Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 04:13

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Eating breakfast is not a good weight loss strategy,

Another Julia Belluz article in Vox.
Good review of studies on Breakfast...to skip or not to skip? That is the question. could have done without the David Katz and Marion Nestle quotes on its all about CI/CO at the end, but other good researchers compare a veggie omelet to pop tarts...and she adds an eye popping sugar content chart with Chobani yogurt and granola bars.
Net down, I would broaden the conclusions....be very very skeptical of any study that states you will lose more weight by eating more food, more times in a day.

Eating breakfast is not a good weight loss strategy, scientists confirm.
Cereal companies created a myth about the first meal of the day. Researchers keep debunking it.

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/1/182068...iet-weight-loss
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 07:41

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I enjoy breakfast about 2 hours after I get up. It's always two or more eggs with some type of sausage or bacon. Lunch is the meal that I can skip.
Before I started low-carbing, I would eat unsweetened cereal with skim milk. I was always very hungry by noon.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 07:59

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
I enjoy breakfast about 2 hours after I get up. It's always two or more eggs with some type of sausage or bacon. Lunch is the meal that I can skip.
Before I started low-carbing, I would eat unsweetened cereal with skim milk. I was always very hungry by noon.

I also eat breakfast every morning about 2 hours after I wake up. Then I usually eat a late lunch. Works for me but I lost most of my weight eating three meals a day with no snacking and of course sticking to low carb and paying attention to the quality of my food. There are lots of factors that go into determining whether or not any given eating strategy will work for someone. When the focus is on just one element of the strategy, like the timing of breakfast, it is bound to be too narrowly focused to be of great benefit. What you eat, when you eat, how much you eat. It all plays a role.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 08:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I haven't eaten a morning breakfast for years except when I'm on business travel and I never know what I'm going to discover for a lunch. That being said, in my carb addicted, glucose fueled days, I ate a hearty and what I thought was a healthy early morning breakfast, but by 11:30, I would start to feel tired and weak until I consumed some food, specifically carbs. Also, it seemed that the greater quantity consumed at breakfast would result in more quantity consumed at every other meal for the day. Interesting article, but for me, I eat my first meal mid-day and it's usually mostly fat and protein. I'm not hungry until then and there have been times when I've forgotten to eat and then reverted to OMAD. My 5-hour window from my first meal to my last works best for me, and it's usually from 12:30 to 5:30. During the 18 or so hours that I'm not eating, I get into a solid fat burning mode, so the following morning, I have lots of energy.

Not sure who coined the phrase that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day," but I'm betting it was a cereal, yogurt, or pop tart manufacturer. As I look back to the times that I believed this, I'm shocked at how unhealthy a practice this was.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 10:29
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I stream television shows from all countries and in all languages. Invariably, if there's a breakfast shot, the table is dominated by sugar-laden everything. Rarely is there protein and what isn't pure sugar is bread based. It's not just the USA, I hate to say, which has bought the Sugar Lie. And the breakfast lie.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 12:42

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I do almost all of my eating in the morning; breakfast, lunch, and on a rare occasion I will add a third (usually small) meal. Then a TRE (time-restricted eating) of 12-18 plus hours. Every now and then I'll throw in a fast of 24, 40 something, 48, possibly more - once a year maybe?

When I time my third meal wrong I get heartburn - wake up with lava in my throat ugh. I need 4 hours or more of no eating before my head hits the pillow.

#7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 12:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I have tea with coconut oil and wait until lunch most days.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 06:14
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

On weekends I'll take a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter before I go to the gym for my pilates class at 930. Then I eat around noonish. During the week I have to eat breakfast and that is at 930. I skip lunch but have a snack. then I eat dinner.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 07:07

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I eat breakfast on weekends, but only if it's a social family thing, which it usually is. Back when I was really (too) thin, I was a waitress for the breakfast shift. If we were slow, the cook would occasionally make up some French Toast for us and I'd put syrup on mine and I would be famished about an hour and a half later. I learned then that cereal (including oatmeal), yogurt, and any other carb would leave me hungry and shaky if I didn't eat another meal soon after. I don't know why it took me so long to realize carbs were killing me.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 13:26

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I've always wondered if the need/desire to eat breakfast might not be related to whether one is a natural "early bird" or a natural "night owl."

