Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 06:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/212/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Smile Wher to buy LC in Germany?

Hello All,
Does anyone know where in Germany you can buy low carb foods? I live in Stuttgart. I've been to a health food store, but the prices were out of this world 20+euros for half a pound of almonds - crazy! I've been buying from vitaglo.com which isn't bad, except when I run out of something and have to wait a week or two to get it replaced.
I'd love to find out how many other board members live in Germany. Afterall, from what I understand, LC dieting is supposed to be much more popular in Germany than in the States.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-03, 15:43

Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi cmwig,
I don't live in Germany, but in Belgium. I buy almonds and grounded almonds in a Chinese shop (3 € for 400g). Maybe they sell it in Asian shops around you to.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 09:16

Stats: 238/185/150 Female 5 ft.5in.
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi there
I live in Düsseldorf..you can get ground almonds and hazelnuts at Lidal and Wal-Mart. Prices very good.
You can get whey protien powder (I get Champs brand),ground flax seed & wheat bran at DM prices fantastic! Pork rinds can also be found at Wal-Mart and chinese stores along with coconut,cocnut milk,and ground nuts.
Da Vinci sryups go to www.kaffeeshop24.de you do not have to buy in quantity. search under aroma syrups.
That is about all I have been able to find so far.
Good luck and if you find any please post and let us all know.

Pattie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 14:20

Stats: 237.6/229/135 Female 5'6''
BF:41/40/22
Progress: 8%
Default Hi All!

Hi Dana! I was wondering where you had wandered off to!!! Glad to see you are still with us!! How are you doing there in Antwerp??? Write and let me know.

Hi Pattie! Man, you have been holding out on me!!!! LIDL has ground nuts in Germany??? WOW! The Lidl and the Aldi's here are not so good. But, my German girlfriend tells me she never even goes in them here because they are TERRIBLE compared to German ones!!! So, I guess I want to go shopping with you when I come to visit...SOON!!!!! I think I am going to feel I have died and gone to heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw the link for the Davinici syrups...are these SugarFree?????

OK....gotta go make some coffee...BAD LOW CARBER, BAD LOW CARBER! Oh well, I will drik a bottle of water when I finish! lol

See ya'll soon!

Char
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 06:09

Stats: 215/215/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi! I just asked the same question question a few days ago. If you find out any good information please let me know. I live near Ramstein.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 06:20
Registered Member

BF:

Hello,
Since you said that you live near Ramstein, I thought that you might be US military. If this is the case, then the best place to buy low carb products is from vitaglo.com. If your order is over $50, then shipping is free. But of course, this is only the case if you have a US military shipping address.
Good Luck on your diet!! By the way, I used to live in Spangdahlem. I now live in Stuttgart.

#7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 12:50

BF:

At my weight I'm not military but my other half is. Spangdahlem and Stuttart?? Does that mean you're here because of the military too? I love it here!!!
I'll try the website. Thanks for the tip. Look me up on the boards sometime. It's neat to know that there is someone near by in the same boat.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 14:17
Registered Member

BF:

Hi mthrmayi2,
I was active duty in Spangdahlem, but now only my husband is active duty. I think that I liked Spangdahlem better, but then again I had my own car, my own money, and a lot more sleep back then. Of course I was single then also, and now I have a nine month old that takes up my days and nights. I'm certainly not complaining though - my little Boobala took his first step today !!! so exciting !!!
so how long have you been in Germany? three years for us - two in Spang and one here.
Wow - you've knocked out 12 pounds pretty quickly - Congratulations !!
Doesn't Ramstein have a really big BX? and if so, I wonder if they carry LC products. Let me know what you find.
Good Luck!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 23:10

BF:

Your baby took a step!!!! How exciting!!! We've been in Germany for almost a year. I love it, but we we're in England before that and it was gray and flat and I didn't have a car or a job for the first time in my adult life. I had both of my kids there back to back. People say that our BX is big compared to other bases, but I don't think it is that great. No LC foods here. The commissary was thinking about carrying some, but the military doesn't want them to. There is some debate going on over it. Can't wait to hear from you again, Good luck!!! Have to get one of my little ones up for preschool.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 14:30

Stats: 237.6/229/135 Female 5'6''
BF:41/40/22
Progress: 8%
Default Hi guys

My friend Pattie lives in Dusseldorf. She said you can buy ground nuts at WalMart...And, you might be able to find other things there as well. It might be worth it to ask Walmart if they'd consider carrying some LC things there....especially if you can guarantee to purchse so much of it.... It is worth a letter right??? You can find WalMarts in Germany by looking on www.walmart.de, I think....Good Luck from an American in Holland!!!

