Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 04:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Organuary 2020: Minimise Waste, Maximise Nutrition

Organuary 2020

Minimise Waste, Maximise Nutrition

http://organuary.com/

Quote:
Organuary provides an opportunity to focus on including organ meats in your diet throughout the month of January. Organ meats used to be a mainstay of our diets but now rarely show up on the dinner table. In our hunter-gatherer days, organ meats were highly prized because of how satisfying they were. We now know that organ meats are some of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet, particularly considering how cheap they are to buy. With that in mind, we're on a mission to bring organ meats back to our tables to minimise waste and maximise nutrition.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 05:08

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I happen to love the chicken liver pate offered at Jewish delicatessens. Unfortunately we don't have one where I live. I have tried making it myself with disastrous results.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 06:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Try this easy recipe. Pasture raised chicken is best, maybe that makes the difference in taste? https://balancedbites.com/content/e...ken-liver-pate/
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 06:44

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Try this easy recipe. Pasture raised chicken is best, maybe that makes the difference in taste? https://balancedbites.com/content/e...ken-liver-pate/

That is not a traditional Jewish recipe although it no doubt tastes good. Here's a traditional Jewish recipe for chopped chicken liver.

https://andrewzimmern.com/2017/12/1...-chicken-liver/

It is always made with grated hard boiled eggs and sautéed livers. It is not the consistency of pate but more coarsely chopped. I grew up eating this, a staple at all holiday meals.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 07:33

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Thanks, Jean and Janet.
I will try both.
Or - alternatively - I can get a friend who loves to cook and experiment to make it for me with these recipes.
I would, of course, buy all the ingredients and observe what she does for future reference
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 13:49

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I look forward to seeing responses. I quite like the "odd bits", and am always on the lookout for new ways to cook them.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 14:30

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
I look forward to seeing responses. I quite like the "odd bits", and am always on the lookout for new ways to cook them.

I get raw beef heart, grind it in the food processor and then stir fry it in coconut oil with vegetables. I quite like it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 22:06

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

We use everything.... even if it goes to a dog or chicken. Waste not, want not.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 22:59

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
We use everything.... even if it goes to a dog or chicken. Waste not, want not.

As I have recorded elsewhere, a friend's brother in law also "uses' everything, tossing the innards from the sheep he butchers into the woods "for the bear". Several years ago I asked my friend, who asked her BIL, and now he tosses the innards at me instead of into the woods. Lucky me. Though I think my friend is a bit bemused (and probably her BIL as well )
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 23:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

The intestines make great sausage casing!!

You have a good deal going!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 05:14

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I really like chicken livers, always have. I loved it on the rare occasions my mother would roast a chicken when I was a kid, because she'd simmer the giblets to make a tasty broth for gravy. She didn't make giblet gravy though, she'd pull the giblets out of the broth before making the gravy, since I was the only one in the family who wanted to actually eat the giblets.

Every now and then I start to crave chicken livers, so I'll buy some, saute them in butter, and enjoy them over the next couple of days.

I suspect the reason I crave them is their excellent folate content, since I generally only crave them when I slack off on eating leafy green veggies. If I eat some green leafies for a few days, the craving goes away, stop eating them again for a few days, the craving comes back.

Having said that, I either need to cook up the bags of spinach that are sitting in the fridge, or go buy some chicken livers. Either one is fine, but since I don't have the spinach cooked and ready to eat, I'm still thinking about chicken livers.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 05:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I wish I could get past my dislike of organ meats. I tried chicken liver several different ways, including a recipe here that was suggested for people who normally hate liver. I tried two different brands of store-bought liver pate. BLECH. Luckily, I had a German Shepherd who was happy to take it off my hands, so I chopped it up and froze it as treats.

He was fed a raw diet, and I'd often pick up kidneys. BLECH. They smelled like pee.

I'd buy him tripe from the pet food section. BLECH. They smelled like poo.

At least the dog was darn healthy!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 05:46
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Default Organ meats I like

I like to get pkgs of chicken hearts and gizzards and make soup with them... or add them to chili.

Liverwurst is made with organ meats.. quite good and easy to eat..
Beef heart - sliced and grilled... easy peasy and delicious

Oxtails are wonderful and fatty, although they are pretty expensive for bone food.

