Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 14:40
For Real This Time

Plan: SB (Sorta Beachy)
Stats: 272/260/165 Female 68 inches (5'8")
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Working my Butt Off...Literally

It's time to just do it. Time to get serious about exercise.

I've been on the South Beach diet for over 6 months now. I've faltered a little here and there, but for the most part I feel pretty successful with this way of eating. I know what I need to eat (and not eat) in order to lose, and what I can get away with and still maintain. Most of the time I'm pretty satisfied with the plan, and when I'm focused and really follow it the way I should, I'm very satisfied with the results I'm getting.

However...there's more I can and should be doing.

Exercise has always been my biggest problem - I just don't like it enough to do it regularly. I've found certain forms of exercise that I've kind of enjoyed, but for one reason or another, I have never been able to make a real habit of working out.

I need to change that. Exercise is so good for us in so many ways, for so many reasons - I need to JUST DO IT.

Maybe if I finally focus on making exercise a priority, I'll be able to increase my energy and sense of well-being. I'm also hoping that it will help me to like what I see in the mirror a little more, too. (After losing 30 lbs, how is it possible that I look worse than when I started instead of looking better???)

So, enough rambling. I have my regular journal for that. This is where I'm going to focus on exercise. I think I'll try putting in one entry per week, with a workout plan/goals, and then edit the weekly entries with my daily progress. I also plan to take my measurements on a monthly basis - something I probably should have started 6 months ago, but better late than never, right?

Here we go...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 14:50
For Real This Time

BF:

Tracking Measurements Here.

Date.......Wt..........B.........W........H.......Ab........Bi.......Th. .......C.........Ak........Wr

3/25.......243.4.......45........41.5....52......44.5.....15.......29.5... ..19.5.....10.5......6.5

(Note: for the sake of consistency, I'm recording my measuring methods, so I can measure in the same way/same spot each time.

Bust (B) - fullest part
Waist (W) - smallest part - 4 inches above navel
Hips (H) - widest part
Lower Abdomen (Ab) - 2-3 inches below navel
Upper Arm/Bicep (Bi) - left arm, widest part
all leg measurements are taken on left leg, with foot resting on edge of bathtub and thigh parallel to floor
Thigh (Th) - widest part
Calf (C) - widest part
Ankle (Ak) - smallest part
Wrist (Wr) - smallest part

(I know most people probably don't take so many measurements, but after being so overweight for so long, I feel like even my wrists, ankles, feet and hands have gotten fat)

Clothing sizes:

Date...............Jeans..................Tops..............Dress....... .........Bra

3/25................20......................2x.................18/20................38D/40C

Last edited by donnaliz67 : Wed, Mar-25-09 at 11:35.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-09, 11:17
For Real This Time

BF:

Week 1 (3/23-3/29/09)

For now, I'm defining cardio as treadmill, elliptical or DVD's (Walk Away the Pounds, Tae Bo, Cardio Salsa or others). My endurance is not too bad, but I need to build up on intensity. I'm a real beginner at strength training, yoga, etc. so I'm going to start out really slow with these and build up gradually.

Goals for Week 1:

Cardio...................3 x 40 minutes = 120 minutes
Strength/Other.......3 x 20 minutes = 60 minutes
------------------------------------------------
Total workout goal..........................180 minutes
-------------------------------------------------
Date/Activity.............................................Cardio.min......... ....Strength/Other min
3/23 - n/a.................................................0..................... ....0
3/24 - 30 min elliptical................................30.........................0
3/25 - 30 min WATP Walk/Kick.....................30.........................0
3/26 - 30 min elliptical/15 min "pilates"...........30........................15

3/27
3/28
3/29
-----------------------------------------------------------
Total minutes............................................90................... ......15

Last edited by donnaliz67 : Thu, Mar-26-09 at 08:43.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-09, 08:45
For Real This Time

BF:

Hahahahaha - I tried to do my "Pilates for Weight Loss" DVD today. The thing I've always found about Pilates is that you have to actually HAVE some abdominal muscles in order to do the exercises!!!

I only got through about 15 minutes, and I'm sure I didn't do the exercises in proper form. But I'll work my way up.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-09, 06:11
For Real This Time

BF:

OK I guess I must have done SOMETHING right in my little pathetic attempt at Pilates yesterday. Cause this morning my abs are sore. Not sore enough to cause me any distress, but a good kind of sore - like I can feel that they're there, and that I did something with them!!

That's mildly encouraging.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-09, 05:44
For Real This Time

BF:

Not such a great first week. Got busy over the weekend and did not squeeze in time for workouts. Did do a lot of walking on Sunday cause we took the kids on a day trip, but not a "real" workout.

Goals for Week 2:
Date/Activity.............................................Cardio.min......... ....Strength/Other min
3/30 - 60 min walking..................................60.........................0
3/31 - 60 min walking..................................60.........................0
4/1
4/2
4/3
4/4
4/5
Total minutes............................................60................... .......0

Last edited by donnaliz67 : Wed, Apr-01-09 at 13:29.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 20:08
For Real This Time

BF:

Not such a great second week either. LOL!! Let's hope the third week is the charm.

Tried a new workout DVD today - Kathy Smith Lift Weights to Lose Weight. It's a 2-DVD set, with a total of 7 different short workouts. Today I did the first upper body workout and part of the first lower body workout on the first DVD. I'm way out of shape, haven't done any weight training or real toning work in a long time, but once I get into a groove I think these workouts will be good.

Goals for Week 3:
4/6 - wt training DVD (upper/lower body) .......10.........................30
4/7
4/1
4/2
4/3
4/4
4/5
Total minutes............................................10................... ......30
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 08:31
For Real This Time

BF:

Sigh...life keeps getting in the way. Here we go again - let's give it another shot this week.

Goals for Week 5: (don't ask what happened to week 4)
4/20 - ........................................................0............... ...........0
4/21 - 30 min elliptical....................................30........................ .0
4/1
4/2
4/3
4/4
4/5
Total minutes...........................................30.................... .....0