Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 12:42
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 274/238/150
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Symptoms without Postive Test Results?

I've been PCOS since 18 (I'm 27) and I've heard it's inherited from a family member. Well my mom NEVER had any problems with getting pregnant and her periods were regular but she did always pass clots. She is now growing facial hair, has skin tags, and was insulin resistant and got type 11 diabetes in her 40's. Her Dr. tested her and said her hormone levels look normal. Can this be? Is there other reasons for hair growth, skin tags, and insulin problems? Should she ask for specific blood tests to be run?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 11:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 272/241/150
BF:
Progress: 25%

I am 29 and have classic textbook pcos symptoms - for 10 years had no periods, and for last 3 years have had heavy bleeding. Plus have glucose intolerance, overweight, acne, dandruff, prone to depression, facial hair (don't I sound glamorous???). finally went to the doctor - had an ultrasound done that revealed polycycstic ovaries - but all my blood tests came back normal! I found this surprising as well, since I have many symptoms of excess androgens (male-like hormones). Go figure. The more I read about pcos, the more I discover that nobody fits into a neat little mold - thats why its so hard to diagnose.

I have used progesterone cream in the past, but I usually have to "jumpstart" my cycle using BCP. Now I'm trying provera instead. Since I started low-carbing, I have lost weight, feel great, and my cycle is starting to slowly stabilize -look forward to getting off the pills and just using natural cream instead. I truly believe this is the BEST WOL for someone with pcos - and even if your mom doesn't have pcos, low carb would be GREAT for her because she's diabetic.

BTW - along with her other symptoms, is your mom having any problems with menses? that may be even greater indication that pcos is at work.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 16:31
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 274/238/150
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default RhaChaCha

RhaChaCha ,
First thanks for replying! My mom had a hysterrectomy(sp?) when I was 10 but I know that PCOS doesn't go away when your female organs do. So all we have to go by are the tests. It's a real bummer trying to explain that even though the tests say she's alright, that I still think she may have it!! She is going to go on the insulin resistance diet as soon as her kidney and liver tests come back
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 00:44

Plan: basic
Stats: 270/270/140
BF:?
Progress: 0%

Hello
I am new here. I think I have pcos. I have a lot of the symptoms. I pass blood clots the 2nd day of my period. Facial hair, skin tags, moodiness etc. What can you do about it tho? I have not been to the doctor because my husband's insurance sucks. I have gained a lot of weight especially the past couple of years. I am 5' 2 270 pounds. Borderline high blood pressure. Thinking about going on the Atkins low carb diet. Debbie