Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default lard

Karen, I haven't been able to source any Pure Lard that doesn't say (in the fine print on the Ingredients list) "lard (may be hydrogenated), ...".

Have you got any tips on brands or sources of (I guess it would be) "organic" or pure lard?

Thanks for your time, as ever.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-05, 13:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

No, I haven't come across any suppliers of real lard. We don't use it a the Fish House

I don't know if there are any Latin American stores in Victoria, but they sometimes will have real lard in the refrigerator case.

It's pretty easy to make from pork fat. Is it lard sculpture time at school?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-05, 17:38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
No, I haven't come across any suppliers of real lard. We don't use it a the Fish House

I don't know if there are any Latin American stores in Victoria, but they sometimes will have real lard in the refrigerator case.

It's pretty easy to make from pork fat. Is it lard sculpture time at school?

Karen

Yeah, I could make it, but I'm doing 2 pt jobs and the schooling, so would rather buy it! RBF would be handy, too.

I'll see if there are any Latin American stores lurking in our small town.

...and no it's not lard sculpture time YET -- and they use that dreadful but very hardy fake shortening (I forget the name of it) for that -- it's certainly no good for actually EATING !

ps: will you be coming the Island Feast of Fields this year? I'm debating attending with myself...but 75, well, it bears thinking about...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 19:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
ps: will you be coming the Island Feast of Fields this year? I'm debating attending with myself...but 75, well, it bears thinking about...
I don't think so. I've been really busy lately and like to have my days off as days off.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-05, 07:09

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

islandgirl: i was just reading a canadian magazine and saw an ad for Tenderflake pure lard which has all over the label " non-hydogenated" in huge letters....you were looking for this?

Hope this helps...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-05, 13:36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
islandgirl: i was just reading a canadian magazine and saw an ad for Tenderflake pure lard which has all over the label " non-hydogenated" in huge letters....you were looking for this?

Hope this helps...

Hey, Deb! Greetings!

It was a Tenderflake box that had this for the Ingredients:
Lard (may be hydrogenated), BHA, BHT, Citric Acid.

Hmmmmm, Maple Leaf makes it and I noticed recently they're revamping a few of their product lines, such as veggie-fed (i.e., no ground up cow parts in their protein supplement) chicken products. Looks like they may be marketing for the no-Trans-Fat crowd now that the public is becoming so much more aware and the government is seriously considering legislating trans fats... I guess if one waits long enough....

Thanks, Deb! I'll go see what's out there in the new stock!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-29-05, 23:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/160/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Safe Shortening

Just wanted to let everyone know that you can get a shortening with no-trans-fats or hydrogenated anything, at Capers or some IGAs (the North Van one on Esplanade) Whole Foods, etc.

It's called Earth Balance Natural Shortening. I was so very excited to find it last year. The only other safe alternative is coconut oil, which is more expensive, but also produces excellent results. Find recipes for coconut oil crust in the book "Voluptuous Vegan" or "Healthy Immunity" by Lorna Vanderhaaghe. Find Earth Balance recipes at the following site:

http://www.earthbalance.net/

Happy LC baking
Leigh
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 18:56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datahamstr
Just wanted to let everyone know that you can get a shortening with no-trans-fats or hydrogenated anything, at Capers or some IGAs (the North Van one on Esplanade) Whole Foods, etc.

It's called Earth Balance Natural Shortening. I was so very excited to find it last year. The only other safe alternative is coconut oil, which is more expensive, but also produces excellent results. Find recipes for coconut oil crust in the book "Voluptuous Vegan" or "Healthy Immunity" by Lorna Vanderhaaghe. Find Earth Balance recipes at the following site:

http://www.earthbalance.net/

Happy LC baking
Leigh

Yes, indeed, I have some of this in my collection , I believe it's Palm Oil based, another natural saturated (solid at room temperature) fat from the tropics.