Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: no grains no sugar
Stats: 172/160/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Everyone I've been away for awhile. Still doing pretty good. Just started going to a Naturopath. Dr. Bryce Wylde (he's on City tv) I really like him. I've also gone to his nutritionist .I didn't learn too much. Following most of what I've already learned from Raw food sites like this one. And of course my raw food classes with Hallelujah Acres. But unfortunately they've moved down to Toronto. Not sure if I'll get there much. 1 1/2 hour drive. I've kept my weight off.But now sugars are elevated and won't come down with meds. I've just upped my exercise to see if that will help. Lots of water. This time of year it's hard not to have the extras while visiting everyone. That's all for now. Suzy
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-22-09, 09:29

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Are you eating a lot of fruit? Your main fruits should be avocados and olives - that will keep your carbs lower and your fats higher. Coconut can help too.

Remember that fructose is the same whether it comes from fruit or sugarcane - it wrecks your liver and stimulates hunger, and it can ferment in your small intestine. It's much worse than starch or glucose, even though its GI is lower.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 10:17

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default You are appreciated!

I can't begin to tell everyone just how much your notes have helped and inspired me. For the past few weeks while researching I thought I was all alone.

April, I bought The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Raw . I have just started it, and it seems to be more on my beginner's level! Perfect.

We have a local health food store but they knew nothing about any raw food groups or classes in our area. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are both two and a half hours away in Indianapolis. (I'm in Champaign, Illinois.)

Capmikee, thank you for the Illinois farm link. We have an Amish community about 45 minutes away. They might also be a wonderful resource.

I have a Kitchen Aid blender (still in the box) that I might try to begin with. A dehydrator sounds like it would helpful too. Do they have to be special ordered?

You all (can you tell my Virginia roots show!?) have been amazing and all of your help and advice is taking me to the next level!

Thank you so much!

Kathy
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-09, 14:01

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi Kathy,

I got my dehydrator - the square one with drawers and teflex sheets - from my local health food store. But I started with one from the Wal-Mart. I just cut out rounds of parchment paper for recipes calling for teflex sheets and it worked fine - plus stuff dries more quickly with parchment.

The problem with that one was, there was no temperature guage and I did not know if I was going over the recommended 115 degrees F. However, it was great to practise on and I used it for a good long time. Then my husband bought me a new one for my birthday last year.

You can also mail order them. Many people recommend the extremely expensive Excalibur, and that's great if you can afford it.

I use the dehydrator to make raw seed ookies and manna and other seed breads. I have a few nice recipes.

The idiot's guide has some easy recipes for nut milks, treats etc. I also like the Raw Epicurean: http://rawepicurean.net. - since their recipes always work out and taste really good.

Mostly, I eat raw produce, but sometimes you have to have a bit of a treat or a break and that's where the dehydrator comes in; and it's much easier to convince the rest of the family to support you and even join you if they know they are at least going to have the occasional foods they love.

I also have a great recipe for raw chocolate pudding made with avacados. You won't believe how silky smooth it is.

Email me anytime with any questions, It's best to transition slowly to avoid a toxic dump (made that mistake and regretted it). It is also much less hard on the family that way too.

Baby steps. Start with an all raw breakfast then add one or two dishes of raw at lunch and supper.

My husband now takes a green smoothie to work each day for breakfast, and manna bread with raw nut butter, lots of veggies, and raw cookies fruit for lunch and he loves it! He does not feel deprived in the least. He can have meat (chicken or fish) twice a week, and a thick bowl of soup every night with his salad. Sometimes for dessert I make chia pudding, chocolate avacado pudding, raw cookies or just fruit salads and nuts. I forgo the meat, but still eat one bowl of soup or some lightly steamed veggies a few times a week.

You won't believe the difference in me. The vision in my right eye had been terribly blurred for years and it has cleared up. I am 55 and don't even need the glasses I had been wearing since age 40. There are many other benefits.

So write me with any questions and i am certain the others would be delighted to help in any way as well.

April info~anstria.com

Merry Christmas!!!

Last edited by januaria : Thu, Dec-24-09 at 14:06. Reason: Dumb--ss spelling mistakes
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Dec-27-09, 22:30

BF:
Default Hi April!

I am just finishing up reading The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. I am thinking I will follow her advice (you said the same thing) about beginning slowly. Scouting shopping trips are in order for finding many of the foods and ingredients I usually do not use.

The past few days have been spent trying to decide what appliance to purchase first. It has been between a blender and a juicer. I have a regular blender and think I will just use it and see how long it will last, and will purchase a juicer. I seem to have come down to two--the Omega Model 8006 and the Omega VRT330. Both will juice greens and wheat grass and seem to have an easier clean-up than others. Do you have any recommendations/suggestions?

