Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 09:59

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Quit eggs, lost 3.5 pounds overnight

I happened to mention on another thread that whenever I ate an egg, no matter how it was prepared, that about 30 minutes later I'd start experiencing extreme cravings for high-carb foods - oatmeal, beans, lentils, chili, etc.

All not allowed on Atkins, which I've been following in one version or another for a couple months, and after losing 12 pounds during the first ten days, I stalled with a months' worth of ups & downs amounting to nothing.

I was told that I should get tested for EGG ALLERGY, and meantime I've learned about more typical symptoms of this allergy.

Anyway, I went for 24 hours with NO egg, nor any egg product, and overnight my weight dropped three and one-half pounds.

Yesterday, I made a mistake and ate 1 tablespoon of mayonaisse, and yep... once again, about 30 minutes later I was ravenously H.U.N.G.R.Y.

Anyway, I will be avoiding all eggs, and all egg products, and all foods containing ANY eggs from now on.

I've read in the past that many people who stop eating any and all forms of wheat commonly lose 20-30 pounds without dieting, and maybe this happens with other food allergies, too.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-12-09, 17:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 296.6/255/220 Male 77
BF:40%/28%/18%
Progress: 54%

i'm not an authority on eggs, except I know I love them.

if it's working for you, then keep it up. If after awhile you want to try an egg again, go for it. live it up.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-09, 05:01

BF:

In a few weeks, I'm going to try eating several hard boiled egg yolks, without any of the whites, to see if I have any reaction. I've read that most people, if they have any sensitivity, that it is to the whites of the egg.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 12:07
Registered Member

Plan: semi low-carb
Stats: 209.6/201.4/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Annie, what were some of your other symptoms?

Every morning since I started induction, I've eaten nothing but 2 eggs for breakfast, either hard-boiled, fried or scrambled. By 9:30 after I've been at work for an hour, I'm ravenous. So hungry, I feel like I'm going to be sick to my stomach. I usually eat a small bit of flavoured yogurt which gets me through to lunch, but only just. This is the only time of day I feel "deprived" since I started induction.

I'm happy to try cutting out eggs altogether, as you did, but what do you eat in their place? I'm not fond of meat for breakfast, even breakfast meats. Bacon stinks up the house and my clothes, and it's full of salt and additives, so I don't cook it often.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 12:19

BF:

I'm followoing CALP now, so for both of my first two meals of the day, I have a portion of either meat OR fish along with either a salad or cooked low carb veggie.

Recently, I tried eating eggs again.

What I did was to have them for supper one night, and then immediately again for breakfast the following morning.

NEVER again.

My finger & toe joints were all achy as were my wrists - and so I am very suspicious of eggs and the place they may have played in my state of UN-health over the years.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 18:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

2 eggs is only about 150 calories, that wouldn't keep a lot of people full very long. You might try having some olives, nuts, cheese for breakfast. I've even had salads for breakfast, with meat. One of my favorite breakfasts right now is stew.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-09, 19:23
Registered Member

Plan: semi low-carb
Stats: 209.6/201.4/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

The cheese is a good idea. I just can't stomach the thought of meat and salad for breakfast.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 175/176/140 Female 64
BF:29%
Progress: -3%

This is a great topic! I have a wheat allergy and stopped eating all gluten products 2 months ago...and lost NOTHING!!! Then I cut out all sugar...still NOTHING!!! I love eggs and cheese...I wonder if I also have an egg allergy. I do actually seem to get a bit bloated after breakfast...I am actually thinking of doing a restriction and elimination plan for a few weeks to evaluate what might be the problem.

I am following the Atkins '72 plan and am in my second week...I had been doing the 2002/ web site recommended 12-15 net carbs and actually gained 6 lbs...anyone have any other suggestions?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 11:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by napanda
This is a great topic! I have a wheat allergy and stopped eating all gluten products 2 months ago...and lost NOTHING!!! Then I cut out all sugar...still NOTHING!!! I love eggs and cheese...I wonder if I also have an egg allergy. I do actually seem to get a bit bloated after breakfast...I am actually thinking of doing a restriction and elimination plan for a few weeks to evaluate what might be the problem.

I am following the Atkins '72 plan and am in my second week...I had been doing the 2002/ web site recommended 12-15 net carbs and actually gained 6 lbs...anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi there, Napanda,

Here's a thread that might really interest you -- you see, it is possible that you are not allergic to wheat, but rather intolerant of the fructans in wheat.

Fructans exist in many foods such as wheat, onions, artichokes.

And many people - around a third of all Americans have Fructose Malabsorption - it used to be called DFI, or Dietary Fructose Intolerance.

Here is an active messagethread that MAY be of interest to you... you see, there are beginning to be researchers who are starting to believe that the evidence shows that we all are getting fat because of FRUCTOSE in our foods.

The worst offender, of course, is High Fructose Corn Syrup, but pears & apples and other fruits & veggies have LOTS of fructose too.

Fructose Metabolism By The Brain Increases Food Intake And Obesity

LC Research/Media Forum : Active Low-Carber Forums

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=393715
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-09, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%