Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-17, 05:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%
Unhappy Trying to do this the long term way

I'm sorry if this is a weird question! 4 years ago, I struggled with a bout of undereating and food fears that messed me up for a few years. Then I slid into overeating sweets.

So now, in an attempt to be both free from junk and food fears, I'm going to try to be more proactive about asking questions and staying on the right track.

I've been low carbing for a week, and I've been uninterested in food since Day 2. And it feels SO GOOD! But chasing this feeling led me into trouble in the past. On the other hand, I haven't been feeling well, which is probably contributing to my lack of appetite.

Finally, here's the question. Should I be trying to eat more healthy food/fat despite not being hungry? Today I've had a bowl of clear soup, a sugar-free yogurt, and coffee with a tablespoon of cream.

Now that I typed that, I'm kind of in tears. I didn't realize that was all I'd eaten. I thought it was more. I don't want to slip back, but I can't be a prisoner to carbs, either.

I hate this, but I'm going to post it because I can't go back to either extreme.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-17, 08:17

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I so understand what you are saying about obsession with food. It's always a risk when you diet, even successfully. I find myself stepping on the scale several times a day. And that can lead to making food choices that aren't smart.

You may be having a touch of low carb flu, which is why you may not be feeling well at the moment. This does pass. I'm wondering about the yogurt you ate. For starting low-carb, yogurt is usually not one of the food choices, and only if it is whole milk,

Can you make a list of other foods that are low-carb, and that you like? I find that eggs, nuts, bits of salami, salads with all of oil, and cheese, are all appealing foods that I can easily eat in small quantities.

It sounds like your situation is a little complex, so I hope you get lots of responses here, and that you continue the conversation. I think one of the keys to this way of life is simply focusing on eating the most delicious foods you can. The weight will come off. But it is challenging to adapt to a new kind of mindset. I'm still finding that to be true, even after 11 months.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-17, 09:54

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrygirl

Finally, here's the question. Should I be trying to eat more healthy food/fat despite not being hungry? Today I've had a bowl of clear soup, a sugar-free yogurt, and coffee with a tablespoon of cream.

Now that I typed that, I'm kind of in tears. I didn't realize that was all I'd eaten. I thought it was more. I don't want to slip back, but I can't be a prisoner to carbs, either.

I hate this, but I'm going to post it because I can't go back to either extreme.

No, broadly, you should not be worried about eating too little if you are not hungry. Part of the reason LC works so well is that it reduces appetite and you are satisfied with less hunger. Part of how that works is that insulin levels are reduced so that your body can access stored body fat for fuel, instead of needing to eat regularly.

HOWEVER, it sounds like you are concerned about past disordered eating and you are afraid of slipping into it again. That should give you concern. Recognizing a problem is the first step in solving it. Recognizing a potential problem is even better.

Perhaps (because of your personal history) you need to take a more moderate approach. Lay out on paper what you are going to eat every day - make sure you are getting whatever level of carbs you set for yourself (20 g, 50 g, whatever) and a minimum but sufficient amount of protein (60-80 grams per day is a good level for most women). Eat that minimum amount of food along with enough fat to keep you satiated (listen to your body). I would not shoot for any particular level of fat or any special % of macros because once you are fully fat adapted, your body can draw from your fat reserves to give itself all the fuel you need (until you reach goal).

Just concentrate on getting some protein each day and enough LC vegetables to give you vitamins and minerals, electrolytes. Make sure you are getting enough salt. Then let your body tell you how much fat to eat.

All the best to you. It's a very good sign that you recognize the potential for disordered eating and are trying to address it from the start.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-17, 11:23

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yes, with your history, I would eat regularly even if not hungry.

My family has eating disorders up the wazoo and I think of it a little differently. Our bodies are very, very good at flipping into the hunger high, so much so that we do not get bad signals of hunger like other people do. Result, not eating enough.

In our family we have had anorexics, and bulimics (both purging and non-purging). Everyone reports easily going without food.
What eludes us is keeping up with steady good food without having excess restriction (which ends up hurting us long-term).

So I'd do what Liz53 said, except I would be careful to YES include target amounts of protein, carb, and fat, because it's too easy to undereat if we just "go natural. "
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 05:03

BF:

Thank you, thank you andante, Liz53, and Seejay. It's really good to hear from others with similar experiences. I'm slowly making plans now, and it's helping. I would really like to be free from the trap of eating too much or too little...maybe I'll get there someday!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 11:47

BF:

Yay! I sure hope you can. We have! as soon as we learned to pay attention and eat on time! (my family I mean)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-17, 09:09

I'm glad to hear your planning is helping. All the best to you.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-17, 12:34

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Hi Liz,
Have you considered talking to someone professional about your relationship with food (both the feelings of helplessness/loss of control and overly fixated/rigid)?
Obviously both are bad for you, and rarely (if ever) about the food. A therapist might help you figure out what is really going on, which will allow you to stay low carb, healthy, and most importantly not "afraid" of food either.

Hope you are doing ok today.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-17, 13:12

BF:

95% of it CAN be the food - malnutrition and lack of nutrients combined with drug-like affects of drug-like food. And yes, feelings of helplessness/loss of control can be caused by drug foods like sugar. For me and my loved ones, 95% of it is the food first.

On the other hand, it's both behavioral and physical because one has to pick up the right food right?

Once the nutrition is there, I agree that psych professionals can help. AFTER the food is good.

But like when my DD was in the hospital for anorexia. The 1st two weeks, no therapy. Just nutrition because their bodies and heads are dysfunctional.

This applies to people not in the hospital too, IMNSHO.

Last edited by Seejay : Tue, Mar-07-17 at 13:22.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 06:09

BF:

Well, things seem to be going nicely now. After that initial rough start, I think I've fallen into a pretty good balance. Breakfast is simple, lunch is whatever I can make work out of the school lunch, and then I make a nice dinner with veggies/protein/fat when I get home. And there's space for a treat if I want one. Last night, I had decaf coffee with cream. This evening, I had a bite of an almond loaf thing. And it was satisfying.

I've worked with a dietitian in the past who was really helpful, but not at all a fan of low carb. I think what I need to do is try to tie together some of the eating practices we did with healthy low carb foods.

Overall, I'm feeling positive about the future with low carb. It's not easy, and I know not everything can or will be perfect, but I'm ready to move forward.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 15:22

BF:

Very cool. Thanks for the update!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 08:54

It's too bad that support is not more widespread, but it sounds like you have put together a great plan for YOU. Keep us posted how it's going.