who wrote the book The Cholesterol Myths, goes through study after study destroying the idea that high cholesterol levels are the cause of heart disease. In the Framingham heart study done near Boston that spanned 30 years , the researchers concluded that high cholesterol was a risk factor for heart disease, but when one really dissects the data, one must question how they came to that conclusion. For example, when the participants of the study are plotted on a graph it clearly shows that those with cholesterol levels between 182 and 222 did not survive as long as those with higher cholesterol levels of between 222 and 261. The study shows that about half the people with heart disease had low cholesterol, and half the people without heart disease had high cholesterol.

Most studies have found that for women, high cholesterol is not a risk factor for heart disease at all - in fact, the death rate for women is five times higher in those with very low cholesterol. In a Canadian study that followed 5000 healthy middle-aged men for 12 years, they found that high cholesterol was not associated with heart disease at all. And in another study done at the University Hospital in Toronto that looked at cholesterol levels in 120 men that previously had heart attacks, they found that just as many men that had second heart attacks had low cholesterol levels as those that had high. The Maoris of New Zealand die of heart attacks frequently, irrespective of their cholesterol levels. In Russia, it is low cholesterol levels that are associated with increased heart disease. The Japanese are often cited as an example of a population that eat very little cholesterol and have a very low risk of heart disease. But the Japanese that moved to the US and continued to eat the traditional Japanese diet had heart disease twice as often as those that maintained the Japanese traditions but ate the fatty American diet. This suggests that it is something else, like stress perhaps, that is causing the heart disease.

Dr. Malcolm Kendrick noticed that in the MONICA study that has been going on for about 40 years, there is no association between high cholesterol levels and heart disease"
http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2...e_heart_disease

As for BMI....
"Kenneth Devlin of National Public Radio recently took on the issue of the many flaws of the body mass index, and in fact came up with a bunch of good reasons why BMI is bogus.

We’ll cover them quickly for people who can’t take the time to listen to the original piece.

1. The formula was developed by a mathematician, not a doctor, and he explicitly said it shouldn’t be used to rate individual fatness.
2. It makes no sense scientifically (why is height squared, for instance?).
3. It makes no accounting for relative differences in bone mass, muscle mass and fat, and the differing weights of each.
4. High BMI doesn’t logically mean that a person is overweight or obese.
5. It assumes people are sedentary, with high fat and low muscle mass, so those who don’t fit the mold look unhealthy.
6. It sounds scientific but really isn’t.
7. It suggests hard and fast boundaries for the different weight categories, which clearly don’t exist in reality.
8. BMI gives insurance companies a handy way to charge people more without really evaluating their health.
9. It’s actually embarrassing to the United States to base such important health decisions on such a dumb model."
http://calorielab.com/news/2009/07/...ss-index-flaws/

" in 1998, the NIH changed the rules: They consolidated the threshold for men and women, even though the relationship between BMI and body fat is different for each sex, and added another category, "overweight." The new cutoffs—25 for overweight, 30 for obesity—were nice, round numbers that could be easily remembered by doctors and patients.

Keys had never intended for the BMI to be used in this way. His original paper warned against using the body mass index for individual diagnoses, since the equation ignores variables like a patient's gender or age, which affect how BMI relates to health. It's one thing to estimate the average percent body fat for large groups with diverse builds, Keys argued, but quite another to slap a number and label on someone without regard for these factors. "
http://www.slate.com/id/2223095/pagenum/2
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 10:10

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

And study after study find that the lower weight people seem to die earlier than the overweight or moderately obese. Could this be an artifact of BMI?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 10:36

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
And study after study find that the lower weight people seem to die earlier than the overweight or moderately obese. Could this be an artifact of BMI?

For obese people, their fat cells are removing a poison from the blood. Those that do not become obese will develop other nastier issues because of this poison. So we might say that the obese are the lucky ones.

Patrick
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 11:01

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:

I know that cholesterol levels aren't really a good marker but it's widely accepted, that's why i mentioned it. If the insurance companies knew their business, they would look for triglycerides levels and the particle size of your HDL. But since they are talking about BMI, they obviously have no clue.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 17:42

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
But since they are talking about BMI, they obviously have no clue.

Really. Every single other health marker besides BMI is perfect in my records. I haven't been sick in...3 or 4 years, I can't remember. No health conditions, no medications. Yet I'm still considered at deaths door just because my BMI is still sky high. That's just silly.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-09, 09:50

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
Really. Every single other health marker besides BMI is perfect in my records. I haven't been sick in...3 or 4 years, I can't remember. No health conditions, no medications. Yet I'm still considered at deaths door just because my BMI is still sky high. That's just silly.

That was my reaction too, Bat Spit. I have some lean coworkers who are far less healthy than I am. Grrrr!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-09, 11:13
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Actually nearly everybody I know is less healthy than I am. I once got in a debate in a family get together and finally pointed out that while I was greatly fat, I was the ONLY person in that room who had not had surgery to remove body parts or who wasn't on some endless-prescription chronic medication. At this point, with a couple rare exceptions (like my natural bodybuilder cousin TJ) (yes, TJ and PJ, how cute eh) it seems to be the 'norm' for people to have health issues younger and younger, be on medications ranging from coumadin to prozac to statins, to be missing gall bladders and wombs and so on, and people seem to think this is NORMAL. I tell my dad, "It is NOT normal for people to be sick!!" But everyone thinks I am unrealistic, that of course it's normal. Sheesh!

Since I quit eating gluten, my severe acid reflux, severe allergies, severe asthma -- all of which arrived late in life -- vanished. I was born with a mild heart murmur that is no big deal. Cleaning up my food resolved the only health issues I had "besides obesity". Which in my case is severe enough to be a health issue but, IMO, not nearly the health issue that my stepmom's diabetes is (she's thin), etc.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-09, 11:47

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Nah, people don't need another reason to feel entitled and better than the sick, old or fat.