Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-13, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/235.4/170 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello TDC

I completed my two weeks of induction and am doing another 1-2 weeks of induction right now. I have a huge craving for sweets right now but keeping that in check with lots of fat and chia seed pudding.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: Keto Diet LCHF
Stats: 378/296/210 Male 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 49%

If this was facebook I would hit the like button!
  #153   ^
Old Sun, May-18-14, 22:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/213/160 Female 5' (152.4 cm)
BF:
Progress: 0%

Excellent post, Scott! Thanks for the words of encouragement and what a great post for all new members like myself!
  #154   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-14, 14:27

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default I'm new to the TDC

Hello all. I'm fairly new to the forum am new to this TDC group...in fact I just found you. I began my low carb journey in January 2014 and have lost 40 pounds so far.....its taken me almost a year to lose 40 pounds. I began at 276 and my goal is 150....so I have 77 more pounds to go. My goal should probably be 125, but I'm taking it in baby steps. If I make it to 150 I'll be thrilled If I make it to 125 I'll be elated

I have been trying to follow the new Atkins (aka Dr. Westman), and have found it to work pretty well for me. I have the most trouble getting in veggies during the week when I work - other than lettuce in salads. I am down one pant size and feel much better. My feet and knees are appreciating the loss and will be happy with more. Thanks for being here and keep the encouraging posts coming. I find it very inspiring to read about those of you who have lost great amounts of weight. I want to join you some day and be able to say I lost over 100 pounds!
  #155   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-15, 10:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/247/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Some of us have been around this place for years. Every January, we see the an influx of people who make a post, start a journal, post menu's, join discussions -- and then drop out of sight.

I'm here to tell you that if you let it, this place can be of enormous help on your journey. If you use its resources and community, it will be more helpful to you than you could ever imagine. I think this is partly because obese people like me tend to want community. There are things we need to say that we can't say much of anywhere else. There are discussions we need to have that a person half our size has no way to empathize with. We like to talk about these issues with people who are facing them, not with people who cannot fathom why we just don't "eat less, move more."

You can vent here, especially in TDC, to people who have walked a mile in your shoes. You don't have to explain to them the fear of humiliation when you want to sit in a folding chair, but are afraid to. When I began, I found it to be one of the most cathartic things I have ever done. For me, these were discussions that I couldn't or wouldn't have in person.

That's not to say this ought to be a "woe is me" whine center. It is also a way to help make yourself accountable. Talk about what you have done and why. I loathe to change my weight up, when I backslide, but I do it. I somehow feel accountable to the others here when I fail. That is a good thing. This place is not good just for cathartic discussion and accountability, it's good for victory celebrations and congratulations.

I recommend a journal. I don't update mine daily anymore, but for the first year or so I was here, that was my crutch and my source of strength. It helped me hash out an understanding of my state of thought when I was much fatter, and how I got to be that way. That is self-discovery worth doing.

It is also extremely good place for information. Read the Media & Discussions area. There are some extremely sharp people who can break down the latest study to help you understand why foods or diet react certain ways. If you want to know more about the metabolic reason you got fat (and you should) then that is invaluable. I'm not scientific, but I can follow it the way some of our fellow members here explain it.

As a guy, I never was much interested in cooking. I didn't know beyond some very basics how to cook anything that I couldn't grill. If you think about it, investing the time to learn to cook can also make this thing work for you. Food is a vital piece of life and food really needs to occupy part of your time and creativity if you really plan to succeed.

Finally, my biggest piece of advice is that you should find a guiding principle to what you are doing and why. My first was that I was doing this so I could be a better father. But that wasn't true. It was something I needed to do for me, so I could live longer, be healthier, and enjoy life better. Those things let me be a better father. But this belongs to me, not my girl. It wasn't fair to project that on her. If you project it onto someone else, or some extrenal thing, I think you will fail. It has to be for you.

My guiding principle is that life as a fat person is the hardest thing I've ever done. I didn't realize how hard it was until I lost a lot of weight. It is much harder than sticking to any way of eating. So that has been my guideline, when I want to stray. I know how hard it is sometimes to pass up certain foods. But I also know how hellishly hard life was at 350 pounds.

This thing is hard. You have to be willing to learn about nutrition, about food, about yourself, about cooking, about some self-denial.

But it ain't nothing compared to being fat.

