Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 21:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Things I have learned

Time passes and we all learn tips and tricks. here are a few thngs I figured out.

1. A serving is NOT however much I want at one time.

2.Don't fake anything, no mashed cauliflower 'potatoes'..instead I have baked cauliflour mashed with cheese and cream cheese.

3. NEVER Apologise for being low carb when you visit someone. If you were a diabetic they wouldn't serve cake. why should they get all huffy if you say "no thanks, I don't eat poison?"

4. Don't "Miss" any food. Since this is about choice you can have anything you want... but why would you want to put processed sugar and refined crap into a perfectly good body..one you plan to use for awhile longer? you wouldn't pour sugar into the gas tank of a car...same applies. make low carb snack choices, you'll run better.

5. Just because you drink a gallon of water a day...and a gallon of water weighs 8 pounds...you cannot deduct 8 pounds from the scale.
Jane
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 17:46

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there......

Looks like you have been having an interesting time of LCing! And lost weight to boot!

I noticed a few of your posts and went looking for your journal and didn't find one. I'd like to ask you to consider starting one. It's a place that the rest of us can come visit you and offer information and inspiration. And ask for help as well. I'm looking forward to you sharing some recipes.

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here!

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 18:33

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Carbavoidr - good post - great name
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 19:18
Registered Member

BF:
Default journal

M..tell me more about the journal. I am not a very interesting person and am not sure I am journal material. But what the heck, life is about growth. I started LC to lose weight, and when my DH went diabetic on me we switched him over and the difference is amazing. its really given me an entirely different outlook on food, and life. I am very interested in recipe developement and welcome all advice and ideas. I know I will learn a lot here, thanks for the welcome.
Jane
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 19:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default another share

I Forgot a real tip (sorry):
Learn what you can eat, it really makes a difference.
For instance, I know that one homemade oat flour biscuit and 1/2 cup of lc gravy ( for brevities sake just assume everything I make is low carb ) is 8 carbs.
I know I can have that once a weekish.

I know the cake I make has 5 carbs, and I know I can have a couple of servings a week.

anyway, you get the idea. once you develop some standard recipes for your treats and meals you can change flavors and textures without too much hassle and then you can focus on other things ""than if you had a mouthful too many of carbs and if you have "blown" it for the day then why not eat all you want and start over tomorrow.""

I did that little head number a bunch of times before I finally caught on.
thanks for listening,
Jane
PS check the Banana Bread recipe and tell me what you think
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 19:41

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Re: journal

Quote:
Originally posted by carbavoidr
M..tell me more about the journal.

If you go to the top of the page and click on the HOME button, it will take you to the home page.

About 2/3 of the way down the page, you will see My Journal/Bootcamp. Go to the section that's C-D (they are kept according to the first letter of your User name...in your case "C"arbavoidr). Just start a new thread there and call it whatever you'd like to call your journal. Mine's simply Marlaine's Journal but other forum members have been more creative.

When you post to your journal, you'll just keep using the Post Reply button and it will all be together in one thread!

Hope this helps.

Marlaine
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 13:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322/315/210
BF:
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up Good stuff!!!

I just wanted to thank you for your tips!

I wanted to also add a couple of my own. I've been LCing for a short time, but have found that WATER works. Last week I didn't have a very big loss, but this week I have vowed to drink my water and it has made a significant difference.

Also, I started eating 2 eggs in the afternoon. I make fried eggs or deviled eggs or egg salad. I think that eggs are the perfect food for this diet due to the fat/protien ratio.

Anyway, I would love to hear more helpful hints from other LCers.

Have a great day

-Shannon
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Shannonlee,

I have found (through blood glucose tests) that artifical sweeteners were releasing insulin, thus, I believe to be causing my stalls I keep having. If you can handle pricking your fingers, I would recommend buying an inexpensive glucose monitor and do your own tests.