Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 23:47
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 186/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Question is it impossible to lose?

I have been recently diagnosed with PCOS.....and after reading message boards I have found alot of support, yet I have also been feeling a bit discouraged!! I have seen several posts saying it is near impossible to lose weight.....despite all good efforts. Is it true that women with PCOS have THAT much more difficult time losing weight???? Are my efforts going to pale in comparison to those of a non-pcos woman? Don't get me wrong, I am low carbing.....taking my Provera.....exercising.........weight training............BUT am I just beating myself up for little result? So far, I have seen little reward for these efforts.....

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed! I am usually not negative, but I am just afraid that my efforts are going to leave me discouraged due to no real results!

I would love some input!!!!!

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 07:18

Plan: protein power
Stats: 149/142/132
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Be encouraged

Hi Tams! Welcome to the board! Be encouraged! Most PCOS women I know have found low-carbing a life-saver. Not only do they lose weight but many of their other symptoms are lessened or even completely eliminated. I personally have found that low-carbing alone (no medications) has completely contolled my PCOS. Others are not so fortunate, BUT they have found that meds combined with low-carbing have greatly helped them.

I was diagnosed 5 years ago now and my MD basically said "you just have to live with it". I don't think meds (like metformin) were a common treatment back then. Well, I stumbled into low-carbing "by accident". I had no idea it would help my PCOS, I just wanted to lose weight. Not only did I very easily lose weight, but most of my others symptoms went away! My acne went away, I started having regular and normal menstrual periods, my hirsutism stopped progressing,etc! Most PCOSers have high levels of insulin - and a low-carb diet brings insulin levels under control.

I originally lost 20 pounds and have kept it off. Since then I have followed low-carb in "maintenance". But I have recently dropped back into stricter low-carb to try and lose some more weight.

I wish you success! LauraLynn
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 15:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%

Tam,

Sometimes, there are more posts from people who are frustrated and need a lot of input and support than there are from success stories. Please don't be discouraged. I also have pcos, take metformin and yasmin (hormones), and watched my weight pile on for a few years. But I am losing weight; and losing it at a great rate! So follow your plan to a tee, watch all your intake by using fitday.com, and have faith. Your body may need a little time to adjust itself, so be patient as well. I am proof positive there is hope. Happy LCing!

Betsy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-02, 09:04
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 274/238/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

I also ran across low carbing by accident but found stories of people with PCOS and Hypothyroidism losing weight with it. I started crying when I read the information. I've had PCOS and hypothyroidism for 7 years and would work out 6-7 days a week and eat around 300-500 cal. a day without being able to lose much weight. Needless to say this gave me hope! I started with a nutritionist in April and lost 35lbs but stopped losing. I read CAD (The Carbohydrate Addicts Diet book) and found that for people with insuline resistance you have to save your high carbs for once a day. It's starting to make a difference. I'm soooo glad to find LC and this forum, I was on my way to being anorexic to try to lose some kind of weight when I feel I've been saved!!! So there IS light at the end of the tunnel!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 10:05

Plan: the zone
Stats: 130/140/130
BF:
Progress:

harpseal,

can you please explain the "save my carbs for one meal a day" as i have not read the book. also, does anyone out there know or feel that if i have ONE meal a month with high carbs, will it prevent my from ever improving my symptoms (ie. having a regular AF)? i am curious as i have been low-carbing for the past month, but last night i wanted to enjoy and have some pizza. i have not cheated at all before then, but i thought if i could have 1 meal per month of total enjoyment, it would be much easier for me to keep this WAL forever. what does everyone else think? just curious. am i seriously setting myself back 10 steps by doing this or thinking this way?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-02, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 274/238/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Well I've actually come across a better book for those of us with insulin resistance called "The Insulin Resistance Diet". I would recommend getting that and reading it. My mom said a friend of hers lost 10lbs in six days using it and since it's specifically for insulin resistance I'd say it would be a good shot!

Happy LCbing!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 08:42

Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Reply to Ange

Ange: In your post, you asked:

Quote:
can you please explain the "save my carbs for one meal a day" as i have not read the book.

I believe the plan you are inquiring about is the Carbohydrate Addicts which was written by the Dr.s Eades, I believe.

The idea is to eat little to no carbs throughout the day and have one reward meal, preferrably at dinner that may contain carbs. Even dessert. The only catch is that it must be eten within one hour so as not to trigger an overpouring of insulin within your body.