At least in my family, the night owls don't want anything (except possibly coffee) until they been awake for at least a couple of hours and, if given the option, will happily wait until noon or later for their first meal. But family members who wake up early and "raring to go" all WANT a nice hearty breakfast.

Given that our society is organized in favor of "early birds," maybe that's the main reason why the message that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" became such an entrenched mantra that even night-owl mothers (like my own Mom) still insisted that their night-owl offspring to eat breakfast.

Thankfully, my mom finally gave up on making me eat breakfast about the time I hit junior high. But my early-bird Dad was STILL nagging at me that I OUGHT to eat breakfast right up until the day he passed away at age 89! He was just so sure that because he woke up at 5:30AM starving for breakfast that there must be something wrong with me that all I wanted at that time in the morning was about 4 more hours of sleep!

If you think about it tho, in a hunter-gatherer society, having some members of the tribe be night-owls would be quite beneficial to the tribe's survival. I mean, just think how much more securely the majority of a nomadic hunter-gatherer tribe could sleep at night if some portion of the tribe is wide-awake and alert to ward off predators until the wee hours of the morning when the rest of the tribe started waking up. And then the night owls could safely sleep thru the morning hours knowing that the rest of the tribe was up and active and therefore keeping THEM safe in return.

And, just how much survival value would there be in having the ENTIRE tribe gathered around eating "breakfast" all at the same time? Nobody left out there to keep watch! Doesn't seem like a great plan to me.

I think its our DIFFERENCES that make us stronger as a society than we are as individuals. So it makes no sense that so many people want everybody to be just like them and despise (or at least don't really trust) anybody who is different.

I say VIVA LA DIFFERENCE! If you wake up hungry and want to eat breakfast, then eat. If any breakfast you eat sits in your stomach like a lump of lead for hours and only serves to make you hungry earlier than you would otherwise be, then skip breakfast.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 14:25

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Dr. Rhonda Patrick just started FMF Clips

Here's a good one:

What time to start eating when doing time-restricted eating

#12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 17:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
I've always wondered if the need/desire to eat breakfast might not be related to whether one is a natural "early bird" or a natural "night owl."

As a night owl myself I find your arguments compelling.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 18:14
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Well, I'm an aberration. I rise at 3:30 every single day. DH and DDog open my door and that's the end of my sleep cycle. Just water before I start the walk at 4am.

On Yoga days I drink my new coffee concoction which I've named the Bombshell. It's front-loaded with concentrated proteins and other
keto-inducing ingredients to get me through the class (1.5 hours) with plenty of energy. After Yoga and the drive back home I eat food. That's about 10:30am and I usually stop eating at 3pm.

I've always hated breakfast foods, so whatever I eat to break my fast will never be bacon and eggs. Yuck!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 07:31
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Likely depends on how strong a "Dawn Phenomenon" you have?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 10:03

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I wouldn't say that breakfast can't be part of a good strategy, there is some evidence for it in the circadian rhythm stuff.

The question of night owl versus morning person is interesting. Looking at meal timing in animals--with nocturnal animals, the circadian rhythm studies involve feeding the animals mostly at the beginning of their active period--dark. Animals active in the day will do better eating in the light. It would be interesting to look at meal timing relative to "natural" wake/sleep patterns in people, studies in humans where on average eating early works better than eating late, all things being equal, might be skewed if more people just tend to be daytimers than nighttimers.

Food-altered rhythms will tend to be different on a ketogenic diet, though. The daily switch between mostly fat and mostly carbohydrate just isn't there, or at least it's way milder.

I mostly eat before one, because I work a four to midnight shift. I prefer this because ketosis seems to help with social anxiety, I don't like to eat too much too close to work, even though my diet is very ketogenic.