Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 23:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/152/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Another Atkins reject - help!

Hi everyone.
I'm new to this board and have spent the past few hours reading threads about the Montignac diet and becoming a little more versed about what it entails. Sounds fascinating. Yesterday was the first time I'd heard about it.

Can you believe we don't have any Montignac books available here in Sydney, Oz???

I'd like to purchase the book through Amazon, but before I do I just wanted to know a little bit more about some details of the diet (have enough diet books at home I'm not using; don't want this to be another!)

I have the following questions:

1. I've noticed in some recipes posted that one can eat milk & yoghurt which was forbidden on the Atkins diet (which I've been trying to do but find too heavy). Is this true?

2. I read bread was allowed with MM, but what would one eat it with, considering one can't combine any protein with it. (If you are about to say jam, how is that possible, since (from what I've loosely gathered from this forum) fruits should be eaten by themselves, on an empty stomatch?

3. I've heard it described that this is easier than Atkins because there is no carb or calorie counting. Yet a lot of people seem to be very confused about this diet when they first start (i.e. GI and GL counts). Do we need to make a note of these things, or does working out these things become second nature once you start the diet?

Thanks very much for any help you can give me! Look forward to buying the book and starting the diet.
Shirls
P.S. We do have the Suzanne Somers' book here down under. Is it similar to MM? If so, I could use that and don't have to wait to order it through Amazon.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 00:00

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

Sommers is very similar to Montiganc - in my humble opinion, whe basically nicked the idea from montignac... of course she's tarted it up with a few fancy recipes...

If I were you, and as you live down under - you should check out New Glucose Revolution, as well - it is co written by a professor based in Sydney, I believe.

There are a few threads here that talk about the principles of Montiganc.

It is mainly the concept of what you eat effecting your blood sugar levels, and hence your insulin response. This is measured by Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL).

Re the bread - I would not recommend eating it on the weight loss phase of Montiganc.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 00:06

Plan: New Glucose Revolution (ex Montignacer!)
Stats: 155/125/120
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hey Shirls

Here are 2 links that you may or may not have seen - they have some useful info and resources.

Mendosa site

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94482
previous thread with GI / GL info

hope it helps
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 04:30
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Shirls -

Re the bread although montignac recommends limiting the bread to 1 slice in the weight loss phase - I have been having 2 to make a real sandwich. I get bran bread that is very high in fibre and made with only whole grains - I make a tomatoe sandwich.

About the jam - since the fruit is cooked that is an exception the eating fruit alone rule. He says cooked fruit is more easily disgested. So you can make a jammy type of mush by cooking fruit and mashing it - use a little fructose if you can get it . I don't use any as I find it tastes good without.

You can also use fat free cheese on the bread.

People on atkins are eating yogurt - but the full fat variety. Make sure you get the fat-free for montignac.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 16:51

BF:

Thanks for the info guys. I will check out the New Glucose Revolution here (but just wondering, is this NGR also for weight loss, or more to control diabetes, while the MM from what I've heard, is good for weight loss AND diabetes?)

Spang, I read the link you gave me to the Mendosa site (which I found VERY informative) and I'm really confused about one thing. It says it doesn't matter (at least not as much) HOW MANY carbs are in a meal, rather it matters more how quickly those carbs turn into sugar (i.e. good foods to eat are those with low GI levels.)

Does this mean we can eat AS MUCH AS WE LIKE of the food that is low in GI, because the GI doesn't change, or do we still have to worry about how many carbs to eat?

This all sounds really confusing to me. Has anyone else found it really confusing but after they started, got the hang of it?

Thanks very much. (By the way, this site is GREAT with full of really intellient, informed people. Any help would be so much appreciated. I'm actually more interested in this diet for my mother who is struggling BIG TIME to lose weight, and hardly lost anything on the Atkins diet for some reason. I'm wondering if this will work for her.)

Thanks again.
Shirls
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 17:38
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Shirls -

Don't worry we are all confused and yes it does seem to work itself out as you become more familiar with the plan. If you have read some of the other threads here you will see that a few of us are a bit dis-enchanted by Mr. Montignac himself - however we have faith in the plan.

I can't give you an expert answer on the question as to whether the actual amount eaten is of importance - personally I think it must although Montignac says to eat as much as you want. What I do find however is that since the fibre content of the diet is so high that you feel very full on what is actually a lot less food and because all the foods are high quality your nutrition needs are met.

I have had the experience when following montignac of accidently falling into ketosis - after a day when I had over 100 carbs. People following atkins seem to take 2-3 days to fall into ketosis when (I am assuming here) there diet has been full of "white carbs". I really believe that the quality of the carbs has a lot to do with this. Except for the food separations this Montignac plan is much like one I had followed for years - actually two plans - the F Plan and Dr. Rubenstiens Save Your Life High Fibre Diet. The F Plan was specifically for weight loss while the Dr. R's was more for general health and good colon health. The goals on both were for about 40grms of fibre per day.

