Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-18, 21:25
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Dem bonez them bones them beef bones:

https://www.alderspring.com/store/product43.html
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 08:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Dem bonez them bones them beef bones:

https://www.alderspring.com/store/product43.html

THAT's !!!
  #108   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-18, 08:10

BF:

Roasted a turkey yesterday. Nibbled some of the meat, and rest is cooking in a pot bones and all. Plan to remove some of the broth, and add a can of ground tomatos to the rest to slowly simmer for the day.

Found K2.

Breakfast--
Greek yogurt, with added organic grassfed cream, because all the yogurts are fat free in my usual store. Adding kefir and berries.

Duck eggs and steak.
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 13:50

BF:

Found K2---100 mg , 83% RDA. Having kids take one a day-- with plan to get up to 2 a day.

Pushing yogurt, keifer, and organic milk.

From Dr Wheatbelly's blog more support for maintaining oral microbiome-- https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2018/07/dirty-mouth/
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 14:49

BF:

To build good muscle in the body as a whole and the jaw as well.. Dr Wheatbelly, details the consumption of butter and yogurt as muscle makers....

https://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2018...to-arm-wrestle/
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 15:25

BF:

https://www.globalhealingcenter.com...robiotic-foods/

Probiotic Foods to Add to Your Diet
1. Yogurt
One of the best probiotic foods is live-cultured yogurt, especially handmade. Look for brands made from goat’s milk and infused with extra forms of probiotics like lactobacillus or acidophilus. Goat’s milk is a rich source of proteins, vitamins, and minerals while having better digestibility and lower allergenicity than cow’s milk.[1] Goat milk yogurt is particularly high in probiotics like thermophillus, bifudus, and bulgaricus, and can be infused with extra forms of probiotics like lactobacillus or acidophilus.

Be sure to read the ingredients list, as not all yogurt is made equally. Many popular brands are filled with high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, and artificial flavors and are way too close to being a nutritional equivalent of sugary, fatty ice cream.

2. Kefir
Similar to yogurt, this fermented dairy product is a unique combination of goat’s milk and fermented kefir grains. High in lactobacilli and bifidus bacteria, kefir is also rich in antioxidants. Look for a good, organic version at your local health food shop.

Similar to yogurt, this fermented dairy product is a unique combination of goat’s milk and fermented kefir grains. High in lactobacilli and bifidus bacteria, kefir is also rich in antioxidants.[2] Look for a good, organic version at your local health food shop.

3. Sauerkraut
Made from fermented cabbage (and sometimes other vegetables), sauerkraut is not only extremely rich in healthy live cultures, but might also help with reducing allergy symptoms. Sauerkraut is also rich in vitamins A, B, C, and K.[3]

4. Dark Chocolate
Chocolate itself doesn’t contain probiotics, but it was found to be a very effective carrier for probiotics. Chocolate helps them survive the extreme pHs of the digestive tract to make it to the colon.[4] Because of this protective ability probiotics can be added to high-quality dark chocolate. This is only one of the many health benefits of chocolate.

5. Microalgae
This refers to super-food ocean-based plants such as spirulina, chlorella, and blue-green algae. While not a probiotic itself, microalgae can act as a prebiotic, which means that it feeds and nourishes the probiotics already in your gut. These prebiotic foods have been shown to increase beneficial bacteria and improve gastrointestinal health.[5] They also offer the most amount of energetic return, per ounce, for the human system.

Probiotic Foods - Miso

6. Miso Soup
Miso is one the mainstays of traditional Japanese medicine and is commonly used in macrobiotic cooking as a digestive regulator. Made from fermented rye, beans, rice or barley, adding a tablespoon of miso to some hot water makes an excellent, quick, probiotic-rich soup, full of lactobacilli and bifidus bacteria.[6]

Beyond its important live cultures, miso is extremely nutrient-dense and believed to help neutralize the effects of environmental pollution, alkalinize the body and stop the effects of carcinogens in the system.[7]

7. Pickles
Believe it or not, the provincial pickle packs a punch of prime probiotics.[8] In the U.S., the term “pickle” usually refers to pickled cucumbers specifically, but most vegetables can be pickled. All of them boast the same briny goodness and probiotic potential.

8. Tempeh
A great substitute for meat or tofu, tempeh is a fermented, probiotic-rich grain made from soybeans.[9] A great source of vitamin B12,[10] this vegetarian food can be sauteed, baked or eaten crumbled on salads. If prepared correctly, tempeh is also very low in salt, which makes it an ideal choice for those on a low-sodium diet.

9. Kimchi
An Asian form of pickled sauerkraut, kimchi is an extremely spicy and sour fermented cabbage, typically served alongside meals in Korea. Besides beneficial bacteria, Kimchi is also a great source of vitamin C, B vitamins, beta-carotene, calcium, iron, potassium, and dietary fiber.[11] Kimchi is one of the best probiotic foods you can add to your diet, assuming you can handle the spice, of course.

