Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 10:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Protein requirements

As you lose weight, do you change the amount of protein you eat? When I started PPLP, I needed to eat 46 grams, now, according to the charts, I should eat 40 grams. Did you change the protein as you lost weight?

Does anyone have trouble eating all of the protein? I never used to, I could eat more! Since restarting a zillion times, I just don't feel like eating anything.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 11:08

Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Protein requirements do change as you lose weight, but not often I have the same level from 293 (where I am now) until 210, and the next drop is at 145.

There is a difference in the requirements from the PP book to the PPLP book. I was supposed to do 4 ounces at each meal in PP and it's up to 6 ounces in PPLP, which I've never understood. And yes, I get tired of that much protein! Sometimes I "cheat" and have mushroom soup for a meal, or vegetables with cheese.

I also have a question about protein. I've read that too much protein -- more than the body needs -- gets turned into fat in the same way that carbohydrates do. Do the Eades have a position on that?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 11:39
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Yes, the Eades have a position and theirs is that no, it doesn't turn to fat. It is not converted to glucose UNLESS you are a diabetic. You can go to the Eades blogs on www.proteinpower.com and read Dr. Mkie's comments about it. He posted on this topic a few months ago.

As far as the protein requirement, your body has one. If you fail to meet it then it burns your muscles to get the amino acids it needs for cellular repair. That means that heart, liver, spleen, lung and stomach muscles are all fair game.

I'm not diabetic, and I'd rather have a little excess even though I *do* make an effort to eat that much. I also find that solves the hunger issues I experienced on Atkins when I ate too little protein.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 11:59

BF:

Thanks for that link, and your answer, LessLiz (love your name! and your title ) It clarifies things beautifully.

I agree that eating adequate protein helps a lot with hunger. I just have trouble eating 3 eggs and 3 slices of bacon (or the equivalent) early in the morning. (Nothing against eggs. I can eat them every day. I've settled on 2 hard boiled eggs and then a chicken leg or two a couple of hours later.)
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 12:44
Registered Member

I eat less protein at breakfast and make up for it later on. I just can't eat that much in the morning. (That was one of my first questions -- do you guys really eat this much protein for breakfast.)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 13:05
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Yes, the Eades have a position and theirs is that no, it doesn't turn to fat. It is not converted to glucose UNLESS you are a diabetic.

I'm not sure if he's right though. It only becomes on issue for diabetics on induction-level carbs. On higher carbs, we don't even count protein when taking insulin. It has almost no effect.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 16:33
Registered Member

I don't know if he's right or not, either. In general, I don't worry about getting too much protein since I have a hard time reaching "enough."
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 16:55

BF:

I'm much too strict about these things, I fear (or think I must be strict about these things. I am, of course, excessively imperfect.) I have actually been agonizing over whether to go back to Protein Power or just try to keep carbs under 60 grams, or under 40 grams, because "It says you have to have 6 ounces of protein at every meal."

It sounds as though if one AIMS for the goal, that's okay.

I did PPLP six years ago when I first came to these forums -- imperfectly, of course -- and lost about 30 pounds before falling back into bad habits.

Laura, I hope some of this is helpful in answering your original query.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 19:07

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto
I'm much too strict about these things, I fear (or think I must be strict about these things. I am, of course, excessively imperfect.) I have actually been agonizing over whether to go back to Protein Power or just try to keep carbs under 60 grams, or under 40 grams, because "It says you have to have 6 ounces of protein at every meal."
Well, from my reading of PP/PPLP, you ARE being too strict. I have often described PP/PPLP as giving you the "principles" of eating for good health, BUT not the details (as in Atkins). Your having to eat some amount of protein is just a little off the mark. What the Drs. Eades mean when they say that you have to eat some minimum amount of protein is, when you eat less than that amount you will not supply enough for your daily needs and the body will get the protein from itself. Actually, IF (intermittent fasting) is intended to do this. The "protein scavenging" actually helps by removing "junk" (unusable) protein in the cells, something that increases aging.

It is hard for a normal person to "starve" themselves of protein because at some point the body will rebel. (We are assuming that the person is NOT in a Kimkins like cult. ) Then you will eat to meet your protein needs. But, you could also look at it this way. A 300lb. person of 40% body fat has 120lb. of fat and 180lb. of bone, organs, and muscle. If their goal weight is 150lbs., even at 0% fat, they MUST loose some muscle to attain the goal weight. So not eating the "required" daily amount of protein every day probably is OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto
I did PPLP six years ago when I first came to these forums -- imperfectly, of course
But that is just NOT right to say about PP/PPLP, which is not a rigid plan. There are no absolutes in PP/PPLP, just consequences for what you eat. PP/PPLP gives you the means to asses the consequences before hand so you can better decide if you want to eat some specific food.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-08, 19:22

BF:

Thank you, Larry. That makes sense, and is very reassuring.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 17:45

Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:
Progress: 62%

Thank you everyone.