After a Christmas dinner with family and friends, I had awful stomach and back cramps--a definite message from my body to stop playing around and begin detoxing! Those pains lasted almost 24 hours. I did a lemon juice and water fast for the next 24 hours and felt well again.

Now, just to figure out a juicer! Thank you everyone for your patience (and April, I will email you when I figure out what questions to ask!).

Happy almost New Year!

Kathy

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 14:58

BF:

I have made the decision to go with a blender. After finding the www.GreenSmoothiesGirl.com website, I decided to get a Blendtec. She also has a lot of videos on the site, everything from shopping at the local grocery store produce department to making green smoothies and desserts. VitaMix sent me a notice saying they were presenting on QVC this past weekend, and I watched their shows and picked up lots of wonderful ideas.

While waiting for my blender to arrive, I have been through two "chocolate meltdowns" and need nutritional help fast. Hurry blender, hurry!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-11-10, 19:16

BF:

My Blendtec blender arrived January 13 and I have used it every day since. My morning meal is a green smoothie and for the past ten days, that has also been my evening meal. I am eating (well, drinking) things that I never thought would pass my lips!

Right now I am sipping on a mango, pineapple, banana and greens smoothie.

I am trying to switch over to as much raw/fresh food as possible. I have not been hungry, but have been craving my old food (SAD) terribly. I'm not craving sweets, but things like pizza.

The Arnold's Way website has been really helpful to me too. They make banana whips using a Champion juicer. That might have to be my next purchase. My blender and I have become inseparable.

Kathy
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 126/123/115 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 27%

You can eat mostly raw without lots of carbs--I've been doing it for a few months now.

If you want to eat nuts, most raw foodists soak them first as this deactivates the enzyme inhibitors in them. After they're soaked you can dehydrate them if you wish. The amount of time varies; just google it and I'm sure you can find a chart.

As for dairy...there are lots of raw cheeses out there. I find that the biggest (and cheapest!) selection is at Trader Joe's. They have a raw cheddar there that's to die for! Much more delicious than pasteurized cheddar. I've only been fortunate enough to have raw milk once, as it's over $12 a gallon here in Arizona.

And for fruit...just try and choose the more low-sugar fruits, such as berries. I like to make smoothies for breakfast, and frozen blueberries/strawberries are a good choice. You can add some cold-pressed flax/coconut oil to up the fats and enhance flavor.

Veggies are pretty easy--just don't eat the ones high in starch. Too many raw cruciferous veggies can be hard on the digestion though, so try not to overdo it.

As for meat...I only eat seafood, though not raw. There are plenty of recipes out there for raw meat though, such as ceviches, tartare, etc. You can kill the bacteria in meat by putting it in the freezer for 14 days, and for seafood you can simply marinate it in an acid, such as whey or lemon juice.

And as some earlier poster suggested, the books Wild Fermentation and Nourishing Traditions (my bible!) are really good. I'd also recommend The Raw Foods Resource Guide, by Jeremy Safron, and any books by Ani Phyo. She is famous in the raw community, though I can't say that she's low-carb.

Oh, and this website is VERY helpful as well:
http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/index.php
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 22:39

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosima
As for meat...I only eat seafood, though not raw. There are plenty of recipes out there for raw meat though, such as ceviches, tartare, etc. You can kill the bacteria in meat by putting it in the freezer for 14 days, and for seafood you can simply marinate it in an acid, such as whey or lemon juice.

I feel obligated to note that freezing doesn't really do anything to bacteria, but it does kill parasites. Salt, acid and searing will kill the bacteria on the surface, and unless the meat is ground, there won't be any on the inside.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 22:49
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 126/123/115 Female 5'6
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I feel obligated to note that freezing doesn't really do anything to bacteria, but it does kill parasites. Salt, acid and searing will kill the bacteria on the surface, and unless the meat is ground, there won't be any on the inside.

Ahh, my bad. Parasites are actually what I meant to say--I remember reading that in Nourishing Traditions. Thanks for the correction.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-10, 15:43

BF:

My transition to raw continues.

I eat simply and make lots of smoothies. They satisfy me. I have green smoothies mainly for breakfast and a banana/peanut butter/almond milk "ice cream" smoothie (my non-raw extravagance) for lunch. With watermelon in season right now, I am eating them daily. Once a week I take myself out for breakfast and splurge with a veggie and cheese omelet. Most suppers are green smoothies again, or veggies to munch on.