Charlotte
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 07:10

Stats: 206.4/160/150 Female 178
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hello there,

I hope y'all feeling good in Germany. I am a German, married to an english-man and I am living in the south of Germany too. I know its hard to survive over here (I've been looking for LC-goodys all over the place). Here are some adresses of shops near Stuttgart. One of them is Marktkauf and the other one is Kaufland. They both got things like: LC-bacon crisps, low sugar ketchup and no sugar peanut-butter. I usually bake my own bread - I love it, but it includes lots of corns. If you want I post you the recepie. If you can talk a little bit of german: there is a good homepage of german Low Carbers with lots of nice recepies for all kind of foods and lots of tips. http://www.atkinsforum.de/
If you have a Lidl nearby: I do buy theire Coke light - it is really not bad and very cheap (cause Coke light is my sweet treat for the day...).
Are you guys doing LC on your own in your family or do you get some support?
Love to hear
Have a nice low-carb-day
britty

Marktkauf:
70469 Stuttgart / Feuerbach | Stuttgarter Straße 46-48
Telefon 0711/8 90 50 Fax +/8 90 52 00
Öffnungszeiten:
Mo. - Fr.: 08.00-20.00 Uhr
Samstag: 08.00-18.00 Uhr
........................................................................ ....
Kaufland

Rembrandtstraße 47
70567 Stuttgart
Augsburger Straße 460
70327 Stuttgart
Stuttgarter Straße 70
70734 Fellbach
Aldinger Straße 70
70378 Stuttgart
Schwieberdinger Straße 100
70825 Korntal-Münchingen
Merowingerstraße 5
70736 Fellbach
Schwieberdinger Straße 94
71636 Ludwigsburg

70771 Leinfelden/Unteraichen | Hohenheimer Straße 7
Telefon 0711/1 60 65 12 Fax +/75 66 67
Öffnungszeiten:
Mo. - Fr.: 08.00-20.00 Uhr
Samstag: 08.00-16.00 Uhr
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 10:56

Stats: 270/230/180 Female 174 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default New low carb store in Germany!

Hi all,
good to meet you.
I, too, have been lowcarbing since last summer and also live in Germany.
I am sooo fed up with not being able to buy low carb foods in Germany and have therefore decided to open up an online low carb store.

I hope you can help me with a little survey:

If you would decide on buying low carb products online in Germany:

Which lc products (or type of products) would you like to see?
Which lc products would you never buy online?
What services would you hope for?
Would you pay by credit card?
Would you pay in advance?
Within how many days would you expect to receive your goods?
Do you have any other advice for me?
And finally: Considering the price/products/services are right, would you consider buying from me store?

I hope you feel that I am not too pushy, but I want to do this right and would appreciate any input from fellow "losers"!

I can't wait for your responses.
Thank you all in advance...

Bananie
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:49
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 173/166/150 Female 5.8" or 1,73 m
BF:
Progress: 30%

Being German I am not so sure what the problem is. Pretty much any of the regular foods allowed on lc diets are available in Germany, such as meats, fish, poultry, cheese, nuts, veggies, fruit....

They're probably not as evolved on fake sugar treats, but aren't we supposed to stay clear of that kinda stuff anyway?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:47

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

I agree with Tashinpa (Hi, here we Germans meet again!) - and in Germany you find Vollkornbrot which is whole grain bread that is really whole grain, not enriched afterwards stuff, and no high fructose corn sirup in anything from Joghurt to what not.

You won't find Atkins shakes and bars, but you might want to look out for items for the Glyx Diet- that is similar to South Beach and is the new German low carb diet based on glycemic index (the word is a pun because it sounds like happiness diet when you pronounce it). LC food might be sold as Glyx-compatible.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 15:51
Registered Member

Plan: strictly BFL
Stats: 183/166,4/158 Male 180 cm
BF:22%/18%/12%
Progress: 72%

Hi,
I German and a member of the above mentioned lowcarb board (offical URL: www.lowcarbforum.de), which is IMHO the best German LC board. Of course it is in German, but it has almost any information about LC and I don't think you won't have problems, if you post a question in English there. The people on the board are extremely kind.

In Germany you cannot buy Atkins products in local stores and there are only a few online stores with LC products:

www.supermass.com
www.low-carb-shop.de
www.lowcarbladen.de

Unfortunately the prices for special LC products are terrible. Therefore most people don't use any of them, but for example bake their own LC bread (me too). There are fantastic recips with German products to be found in the subforum "Rezepte".