This sounds great, however I must warn you that many people find that the carbs consumed in the reward meal trigger strong cravings for more carbs during other times during the day. This may cause a backslide for some people. Hope this helps.

-Beth
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 04:41
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%

harpseal and all,
i am alittle confused. i have Sugar Busters, and Insulin Resist. Diet, among others. with sugarbusters, you try to stay away from white potatoes, and corn, etc, but with the ISR diet, you can have all this stuff, if you "link" it with an equal amount of protein.?? is this really true, or do you think it depends on the individual. ?
i think i need a stricter diet than this, maybe after you lose all your weight, you could use this as maintanence. i know linking would be healthier, and an easier way to get all your nutrients, but it looks too leniet for me. what does everyone think?
paige17257
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 14:59

Stats: 286/253/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Re: is it impossible to lose?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tams531
I have been recently diagnosed with PCOS.....and after reading message boards I have found alot of support, yet I have also been feeling a bit discouraged!! I have seen several posts saying it is near impossible to lose weight.....despite all good efforts. Is it true that women with PCOS have THAT much more difficult time losing weight???? Are my efforts going to pale in comparison to those of a non-pcos woman? Don't get me wrong, I am low carbing.....taking my Provera.....exercising.........weight training............BUT am I just beating myself up for little result? So far, I have seen little reward for these efforts.....

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed! I am usually not negative, but I am just afraid that my efforts are going to leave me discouraged due to no real results!

Thanks in advance...

Hi Tams

Let me tell you this - when i read this I couldn't stop nodding my head! We are in the same boat, and it is good to know there is someone out there with the same doubts and concerns as myself! Thank you for asking these questions! Discouraged - that's me in a nutshell!! And it's ONLY BEEN A WEEK!!
I have no patience for dieting... I want to see results NOW.. and if I don't then I tend to completely lose sight of the point of going through the torture.

I have never had success on any diet, and this is my first time to try low-carbing. I am also exercising reguarly, which is something that I have never really done. and the way i feel about it :THIS BETTER WORK, OR ELSE!!!! Or else what? or else I'll give up and bake a pan of brownies and eat the whole thing!! AND LIKE THEM!!

So, let's hope, for my sake - and yours, that it works!! and that we see results! If i could just get a few pounds off it would be enough to keep me going...

We'll see where i'm at in another week.

Best of luck to you! I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!!

Feel free to email me anytime at banky216~yahoo.com

-Mel
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 16:15

Plan: the zone
Stats: 130/140/130
BF:
Progress:

i thought that since the board is going in a slightly NEGATIVE way, i would write all my POSITIVE experiences with weight loss.

i am 32 years old and have struggled with my weight all my life. about 10 years ago, i lost 30 lbs and have managed to keep 20 of it off throughout the years (i always went up and down 10 lbs). this past year, i gained back quite a bit (about 12 lbs) and over the past 3 months i have been doing a lot of reading about low-carbing. the diet that i have been following that always did and does wonders for me is the zone diet. i weigh my food and measure everything. since july 2nd i have lost 10 lbs and i feel great. i am now starting to eat more and not measure my servings. i eat a lot more protein than carbs and i also enjoy my dessert. i found this amazing low-carb chocolate bar and i have one everyday. it only has 3.2 carbs per serving.

do not give up hope. yes, changing what and how you eat is hard, but always keep you end result in mind....weight loss, healthier, etc.

try different diets. everyone is different and made up differently. the is no 1 diet works for all. i have tried many over the years and i find that the zone is amazing. remember you can always alter them slightly to fit your needs. i do it all the time.

good luck and remember to keep your spirits up.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 11:48

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

For me, I have to focus on my health, the weight loss with come. Focus on the good things how you feel, what is changing. Slow weight loss is better in the long run, (I have to tell myself that all the time). It can be frustrating but the little steps are the important one, part of the syndrome being slow is that there are so many hormonal systems out of balance and they all have the be fixed.
I have lost 27 lbs in about 1 year and 1/2. That is slow by most standards, but I work out hard (lift weights with the firm, and walk), and have gradually focused on other things to change. I know what hasn't worked before and if slow going is the pace it will be I will have to learn to live with it because what is the alternative? Don't give up, keep on going and remember what your real goal is.
Tanya
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 20:36
Registered Member

Stats: 225/154/125
BF:
Progress: 71%
Smile

Hi, Tams

I was diagnosed with pcod--now known as pcos--10 years ago, just after my son was born. I kept gaining and gaining weight. I have been on provera and diane 35, which didn't work anyway so why waste my money. My doctor and two so called specailists have said losing weight will help control it. I said, "Great! Tell me how to do that and I'll be on my way." I was told, "I know it's hard, but you just have to do it." That was the end of the help I received.

