Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-08, 22:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%
Default possibly switching from atkins but have questions

If you formerly followed atkins and have switched, how did you do with the change. did you lose weight? Is it easier to follow or harder.

Would appreciate any input.

PIano
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 00:58
Registered Member

Plan: PP, Atkins
Stats: 186/160/120 Female 60 Inches
BF:
Progress: 39%

If you don't mind my asking, why would you switch?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I've had to switch from Atkins to a more PP-type program twice now. Both times appeared to be as a result of eating too much protein for my body on Atkins and I stopped short of where I really wanted to be. The first time I was also watching fat (from my pre-set notions, and a misunderstanding of the wording in PP) and I did lose the weight, but dealt with a lot of hunger and cravings. This time I dropped the protein to my minimum, but still kept my fats high, very high, in fact, and I'm losing again. No hunger this time. I do keep my carbs lower than PP, however, at 20 g total carbs per day.

I also found out that I don't lose on 30 grams NET carbs from any source any more (I used to when I was younger, but not this time), but I can still lose on 20 grams TOTAL carbs from most any source. (Usually about 12-15 grams net carbs.)

So, in a nutshell, I've switched from a traditional Atkins plan, to closer to a PP plan, twice now, in a 10 year period. Although even PP requires tweaks for me (more fat, lower carb) to work for weight loss and to control my appetite.

You can just make the switch overnight, so to speak. Just start following the PP--PPLP rules, as written, no tweaks, and see how you do.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I switched, and my weight loss restarted. I was undereating protein by 20 - 30% on Atkins and after making the change my overall caloric intake dropped and my fat intake dropped. I didn't try to decrease either the fat or the calories, that happened on its own when I increased the protein.

I eat 100 - 110 g protein on average (the PPLP chart calls for 102g with my stats). I have to pay attention to what I am eating to meet that level.

The carb content of my diet increased to an average of 35g net per day, but I was still in ketosis. The biggest change was where I got my carbs from -- peaches, yogurt, winter squashes, melons, some carbier veggies (in small portions) came back into my menus. I experienced no cravings from this. I am currently doing PPLP maintenance, and I occasionally have some sweet potato or a pear. Again, no cravings.

I do want to point out since I said my fat levels decreased that this is not something one has to do, nor is it something that happens for everyone. Deirdra does PP and her fat intake is high. PP is *not* low fat.

I recommend you give it a try and see how you like it. You might be happier on PP, you might find you prefer Atkins, or you might find you prefer a blend -- PP levels of protein, Atkins Induction levels of carbs, with the type of carbs not being restricted to Induction or OWL rung choices.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 10:15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
or you might find you prefer a blend -- PP levels of protein, Atkins Induction levels of carbs, with the type of carbs not being restricted to Induction or OWL rung choices.

This is my plan, in a nutshell! (With the addition of unlimited fat--even to the point of adding fat where it probably wouldn't normally be added, and higher amounts than would be expected on things where it normally would be added. For example, topping protein with butter, and using about twice the amount of fat on my salads and veggies as would be expected.)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 13:57

The reason I am switching is because I think my carb level is too low - I am too tired. PP makes sense to me. I probably need to increase my protein and even out my carbs through out the day. I would really like to be able to add fruits to the list of foods I eat since I have to force myself to eat vegetables.

So Elle it looks like you are mixing Atkins and PP. I may need to do that too. What is your minimum protein level and what do you usually do?

Thanks, Piano
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 12:00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano
The reason I am switching is because I think my carb level is too low - I am too tired. PP makes sense to me. I probably need to increase my protein and even out my carbs through out the day. I would really like to be able to add fruits to the list of foods I eat since I have to force myself to eat vegetables.

So Elle it looks like you are mixing Atkins and PP. I may need to do that too. What is your minimum protein level and what do you usually do?

Thanks, Piano

PP is great for those who have trouble getting enough protein in, b/c it tells you exactly how much you need as a minimum. It's also great for those of us who tend to go hog-wild on protein, reminding us that that is really how much we "need." It's a great program all around.

It depends on which book you read for my minimum. The very old PP, gives my current need based on 100 pounds of LBM and inactive lifestyle at 50 grams per day, PPLP gives it as 81 grams per day. 60 grams is my personal floor for protein (meaning I won't go any lower than 60 grams), and I usually eat 60-65 grams on any given day and on a hungry day, I might go as high as 100 or even 125 grams. That seems to happen about once a week.

Either way, I would encourage you to go with whichever plan you choose as written for a while, and see how you do. My tweaks came about long into the program, after I had already lost a lot of weight, but had stopped about 10 pounds from where I wanted to be. I never encourage people start making their own rules and/or mixing plans until they've given their chosen plan plenty of time to work its magic. But I see you've been at this for a while, so you probably know your body pretty well!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 15:18
Registered Member

Stats: 166/162/146 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I switched from Atkins because I was just not losing weight and I felt naseaus (sp?) from all the fat. I am still not losing that much weight although the scale did budge, my shape is changing my waist has definitely gone down. I am enjoying PP more then Atkins - good luck.
Tammy
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 19:52

Thanks for all your help. Today was my first day trying PP. If I read the charts right I am supposed to have 77 g minimum protein. Today I had 85 grams. I had 8-10 carbs per meal. No snacks.

Yes Elle, I've been at this for a while. I am insulin resistant so any pound taken off of me is a miracle. When I go too low carb then I get really tired. Today I felt really good with my carbs being balanced throughout the day. I am staying as close as possible throughout the week before I do any tweaking.

Thanks, Piano
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-22-08, 10:29

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano

Thanks, Piano

I'm also thinking of doing PP because I'm so tired all the time. I had to add veggies and I feel better and at this level, it appears I'm doing something that already resembles PP, so I think I'll officially make the switch soon.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 12:23

Plan: GLC
Stats: 145/139/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 30%

Where are you all finding this chart?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Hi Jess -- Protein Power LifePlan is the book and the chart is in it.