Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 06:56

Plan:
Stats: 154/150/133
BF:
Progress:
Default is this normal???

Have been on the Atkins induction diet for 4 weeks. It took me 2.5 weeks to get into Ketosis, now if I eat so much as a cherry tomato I come out of Ketosis. Have lost, gained back and lost again the same 2lbs. I am 154lbs and want to get down to 140lbs but at this rate i will not be able to eat veggies for six months. (I also am lacking in something as i have noticed some bruises) If i eat veggies of a small amount, it knocks me out of ketosis. My clothes were looser but now are of the same looseness. Can anyone suggest anything to help, I do feel great on the diet and intend to never eat rice bread etc ever again!!

Am I normal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 11:54
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi aowyn, glad you found us

Colour of the ketostix does not work for everyone the same way, it helps, but it's not essential.

Chance are a small tomato is not the culprit, there are many hidden carbs in various foods that we assume are zero-carb.

Post a sample of a typical day's menu, and we'll see if anything might be responsible.

Lost inches are the most important cue to your progress, so you seem to have done well so far. Keep taking measurements and let's see if we can suggest changes to your menu that can help.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 03:55

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default a typical diet

breakfast:2 fried eggs in olive oil and 4 bits of bacon, a pint of water (fibre tablets) and a creamy decaf coffee with sweetner.
Lunch: half an avacado with prawns and mayonnaise some nuts (walnuts or almonds) water and fruit tea.
Dinner: ommmlette with brie chesse and frankfurter sausage and a sprinkling of spring onion. Creamy coffee and lots of water.
Snack: Pork rinds or nuts.

I am going to attempt a whole week in purple. I had a glass of red wine on sunday and I am still not back in to Ketosis (2 days) I have taken on more aerbic exercise at the Gym. After I go back into Ketosis I am going to try and stay in for a week, kep up the exercise and drink tons of water and not weigh or measure myself for a week for hopefully a huge improvement. Obviosly I will measure and weigh myself at the start of the week. I have been on the Atkins for 6 weeks now (judging by my supplements) and I have not lost any weight at all. I feel good on the diet. but if I see no difference after this week I may just resume to a normal diet but without rice pasta potatoes and bread.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 04:54

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Aowyn, out of curiousity how many carbs do you think the above has? It doesn't look like you are eating enough from the looks of it. Depends on what you term as a "few".

Avocado, nuts, coffee, frankfurters, milk all have carbs, the avocado has a ton of them depending on what type.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 05:27

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I have decaff coffee, double cream not milk, I eat big buttery avacados and the frankfurters have hardly any carb in for the ammount I eat, for example there are 4 carbs per jar and there are ten in ajar I only eat 2 at atime. The nuts , Almonds for example 6.9 g of carb per packet and a packet lasts me a week. Avacados i thought were good as they are full of fat (I eat the buttery ones with shiny green waxy skins (the type we get in UK) But if you think they are not a good idea then I'll cut them out, I thought I could have double cream as its full of fat too. I am not desperately keen on nuts but again I thought they were full of fat. Any suggestions?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 05:58

The avocados we get here (florida) have around 27 grams of carbs in them. They are sorta high and mix that with the nuts (could be 5 to 6 grams of carbs depending on how many you are eating and what type), coffee (coffee does have carbs and add up)....

In other words you could be pushing it. This isn't persay a high fat diet as a low carb one.

Eat lots of fresh meats like, beef, pork, chicken, fish, seafood. Try to stay away from lunchmeat type products because they do contain carbs. Eat salads, fresh veggies, eggs and hard type cheese.

Things I personally stay away from: beans, pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, avocados, corn, peas, tomatoes, squash, anything that even looks like it has more than 5 carbs per serving doesn't even get close to me.

Oh and just a thought, if you are only eating HIGH FAT foods, your body is probably burning that instead of working at burning the fat stores of your body. Try going for normal type foods with moderate fat content and low carbs. Don't try to only pick the foods with the most fat in them, but eat a balanced type menu.

Example: Steak with steamed cauliflower and brocoli, grilled chicken wrapped in bacon with a green salad, 3 egg omelett with ham and cheese

Last edited by agonycat : Tue, Jun-12-01 at 06:13.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 06:25

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Yes I see what you are saying.

I think perhaps i originally started to try and eat more fat as I thought i was in a stall. But now I have decided to kick start Ketosis again I need to cut down on fat again. I have been reading so much about these types of diet and I think I got bogged down with all the stuff and forgot the basics.

Incidentally does decaf cofee have that many carbs in? I think I was originally avoiding the caffeine I didn't think of carbs, but it is such an easy luxurios treat when I'm tired in the evening, perhaps I should just give it up until I'm back in Ketosis and then try and see what effect it has on me.

Thanks for your help I'll keep you posted in a weeks time!!

I'm not expecting huge results, just something!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-01, 06:35

Any coffee has carbs in it. Decaff or otherwise. It's around 0.5 per 8 ounces so *IF* you are drinking pots of coffee a day, then that alone can push you over the limit. However if you are only having a cup or two a day I don't see the harm. And I hope that sweetner you are using is low carb .

And yes I know it is hard between all the diets to not get confused and forget the basics of which one you are following. I read some of the threads in here and forget who is on what type of diet

Wishing you the greatest success over the next 7 days!