Good luck in your efforts. Most of you, like most dieters, will not be able to make the jump. Most diets, even low carb ones, fail. That's just reality. I don't say that from arrogance, being 60 pounds overweight myself. The jury is still out on me. But at least it hasn't come back with a conviction yet, and that's all I can ask.

Now, get yourself in the game.

Sir: I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm glad I found a place where people just like me reside.
  #156   ^
Old Tue, Jun-23-15, 11:49
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:000
Progress: 13%

Hi, I'm also new to the forums..

I started my low-carb journey on June 1st, 2015...this is my 23rd day and so far, it's been GREAT.
I haven't felt this good in a LONG time.

My starting weight on the 1st was 275 lbs
I'm 5' 7, female, with a medium frame.

The good news is that I've already lost 10 lbs. (along with a few inches YAH)

Need to lose at least 100 lbs...but I also need to lose a whole lot of inches, so at the end of the week, if the scale is being a butt head, I'll be grabbing my tape measure to see if their is any progress on that end. Either way, I'm hoping for a little 'something' (doesn't have to be HUGE) each week.

Looking forward to meeting you all..
  #157   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-15, 10:12

Plan: Atkins '72 low carbs
Stats: 303/233/203 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default I'm new to this website and forum too.

Hi lo-carb,

You're the lucky one because I am addressing this to you since you are the most recent post on this thread. I am a 67 yo male who needs to lose at least 100 lbs. too. 20-25 more lbs at the tail end would be great. But 100 lbs. is a good round number. I was an Atkins once before about 15 years ago and lost about 35 lbs in a little over 3 months. Kept it off for years until life and health intervened and I fell off the Atkins wagon. I had open heart surgery 3 years ago and after an initial weight loss, I gain back way more than I should have. Now I am trying to lose it with Atkins again. I started May 20th and have lost 17 lbs by yesterday, July 7th. But I am in a stall or plateau now for over three weeks and have fluctuated between 2-3 lbs variation during this time. I'm looking for support and advice on how to jump start the steady weight loss again. I am still in the induction, 20 net carbs stage and plan to stay on it for the duration. It seems to be easy to follow and I don't get cravings or hungry.

Can anyone on this thread offer some advice on how to get out of this persistent stall? It is frustrating after the initial success in induction. Thanks and good luck to everyone, including you, lo-carb, on meeting your own weight loss goals.
  #158   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-15, 17:21

Plan: Atkins 72'
Stats: 329.4/254.0/179.4 Female 5'10"
BF:hmm..too much ;)
Progress: 50%
Default Not new...but renewed :)

Hi Everyone

I'm back again...third time to this forum, 4th time in low carb. I will apologize in advance for the long initial post. The first time I heard about LC or Atkins was from my mom way back in the 70's. From 8-12 I was a little chubby, and mom started me on LC, (at least while I was at home). I discovered sports in the 7th grade, slimmed right down...and never had a weight problem until after my third child. I stayed active playing sports, swimming, and dancing, so my metabolism ran well. (Oh how I long for those days, lol).
After my third child, I gained until I was almost 300 lbs. My husband was abusive and the only solace I found was in food. I finally got to the point that I decided I couldn't take it any more. The more I lost, the more abusive he became. But I stayed with him because I was terrified of what he would do, and I thought anything would be better than putting my boys through a divorce. I was so wrong.
At that time I lost 88 lbs, but before I finally found the courage to leave him...I gained back up to 250.
I married the love of my life in 2006. We have had so many tribulations; threats to our lives, loss of jobs, loss of our home to a fire, loss of my husband's health, and then the loss of my health. I thought we had done so well weathering all these valleys. I was wrong again.
Even as a large person I had always had great readings from the doctor and stayed active...but age, and depression, finally hit a big blow. I first found this LC forum in 2009. With the help of this forum and being familiar with the way of life...I lost 74 lbs. However, once we lost our home, the one I had lived in since I was 18, my boys only home, and moved 4 times in 4 years...depression set in heavily. I gained back 79 lbs, and I have been on on full disability since 2012.
I tried the forum and lc again in 2014, lost 20 lbs in 3 months, but gained it back again.
So, now this is my 4th and final time. I was scared straight by my Dr. visit Friday! I am in great place emotionally and much better place financially. I am adding exercise back in...with a lake, and the beach, and a gym all nearby...I have no excuses. I'm buying the right foods, measuring myself, weighing once a week (because daily drives me nuts), and getting active. Plus my DH is totally supportive something that I am eternally grateful for. Again, I'm so happy to be back and to have a renewed excitement of meeting and keeping my goal of being healthy.
  #159   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-15, 06:25

BF:
Default My Update

I posted here nine days ago looking for advice on pulling out of a stall or breaking through a plateau. The advice from LEY100 and others was to just be patient and continue to eat the same way and it would happen.

