Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: to be happy
Stats: // Female 168
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default does fat fast cause muscle loss?

Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of doing a week on Dr. Atkin's "fat fast" (1000 calories a day, 750-900 of which come from fat) because he claims it is the most effective way to jump-start weight loss, esp if you are resistant to losing. My question is whether the fat fast could result in significant loss of muscle as well as fat? The reason I ask is that if 750-900 of your 1000 cals are from fat, then only 100-250 can come from protein, which means you can have only 25-42g of protein per day. According to Drs. Eades (of the 'Protein Power' book), this is less than most people need to maintain their muscle mass, so it looks like the fat fast would make you lose muscle. *Unless* the fat fast results in such deep ketosis that muscle loss is prevented? Any info would be much appreciated?
Thanks!
Annie.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 15:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

I'm not sure that the fat fast should be done for a week I will check the book. I don't know how anyone could physically do it for a week - one day killed me. However, I think it's safe to say that for the few days you can do it, it will not result in any significant muscle loss. It also wont result in any significant fat loss either.

Fat fasts are designed to jump start ketosis, they force water from your fat cells (primarily because of how little sodium you are ingesting). When you go back to eating regularly most of the weight lost comes back on - but you're usually in ketosis (the aim of the fat fast).

I do believe that the fat fast is recommended when you have stalled or plateaued out for 6 weeks (6 weeks no scale or inches lost) - if this is the case then it's definitely an option.

You might try a search on this site for more information - it's been discussed ad nauseum

Best of luck,
Nat

P.S. I removed your second post in the Atkins forum - one post will do the trick around here Most of us use the "view new posts" feature off the main page. Duplicating posts leads to confusion as you end up with two sets of answers and not everyone posting has the benefit of what is being said.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 15:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Fat fasts should only be used if you are metabolically resistant.

The best thing you can do for yourself is follow the 2 week induction to a "T". Yes, I know it's hard, but it's part of the process of withdrawal and the first step in changing your eating habits. Just keep doing it until it becomes second nature.

I would only do a fat fast after a lot of experience with low-carbing. They can really throw you for a loop.

As I recall, a FF should be no longer than 4 days. Ketosis does not prevent muscle loss but very little muscle would be used in 4 days.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: to be happy
Stats: // Female 168
BF:
Default I'm still confused

Thanks for your replies, but I'm still confused. In his book, Dr. A. suggests that the fat fast results in quick fat loss, not water loss. He even says that anyone who is not metabolically resistant should not do it because they could lose faster than is safe. Also I don't think he mentions anything about low sodium so I don't see why it should be a low sodium diet any more than other forms of low-carb diets. The other thing confusing me is that Dr. A. and the Eades seem to have different opinions on the best way to jump-start weight loss. Dr. A. recommends the fat-fast (high-fat, low-carb, low-protein), whereas the Eades recommend low-fat, low-carb and moderate protein. Who is right??????? I'm just trying to understand the whole process so that I can decide what is best for me, but it's so hard to know what to do when there are so many conflicting opinions, even among the experts!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 17:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Dr. A. and the Eades seem to have different opinions on the best way to jump-start weight loss. Dr. A. recommends the fat-fast (high-fat, low-carb, low-protein), whereas the Eades recommend low-fat, low-carb and moderate protein. Who is right???????

That depends. Atkins stresses that fat fast is for people who are metabolically resistant - those who have followed the plan properly - no caffeine, very little dairy, no artificial sweeteners, etc. - and have not lost any weight. The Eades is more like Atkins induction - getting back to basics when you have strayed too far from the path.

A lot of the time we have people moaning about the lack of weight loss then find out after asking for menus that they are eating all sorts of things that are slowing their loss: low-carb bars, too much dairy, processed meat, nuts, artificial sweeteners, doing a low fat version, not eating enough, cheating once a week... All they have to do is clean up their way of eating and weight loss resumes. Or, their metabolism is damaged from years of yo-yo dieting. In that case, steadily low-carbing will help their body to trust their food choices again.

Nat is right about water being forced from the fat cells, and regaining back the water afterwards.

Once again, there is no need to jump-start weight loss if you have just started low-carbing. It's a learning process - one that has to be taken one step at a time. Using quick-loss methods teach you nothing at all about the process. It's how a "diet" turns into a way of life.

I'm not trying to be difficult or contrary here. It's really important that new LC'ers get off on the right foot and zooming into a fat fast as an introduction to LC is too much, too soon. You won't be confused by picking either Atkins or Protein Power and following the guidelines. There is lots of support and guidance on this board for it.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 10:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/190/165
BF:
Progress: 77%

Its not water weight thats lost. Most people on the fat-fast are eating salted peanuts. The weight comes right back on because of set-point. If you gain it back, you didn't break the plateau. Is it water? sort of. When fat is lost, water is retained. What your gaining back though, is fat. Your metabolism crashes when you plateau, fat-fasting increases ketosis. Weight falls off you. But your metabolism will not jump up again until the entire range is broken. That can be as many as 10lbs one may have to lose to clear the range. If you don't have the will-power to do a fat-fast 4 days, or 4 days on 4 days off and 4 on... as a worse case scenerio... then do a 3 or 4 hours of walking everyday on the tredmill for a week. Plateaus are broken with speed, not consistency.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/215/165
BF:
Progress: 55%

At the risk of sounding like a complete newbie...could someone give me an idea as to what you would eat in a day during a fat fast. I have been stalled for 3 months after 9 months of steady weight loss.. HELP!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:53

BF:

Dr. Atkins provides a Fat Fast menu in the most recent version of his book.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by tecaddict
Its not water weight thats lost. Most people on the fat-fast are eating salted peanuts.

Most people are eating Macadamia nuts and nothing but - sodium intake is less than 600mg a day, this flushes out the fat cells resulting in a forced 'whooosh'. Ketosis is acheived and fatburning can commence - the weight lost is water weight and most of it comes back on.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Hi anniemc,

I did the Atkins' fat fast for four days and didn't really think it accomplished much. I lost maybe 1 or 2 pounds. I don't remember exactly. It did not break the plateau or start weight loss again. Frankly, I was very disappointed with the FF.

I believe the FF could very well cause a loss in lean muscle because of the low-calories and low-protein. The body will make glucose out of muscle protein in this case. However, as others have stated, four days is not enough to any significant muscle loss.

My most successful method for breaking a plateau is returning to the Atkins' induction with as few carbs as possible and not over-eating. I maintain weight at 20 gm carbs and medium calorie intake and can gain weigh at 20 gm carbs if I eat to much.