My carbs on Montignac are at a low 80 and a high of about 140 then of course there is usually about 30-40 grams of fibre to subtract to figure the effective carbs.

In case you look at my journal please don't let it confuse you, I have been doing some "tweaking" and stopped posting my meals so as not to (further) confuse anyone attempting Montignac. You might not know that I have not been losing a lot of weight - but there are a few factors that must come into consideration - I am peri-menopausal and that messes everything up, I recently quit smoking - which is why I gained - I had been unable to exercise until recently whereas I had previously been very active.

In the end my calories and fat are much lower on Montiganc and I don't feel hungry at all. I think that what works for us is a very indivdual thing indeed. I know years ago I lost on low carb but It did not work for me this time - and I was very unhappy on it - I need my grains and legumes to be happy (the occasional tomatoe sandwich don't hurt either)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 17:55

BF:

Sorry Koko - thought you were a man until you mentioned "pre-menopausal" oops.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I wish my mother would "accidentally" fall into Ketosis. She's been trying for three weeks and her weight just wont budge!

Personally I want to do the diet more so to break my sugar addiction (and losing a few pounds here and there wont be so bad either)

Just wanted to ask - obviously MM is quite different to Atkins, in that you can't eat all the fat you want; you mentioned only having 2tbs of oil and reducing fat content (i.e. fat-free yoghurt) is of importance here. Does this also include olive oil? I always thought that was GOOD for you.

Koko, where is the link to your diet? I just need more suggestions as to what to eat for breakfast at carb time.

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated. S.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 18:30
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Shirls -

You thought I was a man that's funny I am so much a girl girl even tho an aging one (It's a big step for me to admit I amaging I tend to think I'm forever young even though at times the mirror insists on arguing with me.

If you want to see my diet you can click on the icon below my post that says journal - although as I've said I havent been posting my meals lately as I've been "tweaking" the plan a bit - I've been using more bread than montignac recommends but I have been working out pretty heavily.

For breakfast if you want to do strict montignac - these are good ideas - oatmeal, or allbran cereal (not bran-flakes but allbran) you can have berries and or skim milk or fat free yogurt with this in any combination you like. There is also an excellent recipe here for muselie - check the threads I am sure I made one just for the muselie recipe. A couple of times a week you can have the protein/lipid combination breakfast which is an atkins type meal of protein/fat - eggs and cheese with maybe some tomatoes or mushrooms - I would make an omlette and have lightly sauteed tomatoes and mushrooms with it - no toast.

The big thing is do not combine the higher GI's with fats.

I've never really had a big problem with sugar - I don't mean I never had it but it never created a binge situation with me I would once in a while eat way more than I should of a yummy dessert but it didn't addict me. The main problem I have with no sugar is that I sometimes feel nauseau for nor explained reason and in the past I have dealt with it by sucking on 1 or 2 hard candies - I can't do that now so we keep the car window open lot

As to the oil question, yes olive oil is good for you but Montignac although not technically low fat is somewhat restricted fat. You don't have to worry so much in the fat included in the protein you eat but the additions of fat used in cooking or dressings should be watched.

I'm still no expert and it is a really confusing pland - but I think if you stick with it you will find your way - if you understand the basics of nutrition (as if thats not confusing) and use common sense when a contradiction arises you should be ok

actually to see my journal click here - tho its more of a soap opera than a journal

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=85419

Last edited by KoKo : Wed, Apr-09-03 at 18:36.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 18:53

BF:

Koko - is that your garden that you linked to the bottom of your last message? Looks more like the Botannical Gardens!!! Very nice.

You mentioned eating all bran as a cereal in the morning. I don't know about the States, but over here I think our all-bran is full of SUGAR. If I do happen to find a bran cereal without sugar, our family is not like yours at all - we love our things sweet!! Is it possible to add splenda?

We have this other cereal called Vita Brits (it's made purely from whole wheat with some salt). Is that a good substitute for breakfast? (The dietary count is 12.8g per 100g.)
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 19:06
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Shirl

I think we are on at the same time right now i would have to say just read the label on the cereal. As for the sweetner - Montignac is against all exept sacchrine or Stevia - however I believe some people use other sweetners like splenda if they can't do without- I think that eventually your sweet tooth will fade if you lessen your exposure to the sweet taste.

Thanks about your thoughts on my garden - I just love gardening I reaarrange my plants like I re-arrange furniture (constantly!!!)

I'm going now to put another add on to the question you last posted re - quantities so check the other thread. Hang in this is confusing yes - but worth it - definitley
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 19:34
Stepford Malfunction

Hey Shirl

Just for you I am changing my avatar back so you will see I am not a man or a fat chicken LOL