10. Kombucha Tea
Kombucha is a form of fermented tea that contains a high amount of healthy gut bacteria.[12] This probiotic drink has been used for centuries and is believed to help increase your energy, enhance your well-being and maybe even help you lose weight.[13] However, kombucha tea may not be the best fit for everyone, especially those that have had problems with candida.

Probiotic Supplements
For excellent digestive health, fill your diet with as many prebiotic and probiotic foods as possible. I additionally recommend taking a good probiotic supplement. I recommend Floratrex™, a unique formula of 23 probiotic strains that helps support your digestive tract and boosts your immune system.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 17:50

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Possibly goes without saying, but those sauerkraut and pickles can't be the canned or bottled stuff on the room-temperature grocery store shelf that's been sterilized for shelf-life. I've tried making my own goat milk yogurt and kefir. They both got sour alright, but for some reason goat milk, even raw stuff, didn't ever really thicken like cow's milk did. And pasteurized goat milk did in my kefir grains. Not sure why, since even cheap low quality cow's milk didn't. Strange. Home made sauerkraut is relatively easy to make, though. Lots of recipes out there.
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 18:27

BF:

Yes, live little organisms cannot be heat treated.

However, I found a couple sources that said K2 is not destroyed by heat so that part is still good, though I expect heat treatment lowers the amount.

Strange how the results were not consistent.Did it taste good anyway??
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 19:46

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yes, it tasted like it was supposed to for goat milk. I'm visiting family in Wisconsin right now and find it ironic in "America's Dairy Capital" that raw milk isn't allowed here. In Texas we have both cow and goat milk within a 40 or so minute drive, but I haven't been using fluid milks for quite awhile out of concern for how much carbohydrate might still be left in the home fermented product. Their family used to buy raw milk in Utah before moving here and said they had lots less cavities there and more here, the effect of which they attribute to no ability to obtain raw milk.
Edit: I looked up out of curiosity and apparently Wisconsin does allow sale right at the farm like Texas, just no raw milk farms in this area (maybe only one farm in the entire state) so no raw milk.

Last edited by Zei : Tue, Jul-31-18 at 19:59.
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 20:58

BF:

Im all for raw milk as it is more healthful by all accounts. Just need more of them. Hard to pass the inspections required as the government frowns on raw milk.

Still waiting for a farm nearby to reopen..... off to check if anything has changed.
  #116   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 07:58

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Have been reading up on baking soda as a homemade toothpaste ingredient. Turns out the RDA (relative dentin abrasivity) of baking soda is very low:

007 baking soda
068 Colgate
095 Crest
165 Colgate Tartar Control
200 FDA limit

White teeth is the last thing that I worry about. I tried calcium carbonate with coconut oil and can't get past the taste. Baking soda and coconut oil is pleasant, and I subscribe to the use only the thumb and pointer finger when brushing, so I don't put a whole lot of pressure. I also try to avoid brushing on the gum line, as I always tooth blot after anyway.

Abrasiveness Index of Common Toothpastes

Is Baking Soda a Good Alternative Toothpaste? 7-11-2013

Understanding abrasivity

When a toothpaste is produced it must get FDA approval before it can be sold to the public. One of the tests that is conducted before its approval is to determine its RDA value (radioactive dentin abrasion or relative dentin abrasivity). To determine the RDA value of toothpaste, the lab tester begins with an extracted human or cow tooth. The tooth is irradiated in a neutron flux, mounted in methylmethacrylate (bone glue), stripped of its enamel, inserted into a brushing-machine, and brushed by ADA standards (reference toothbrush, 150g pressure, 1500 strokes, 4-to-1 water-toothpaste slurry). The radioactivity of the rinsewater is then measured and recorded. For experimental control, the test is repeated with an ADA reference toothpaste made of calcium pryophosphate, with this measurement given a value of 100 to calibrate the relative scale. (2)

Last edited by s93uv3h : Thu, Aug-02-18 at 08:04.
  #117   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 09:08

BF:

Very interesting to see their method of testing. And baking soda is very very low, surprizing. I rather like the salty taste.

Both kids had dental appoinments yesterday. Just cleanings. Oldest had lost his tooth a day ago, after a long agrrivating time of it loose and hanging on. Hygenist asked to take xray to verify the adult tooth was coming in as he is a bit old to loose teeth. HOWEVER, my son can feel the tooth thru the gum-- but hygenist wanted an xray. Even I can see the tooth, just looking at the gum.

I forgot to ask them to NOT put on flouride. Why do they persist in this nonsense.
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 10:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Reading back to Zei's comments about raw milk, I think if they sell it from a farm, the Feds require it to be labeled for animal consumption only.
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 10:58

BF:

Here raw milk is legal to sell IF the farm is inspected and licenced. Otherwise the understanding is that it is for animal use. wink-wink.

HOnestly, raw milk does require extra care in production and in handling during milking and storage.
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-18, 15:07
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Hum, I was always told "everyone knows" baking soda will sandpaper your teeth. So much for "common knowledge"
I sometimes use baking soda + calcium carbonate in a 50% ratio with lemon juice added to make a paste. Peppermint, clove or other oils like mint could be added.