My next purchase will probably be a dehydrator so I can branch out a bit. But, for now I am happy with how I am eating. The biggest problem has been traveling. I have been able to freeze my green smoothies, put them in the cooler, and defrost them when I am ready. That has worked out fine.

Social events have been a real challenge. People don't like it when you don't eat like they do . There are no natural food stores (like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's) anywhere near us, nor any raw restaurants. This is a whole new ballgame (it was to me too just a year ago!). But, I am learning as I go, and I have discovered that I need to be happy with my food plan, and everything else will fall into place...and, I have lost 21 pounds so far This is a lifestyle, not just a way to eat

Kathy
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 07:47
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 232/202/120 Female 5'3
BF:Insane

Old but interesting thread. I was trying something like this a few years ago..doing a raw/whole food diet keto style but people on another forum were against it and saying it doesn't work.

I loved raw.. I weighed my lowest in my life on that of 120. It's when I went off it..couldn't afford all the fruit and vegetables, no longer had the resources to buying in bulk and co-ops and all that.. and turned into a sugar addict and some other health issues is when I gained a ton of weight and just stopped giving a crap. I tried going back to it but I was such a blood sugar mess and so hungry on it I couldn't stick with it. I mean, I went from 120 to 220 in 2 years.

Since being in keto though I find myself gravitating back to the raw foods.. 1 or 2 huge salads a day with little Olive oil/ACV dressing, raw eggs and raw cheese. I use my commercial/high speed blender for celery juice and I throw a few leaves of spinach in it. It's the only vegetables I can actually blend and drink on it's own. It's not worth it for me to dig out the juicer when I'm limited on what I can use.

I think it'll be easier to go back to raw once my weight is much lower. Obviously the more you weigh the more calories you need. I'm currently eating some meat and I don't like meat that much and don't want to eat it. Just trying to do the lowcarb/ketosis thing correctly and give it a chance to work. When I was raw, I wanted no part of meat. But I want this weight gone so bad I'm just trying to give it a chance. I can't eat soy.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Apr-25-11, 08:32

BF:
Default Hi!

I just can't call you "Failed" because that is not who you are. You are a beautiful person who is working on improvement like all of us.

Like you, I have gained weight back and am in the process of getting back on track. My mental attitude seems to have everything to do with my progress. I have been on a sugar binge and am struggling to get back to my fruits and veggies. I too have a juicer and love how I feel after I have made a good healthy drink for myself. My favorite has been carrots and apples.

Gardening has never been my strong point, but I am trying strawberries, tomatoes and greens this year. Anything fresh off the vine is beyond wonderful! Do you garden or live somewhere that has a farmers' market? That might help with the eating.

Another inspiring thing for me has been reading and watching videos from Dr. Richard Schulze. He has a strong personality, but I have learned so much from everything he has available. Here is a link to his blog: https://herbdocblog.com/.

I wish you all the best and would love to hear how you are doing.

Kathy

Last edited by purnois : Mon, Apr-25-11 at 16:48.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-12, 09:20

BF:
Default Looking for a raw food support friend

I would like to reactivate this thread and see if anyone is interested in being a raw food buddy? I am back to my green smoothies and feel SO GOOD when I have them.

Kathy
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-13, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: paleo and ketogenic
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosima
You can eat mostly raw without lots of carbs--I've been doing it for a few months now.

If you want to eat nuts, most raw foodists soak them first as this deactivates the enzyme inhibitors in them. After they're soaked you can dehydrate them if you wish. The amount of time varies; just google it and I'm sure you can find a chart.

As for dairy...there are lots of raw cheeses out there. I find that the biggest (and cheapest!) selection is at Trader Joe's. They have a raw cheddar there that's to die for! Much more delicious than pasteurized cheddar. I've only been fortunate enough to have raw milk once, as it's over $12 a gallon here in Arizona.

And for fruit...just try and choose the more low-sugar fruits, such as berries. I like to make smoothies for breakfast, and frozen blueberries/strawberries are a good choice. You can add some cold-pressed flax/coconut oil to up the fats and enhance flavor.

Veggies are pretty easy--just don't eat the ones high in starch. Too many raw cruciferous veggies can be hard on the digestion though, so try not to overdo it.

And as some earlier poster suggested, the books Wild Fermentation and Nourishing Traditions (my bible!) are really good. I'd also recommend The Raw Foods Resource Guide, by Jeremy Safron, and any books by Ani Phyo. She is famous in the raw community, though I can't say that she's low-carb.

Oh, and this website is VERY helpful as well:
http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/index.php

I am new here, but thanks for the information. I am going to check out these books. I am still eating fish as well..can't seem to let go of it right now.

I am interested in shedding about 5-8 lbs. I seem to need low carb in general.. thanks again for the information.