Cow feet.. chicken feet, duck feet.. make excellent bone broths full of gelatin.

Pig ears and pig tails.. chef’s are known to make tacos with this meat.. Sean Brock from South Carolina has a couple of cook books out where he uses pig ears in lettuce wraps..

Pigs feet.. always a great piece of animal to cook and chew on.. you can even buy this in grocery stores, already cooked and brined.

Pig head.. makes excellent head cheese. Pick the meat off the head and put into soups and chili.

Cow/veal tongue.. tender, delicious, gourmet. Many recipes available online for tongue.

Chicken livers.. unless it has dry sherry in the recipe.. i find this unappealing. Acquired taste for chicken livers is a definite.

Sweet breads.. excellent French recipes for this wonderful delicacy..
Brains.. some people like brains in scrambled eggs..

Beef cheeks.. texture is like brisket.. very tasty and fatty.. needs to be cooked low and slow to make it tender.. one of my favorite cuts of meat.

These are the organ meats I am accustomed to preparing and eating.
Lots of wonderful cuts of meat to enjoy..

Last edited by PilotGal : Wed, Jan-01-20 at 07:05.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 06:00

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I wish I could get past my dislike of organ meats. I tried chicken liver several different ways, including a recipe here that was suggested for people who normally hate liver. I tried two different brands of store-bought liver pate. BLECH. Luckily, I had a German Shepherd who was happy to take it off my hands, so I chopped it up and froze it as treats.

He was fed a raw diet, and I'd often pick up kidneys. BLECH. They smelled like pee.

I'd buy him tripe from the pet food section. BLECH. They smelled like poo.

At least the dog was darn healthy!

I think liking liver has to be something you start eating when you're very young in order to really like them. I also like beef liver and turkey liver, just not as much as I like chicken livers.

I remember reading somewhere that there could be some kind of body/brain connection between cravings and where our body is used to getting a certain nutrient, and I think that has something to do with why I like chicken livers so much, since I was quite young when I started eating them, since we didn't have much in the way of green leafy veggies when I was growing up, so livers were probably one of the few sources of folate in my diet. Sure, we had "veggies" every day - green beans, peas, lima beans, and occasionally corn, which would have provided some folate, but leafy veggies were very rare when I was growing up. Still, in comparison the occasional chicken liver was a powerhouse of a folate source.

I noticed a similar thing many years ago when I was eating very little meat, and no eggs. during the "fat makes you fat/cholesterol will kill you deader than dead" dark ages of my life. During those years, I would often crave black olives. It's not that olives are actually a good source of iron, but they're canned with ferrous gluconate, which at least provided a tiny bit of poorly absorbed iron in my very low meat, carb heavy diet. At a time when I was trying my best to avoid meat and eggs, apparently my brain was telling me that olives were the best source of iron I'd had in years.

Hard to tell what other foods I've craved that are high in some nutrient I wasn't getting an adequate supply of when I was eating so many carbs, those are just the ones that stick in my mind.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 13:54

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

There is a fabulous cookbook called Nose to Tail Eating: A Kind of British Cooking by Fergus Henderson

Quote:
Fergus Henderson caused something of a sensation when he opened his restaurant St. JOHN in London in 1995. Set in a former smokehouse near Smithfield meat market, its striking, high-ceilinged white interior provides a dramatic setting for food of dazzling boldness and simplicity. As signalled by the restaurant's logo of a pig (reproduced on the cover of Nose to Tail Eating) and appropriately given the location, at St John the emphasis is firmly on meat. And not the noisettes, fillets, magrets and so forth of standard restaurant portion-control, all piled up into little towers in the middle of the plate: Henderson serves up the inner organs of beasts and fowls in big, exhilarating dishes that combine high sophistication with peasant roughness. Nose to Tail Eating is a collection of these recipes, celebrating, as the title implies, the thrifty rural British tradition of making a delicious virtue of using every part of the animal. This new edition, beautifully redesigned, comes with an introduction by Anthony Bourdain.
His restaurant is not far from where I work, so in the spirit of Organuary, I might have to go for lunch