Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 08:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default So, when is it a stall and when is it time for maintenance?

I've been hovering around 168ish for months. I seem to have broken through a full-fledged stall, but I'm still not losing very quickly. I started out at 190 over a year ago, and found myself down to 175 in about 2 months. Then it took me 6 months to lose another 8 lbs, and in the 6 months since then I gained some of it back (rather quickly) and then s.l.o.w.l.y. lost it again.

Carb creeps up, I crack down and lose a little bit, sometimes I crack down and remain stalled- overall it's just getting frustrating. I broke through a 4 month long stall a month ago, yet only lost a pound since then.

There are really two directions I can go from here.

The first would be to really crack down and try to be super-strict with my dieting to get the weight loss back on track. Keep on buying clothes and bras just slightly too small so that once I lose the weight, I'll have stuff ready to go that fits perfectly (otherwise I'd lose weight and feel worse because everything hangs off of me.) In the meantime, I have skirts in my closet that don't quite fit (not a true problem as long as I have enough skirts that do fit) and bras in my drawer that are too snug (which becomes a problem as the ones that fit well get worn out- I'm rather voluptuous and bras don't last more than a few months, unless I invest in $100 bras which I don't want to do right now.)

The other option would be to start moving into Maintenance mode. I HAVE lost over 20 lbs and kept it off for 9 months. I'm lighter than I was when my younger daughter was a year old; a size I maintained, for the most part, for a decade. My obesity-related health problems are gone- and isn't that the TRUE measure of obsity, not the BMI number (which is maddingly hovering at 30.something, just into the "obese" category.)

By focusing on weight loss, and "how I'll look when I lose a bit more weight", I've been LESS happy with my body than when I was 185 lbs! My whole adult life, except for the first few weeks post-partum (when my beautiful baby belly was deflating) I've been very happy with my body- except this year when I've been trying to lose weight.

So, really, I have two questions. Should I start buying stuff that fits "right now" so I feel good about where my body is at this moment, and risk "wasting money" by outshrinking the clothes before they're worn out? (I'm thinking the answer to this one is a definite yes, that I should at least get myself one new bra.)

And, secondly, how should I eat? Should I keep on aiming for 30g carbs per day to jumpstart weight loss again? Should I maybe try cutting calories as well? Or is it time to re-introduce fruits and higher carb veggies and small portions of gluten-free grains and potatoes, and do so without guilt? Will it REALLY affect my weight loss if I have 50g of carbs per day instead of 30? If not, why am I denying myself?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 14:20

BF:

I did go ahead and order a new bra (in my current size)this morning, but I'm still unsure what to do about my eating plan. Anybody have any advice?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default You're on the right track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
I've been hovering around 168ish for months. I seem to have broken through a full-fledged stall, but I'm still not losing very quickly. I started out at 190 over a year ago, and found myself down to 175 in about 2 months. Then it took me 6 months to lose another 8 lbs, and in the 6 months since then I gained some of it back (rather quickly) and then s.l.o.w.l.y. lost it again.

Ruth - first, kudos on losing the weight, and on keeping it off!

Quote:
There are really two directions I can go from here. The first would be to really crack down and try to be super-strict with my dieting to get the weight loss back on track. The other option would be to start moving into Maintenance mode.

There is a third option you might want to think about: set a body fat (not weight) loss goal. I've lost a lot of weight over the last three years, but haven't lost so much as a pound in the last 12 months. However, by continuing to eat low carbs daily (between 20-40, depending on the day, mood, etc) and thus being able to keep up a high fat consumption (I try to keep my ratios at 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs) - I continue to lose body fat/inches, while increasing lean muscle mass. That means smaller bra, dress and even shoe sizes.

Quote:
Should I start buying stuff that fits "right now" so I feel good about where my body is at this moment, and risk "wasting money" by outshrinking the clothes before they're worn out?

