Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-19, 00:34

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Ex-vegetarian: "We should be able to eat meat and do so ethically"

Quote:
From The Sunday Times
London, UK
21 July, 2019

Ex-vegetarian mum’s shooting list fed her family for a year: 125 pigeons, 80 pheasants and partridges, 40 ducks and four deer

In the past year Rachel Carrie has shot and cooked one roe, one fallow and two muntjac deer, about 80 pheasants and partridges, 40 ducks and more than 125 pigeons.

Trips to the meat counter are rare because her family eats only what they kill. Her teenage son has been eating game since the age of four.

Yet Carrie, 35, who was a vegetarian as a girl and says she is an animal lover who has nursed injured wildlife back to health, believes that vegetarians and vegans should regard her as an ally.

“Vegetarians and vegans, shooters and hunters need to be educated,” she says. “We are not the enemy. We have common ground.”

She will present her case next Sunday in a debate at The Game Fair, the country’s biggest gathering of hunters and shooters, at Hatfield House, Hertfordshire.

The real-life Barbara Good, fictional star of the 1970s’ sitcom The Good Life — in which Felicity Kendal and Richard Briers try to be self-sufficient in Surbiton, southwest London — has a middle-class lifestyle in a barn conversion in Yorkshire. She hunts to fill the fridge with the consent of farmers and other landowners.

Carrie said she became a vegetarian as a seven-year-old, and stuck with it for five years, because she was so upset to discover the realities of factory farming.

But she became conflicted when her father acquired a Harris’s hawk, a bird of prey that catches small mammals, insects and rodents, and took her out rabbiting. “I wouldn’t eat meat or shop-bought beef or chicken but I would quite happily sit and eat rabbit stew. I was quite at home with eating something where I had seen where it lived, if that makes sense.”

She said that when she went deer stalking “you place a clean shot straight through the heart and that animal never knew you were there. It didn’t suffer, it wasn’t scared. it didn’t get transported miles and miles to an abattoir.”

She argued that vegetarian lifestyles may unwittingly lead to the displacement or killing of wildlife.

“How many millions of acres of ecosystem get destroyed to grow their crops? How many millions of animals die from farmers protecting their crops?”

Carrie said she shared many of the objections to meat held by vegetarians. “By being a hunter you can still get the nutritional benefits of meat but without the guilt. You do not have the animal welfare issues.

“Nobody can be perfect so we have to make the most ethical choices we can. It should not be about pitting each other’s choices against each other. We should be able to eat meat and do so ethically.”

Carrie, whose job as an environmental impact assessor involves reducing food waste, said: “I can tell you, when you spend all day finding your food, the last thing you want to do is waste any of it.

“We like to pluck game as a family. This time spent preparing our food makes you appreciate it more: seeing the bird in its natural state is much better than seeing it wrapped in plastic cling film.”

Carrie, who will publish Game and Gatherings, a recipe book, in October, said: “There’s an abundance of game in the UK and it would be good to have more people eating it.”

But she insisted she was not trying to get other people to join her in hunting, “and I don’t want to turn a vegan into a meat eater”.

Nick Palmer, head of Compassion in World Farming UK, said: “We welcome this kind of contribution to the debate. We do feel that it is good if people eat less meat or no meat but if they are going to eat meat, let’s have it done on the basis that it is not wasted and not produced cruelly.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-deer-l8wbtfq7f
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-19, 07:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Where my mother lives, a large island where hunting is illegal....she is struggling to grow plants. She is an avid gardener. Back many years before, hunters were brought in the thin the herds. But that was over 50 years ago. My mother envies the back side of the island. No deer problem there. The locals there take deer to feed their families.

Hunting is an important tool as it maintains healthy numbers that the existing land, whats left, can support a well fed population. Starving to death due to overpopulation is a terrible way to go.

Raising my own meat animals has developed a great appreciation for the food on my table, and made prayers of thanks far more meaningful, as my prayers thank the animal as well.