Well, I am pleased to say that advice worked. I quit worrying about it and continued my diet and ate my induction 20 net carb meals and drank lots of water. On July 8th I was stalled at 287-288 lbs. Today, July 16th, I am down to 282 lbs for the last two days. That's 21 lbs. lost since I started on May 20th. The diet works, just slower than our minds and body want it to sometimes. This is not some snake-oil elixir or magic wand that will miraculously take the weight off in one fell swoop. It is a steady, persistent journey. A journey with goals and setbacks and successes along the way. I am committed for the long run until I meet my end goal. And then I'm committed to not falling back into the processed carbs and sugar way of life.

I love this diet because I can eat and snack and not starve myself and still lose weight. What could be better? Once the processed carbs and sugars are eliminated, the fat starts burning off and the cravings and hunger go away. At least for me. I feel lighter on my feet on my daily walks and the chores around the farm seem easier. Next, will be to switch back to those shirts and pants in the closet that are one size smaller than I've been wearing. Then I'll know I am on my way to reaching my goal of losing a 100 lbs. Only 80 lbs to go!

Last edited by HotHunt : Thu, Jul-16-15 at 09:17.
  #160   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-15, 11:52

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
This is not some snake-oil elixir or magic wand that will miraculously take the weight off in one fell swoop. It is a steady, persistent journey. A journey with goals and setbacks and successes along the way. I am committed for the long run until I meet my end goal. And then I'm committed to not falling back into the processed carbs and sugar way of life.
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-15, 06:15

BF:
Default Thanks BKLOOTS

Thanks for your support, bkloots. I appreciate it. I'm down another pound this morning, for a total of 22 pounds lost since May 20th.

My nylon gym shorts I wear on my daily walk are having trouble staying up. Might have to go buy a smaller size soon! What a problem to have, huh?

I lived in Kansas City, MO back in the late 70's when my wife was stationed at the now closed Richards-Gebauer Air Force base, south of Belton. My experiences I remember from back then were running a marathon in central KC (lots of hills), it being freezing cold in the winter, having to go to KC, KS to shop on Sundays, the heaviest rains in two days I've ever experienced (12" followed by 16" and washed out and flooded the Country Club Plaza) and a tornado that went over our house and tore up a gas station and apartment complex within sight of where we stayed huddled in the crawl space under our own home. But other than that it was a nice place.

Last edited by HotHunt : Fri, Jul-17-15 at 06:23.
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-15, 10:57

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Um, yes, Hothunt, I remember all those things, including the first KC Marathon in 1979 (4hr 17 min). Yes, hills. That surprises people who come here expecting a flat prairie. Hey--it's a river town! And that means floods, too.

But it IS a great place to live.

Right now it's pretty hot, like Florida. But no alligators. and not too many 'Gators either! But ya'll come visit.
  #163   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-16, 17:18

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 261/227/180 Female 5 foot 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hello everyone, I am just starting again but been here before years ago. The first time I started Atkins I lost 70 lbs in 9 months. I was so proud of myself. I felt so accomplished in hitting my goal. Plus I just felt so much better physically. Then my mother passed away and that was it. I just didn't care about myself any more. I gained everything I lost plus alot more. Now I need to lose at least 100 lbs. I am excited.. ...I wish everyone the best on their own weight lose.
  #164   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 06:24

Plan: Keto
Stats: 320/294/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have a question about the weekly weigh-in. I see posts that have multiple screen names and dates. Is there someone that I should submit this info to each month? It is a little confusing because the thread is weekly weigh-in. Just trying to understand the layout and process of this forum. Thanks!
  #165   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-17, 17:26
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

On the weekly weigh-in threads you just copy the text of the last post into your new post, add your name and weight in the same format as others, and then save it. It is a little quirky, but it serves its purpose. I've participated for more than 2 years. Knowing that I have to post each week helps keep me on the straight and narrow.