Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-08, 01:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/162/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Lithium & Induction

Hi Guys!

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I have a terrible time getting the Atkins plan to work for me. I lose the water weight in the first 4 days but then I just stay the same for weeks on end. This has repeated itself all 3 times I have tried. To be fair, the first time I had no idea what I was doing.

So I am trying to cut here and there and figure it out. I just realized that since I take Lithium it may be causing the problem (I read in the Atkins book that certain drugs can but I never really gave it much thought).

I was wondering if anyone can confirm that Lithium is a known staller because its much easier to adjust my foods then it would be to try and stop taking my medications. I am also on Welbutrin XL but I am fairly sure that one is O.K. I am mainly concerned with the Lithium.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-08, 10:49
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Welcome!

As far as lithium is concerned, i want to mention that you really have to be careful when you change your diet. Make sure that you're fluid intake is adequate and that you stay within a normal range of sodium intake. A huge change in the two can affect your levels.

I'd say that welbutrin is probably more of a culprit for the lack of weight loss. Are you taking them for depression or for mania? Or other reasons? Perhaps your doc could take you off the wellbutrin or lower the dose.

Let the doc know that you are switching eating plans, maybe he or she could adjust or change meds, or perhaps you could be without if you are in a good place with yourself.

I wish you the best of luck.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-08, 00:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/162/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha22
I'd say that welbutrin is probably more of a culprit for the lack of weight loss. Are you taking them for depression or for mania? Or other reasons? Perhaps your doc could take you off the wellbutrin or lower the dose.

Let the doc know that you are switching eating plans, maybe he or she could adjust or change meds, or perhaps you could be without if you are in a good place with yourself.

I wish you the best of luck.

I wasn't too worried about the Welbutrin because its not an SSRI, Its a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. Basicly its not your typical anti-depressant. So I figured it wasn't going to be a problem since in the Atkins book he mentioned Anti-depressants and SSRIs espessially to be the problem pills.

I am taking both Lithium and Welbutrin to stabalize my mental health. My diagnosis is "Symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder without the Full Disorder being Present". At this time if the Welbutrin is holding me back from doing Atkins properly I will choose to just remain at the weight I am at for the time being. There is nothing worse then having my medications screwed around with and I've been trying to get my mental health stabalized for 10 years. I have only been stable for about 1.5 years. it just isn't worth toying with.

I am only on a very small dosage of Lithium and therefor can see myself dropping that one temporairily to see if it may be the culprit. But before I do that I was just wondering if anyone else was taking Lithium and doing Atkins successfully. I think I'm going to start using Fitday too, to track my food and see if I can find any other reasons why I can never get Atkins to work properly for me.

I'm trying to be patient with it.

Thank you for your response, hopefully I will find out what my problem is.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-08, 10:59

Plan: my plan
Stats: 162.5/148/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 83%

I take Paxil (an SSRI), a pretty good dose of it too. I have severe anxiety without it. I do think it slows my metabolism or something, but I think it's because it chills me out so much.

The same thing happens to me everytime I go full-blown Atkins. I lose the water weight and then a couple more lbs, then a dead stand still. This is the first time I've pushed through it, so I'll tell you what I did. At first, I was eating meat, veggies, low-carb treats I made at home, lc sauces, diet pop, splenda in my coffee and tea, and such. I initially lost about 8 lbs. including whatever water weight on that. After a couple of weeks not losing weight on that, I took out all the extra sauces, treats, and diet pops. Still had splenda in coffee and tea, and lc veggies, cheese, cream. I probably wasn't having more than 30 or 40 g. of carbs/day. This did NOTHING. I got stuck for 7 weeks and was not about to give up anything else. 2 weeks ago, I started eating only meat every other day and you know what? I've lost 5 lbs. (which is a lot to me).

I would say SSRI's might make it more difficult to lose weight, but not even close to impossible. Keep going this time and see what happens. Don't mess with your meds if you're feeling good. You might have to push a little harder than your fellow low-carbers in order to lose the weight, but I'd venture to say that if you weren't doing low-carb, you'd probably be gaining weight on the medication right now.

The thing that's different for me this time is that I changed the way I'm eating for my health. I quit smoking and gained some weight, and that was all it took. I figured as long as I was giving up the cigs, I would give up the snickers and cheetos. I haven't ate off plan for 3 months or so now, and I'm liking it more than ever. Hope this helps.