I needed to lose almost 100 lbs. I've finally managed to lose 46 pounds, but need to eat more than dry toast and grapefruit for breakfast, no lunch and salad every night.

I am going to give Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution a try and see how that goes.

Good luck to you and please keep me posted of your progress. It's nice to know I'm not alone.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 19:03
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 186/152/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Hiz Baby!

I am so glad you are going to give Atkins a go! It is so easy to do, and has made a world of difference for me physically, mentally, and emotionally. I am never hungry, I am eating foods that truly satisfy my body's needs. My emotions are so much more stable now that I am eating regularly and not depriving myself! My hormones seem so much more in balance on this way of eating...........mentally my life has improved because I do not feel like a constant failure! From the moment I started this diet, I have steadily gone down..........none of the yo-yo that the low-fat diet brought me!
I hope you give this a go, i promise you, just stick with it for two weeks and you will be raving about this way of life! You will feel better, look better, be less tired and irritable, and overall just feel like you are in control!
I once was a BIG skeptic, but now I am a whole-hearted believer! I will never go back to low fat/starving myself again!
Good luck to you!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-04-02, 12:41

Plan: Modified diabetic diet
Stats: 245/223/155
BF:31%
Progress: 24%
Default Re: is it impossible to lose?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tams531

Thanks in advance...

wow I can tell you I read this and went 'yup'! This is how I've been feeling in the last week I've been working SO hard, and seeing on average a 1lb loss/week. Ok, now I KNOW that 1lb a week is still great, but somehow I wanted more. I wanted the 2lb/week 'healthy rate' that everyone else seems to get. I felt that if a "normal" person worked as hard as I did and was as 'good' as I was - they would have lost almost twice as much as I have by now! Well the truth is that I'm not normal, sorry but having PCOS means I don't have a 'normal' or even 'average' metabolism. I just have to accept that while some people might put in half the work I have and lose 2 lbs a week - I can't.
However, not to be completely negative! I do have to focus on the fact that I AM losing. In fact I've lost 17 lbs so far! Boy it hasn't been easy by ANY stretch of anyone's imagination. I've been working HARD. But that's what I have to do if I want to get to a point where my body is healthy and my fertility improves.
And I AM getting there, my pants are getting loser, my inches are going down, albeit VERY SLOWLY.

And so far I haven't been doing a drastic low carb diet - just changes in the types of carbs/sugar I'm eating and a slight reduction in the total overall amount that I eat. That leads me to believe that there might (just might) be some wiggle room to up my weightloss rate by reducing my carbs even more.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this, yeah I think PCOSers really do have that much more trouble than 'regular' people, but I don't think it's impossible. Just painfully and frustratingly slow!! I wish it could be faster... even just one more lb a week faster - but I'm coming to terms with the fact that I can only do as much as I can, and I'm doing my best that I can do at this stage in the game. I just have to keep pushing myself to keep going - and focus on other things other than the scale - like how much more energy I have, how I'm feeling, the self confidence and positive outlook that come from knowing I'm doing something to be fit. I'm doing something to improve my fertility, in fact, I'm doing everything right. It's hard for me to let go of wanting that 2 lb loss a week rate - but I'm trying.

I hope in some small way it helps you to know that there are other people out there feeling just as frustrated! Just don't give up, everything you're doing is not futile! It is helping you in one way or another, you just might not see it in the scale!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 20:21

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I sure can relate here. I just try to add up the numbers, one pound a week would be 4 pounds in a month and about 48 pounds in a year. Wouldn't that be great.
Silkenluck, I started low carbing a bit on my own before I found a program that fit what I was looking for, namely real food, no protein shakes or bars, ( I feel like I should be able to get what I need with real food. ) so you are doing great. Keep up the good work and positive thinking.
Tanya