Yes. But perhaps with a caveat. Because I've gone through so many sizes (you should see the PILES of clothes I've given away!), I've learned to buy inexpensively on the net, and buy to jjjjjjusssstttt fit now, so that in a few months it will fit perfectly, and in a few more than that be a bit big, and then, well, it's gone. And you don't need a lot to show off your new bod. A pair of great jeans, a few sweaters and a dress for now. You can get a few summer dresses next summer.
Quote:
is it time to re-introduce fruits and higher carb veggies and small portions of gluten-free grains and potatoes, and do so without guilt? Will it REALLY affect my weight loss if I have 50g of carbs per day instead of 30? If not, why am I denying myself?

You can take it slow (increase 5 carbs daily for a week or two and see how it affects you, if at all), and always back off. I will say for me, though, that there's not much in high carb-ville I miss very much. I don't miss bread (I have Joseph's low carb pita, which is fine for everything from pizzas to sandwiches to chips), sugar or rice. I eat dark chocolate daily and make good-for-me low carb treats (scones, muffins, cookies, fudge, ice-cream) by the ton. I make small size cookies, for instance, and freeze them, and only pull out _A_ cookie when I want it. So really, what am I missing that I don't have now, even with the carb restrictions?

I will add oats and oatmeal this winter, occasionally. I will use some oats to make my traditional winter batch of killer granola (I love some on yogurt w/berries) - but without the sugar or dried fruit. I do (very seldom) have a few tiny roasted potatoes, but don't crave them and can't see myself wolfing down a big one.

Meantime, I am continuing with my SuperSlow weight training, and building great muscle. I am continuing to lose inches and body fat. I am continuing to wear ever-smaller clothes - and I'm eating all the lovely fat I want without having to count calories. Honestly? I don't see me feeling a desire to change my WOE anytime soon - I'm ENJOYING eating this way.

Guess what I'm saying is that if you are feeling deprived of a few foods - add them in moderation and see how you do. But remember that the measuring tape is far more powerful (and accurate) than the scale.

And by all means reward yourself for the great job you've accomplished by buying a few lovely items to show off the new you!

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-08, 06:53

BF:

The thing with higher carb foods is that I don't live alone, and I'm routinely preparing higher-carb foods for my kids. Not "total junk" but things like rice or I'm feeling good about my current closet situation, and I have decided to be a bit more relaxed about eating. I'm trying to make the lower-carb choices more intuitive, and less about counting every gram. For example, last night we had burgers, french fries, and mashed cauliflower. Last time I made this meal, we only had mashed potatoes and I ended up eating way too many of them. This time, I filled up on the burgers and cauliflower (plus some onions I'd fried up with the meat) and only ate about 4 or 5 small fries- it was enough to get to taste them, and having healthier fare to fill up on kept me from gorging.

I'm also not worrying about the carbs in the onions, or exactly how many plum slices I ate after my eggs at breakfast time. DD1 sliced up some fruit and we all shared it.that "hang off me" and potatoes to serve alongside the meat and veggies, and potatoes in the chicken soup in addition to carrots, celery, and pieces of meat. My 13yo eats a lot of fruit, as she's found that high-fat, low-carb meals don't agree with her (though she's lost weight just by cutting back on grains and is probably eating more protein and fewer carbs than she was last year; she has no need to count or measure anything though.)

I anyway only shop at thrift stores (except for very rare occasions like my daughter's Bat Mitzvah (but even then I checked the thrift store first.) And I routinely give away clothes that are no longer flattering. Right now, in my closet, I have a variety of sizes, ranging from "just slightly too snug; wearable but not flattering or comfortable yet" to "a teeny bit loose and looks good on me." Now that I have a new bra, I'm feeling much better about myself and my wardrobe. I now have 2 bras that fit well, plus 2 more that are a little snug, so if I lose more weight I'll already have bras to wear.

Last edited by ruthla : Tue, Sep-23-08 at 07:04. Reason: my computer is messed up and inserted paragraphs where they don't belong
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-08, 06:09

Plan: Dr. Poon
Stats: 193/155/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 88%

Ruth,
congrats on losing weight.
I think it's vital to have clothes that fit because it makes you feel better about yourself and that is the major psychological trick of dieting. --one outfit usually does it!
Good luck
tz