Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 17:08

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default just diagnosed....

I am trying not to be depressed, but have been diagnosed with elevated thyroid antibodies. My endocrinologist wants to see me again and do even more tests. I am scared to google it to see what they do. My brother does have Hashimoto's and so I guess this will just be another of several endocrine problems I now have.

How does this affect losing weight on Atkin's? Many of you know I have been on plan since the middle of January and have only lost about 5 to 7 pounds.

Are other plans better with this condition?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 18:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Are other plans better with this condition?

No. Having hypothyroid means losing weight is going to be very difficult. Just settle in and plan to maintain until your thyroid is properly treated. If you stop dieting you're quite likely to gain weight really fast, so stick to it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-07-09, 20:43
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
I am trying not to be depressed, but have been diagnosed with elevated thyroid antibodies. My endocrinologist wants to see me again and do even more tests. I am scared to google it to see what they do. My brother does have Hashimoto's and so I guess this will just be another of several endocrine problems I now have.

I'm really sorry to hear this, but I hope treatment will soon have you on the right path. I have an appointment with an Endo in mid-May, and am looking forward to a specific diagnosis - and treatment - since without that it's all guesswork.

As to what/how to eat - what is working well for me now is following Kwasneiwski's Optimal Diet (you can Google it), which has seriously upped my fat (and thus calories) a lot, upped my carbs a bit, and seriously lowered my protein intake. This has actually broken a 2-year scale weight loss, while accelerating my body fat loss.

I thought trying to eat so much fat (and so little protein) would be hard, but the truth is after I got the hang of it I felt better than ever - great, in fact, with lots more energy. As if this is the way I should have been eating all along. And who can argue with a diet that lets me snack on butter and eat a cloud of whipped cream every day.

With a compromised metabolism my body was struggling to process all that protein, but due to my weight training and increased muscle mass, the fat just seems to go there to be used immediately. This leaves my body with a 'deficit' for its other needs, so my stored body fat is being burned up as well. I'm never hungry, but never feel 'stuffed' either. Kind of like Goldilocks; it's finally just right.

Hang in there - it will get better!

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 12:40

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

This may not be for everyone, but I recommend trying a yeast-free, gluten-free diet. Both yeast and gluten are often linked to autoimmune diseases.

I feel better on the diet, and I'm losing weight even though that wasn't my goal. I'm actually at a point where I'm afraid I'll end up too thin.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 13:50

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Does increased thyroid antibodies mean a lower thryoid count? I thought at first, you meant you had elevated thyroid, but that doesn't jive with the comments you've received.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 14:12

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Does increased thyroid antibodies mean a lower thryoid count? I thought at first, you meant you had elevated thyroid, but that doesn't jive with the comments you've received.

If she does have Hashies, it will start out hyper, then go hypo. Such a frustrating disorder for sure!

To the OP, hang in there! It really stinks that you have this problem, my daughter was just diagnosed and she has a 2 year old son and a 6 month old son. She was bummed to get the diagnosis but so relieved to be on the path to getting some relief. She has gleaned so much info from some very educational forums on the web; people who are living it who have all kinds of experience to share, questions to ask doctors, diet, etc.... Very, very helpful.

Good luck! Don't be discouraged, you're not gonna let this stupid disorder kick YOUR butt!! No way!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 14:58

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn

The antibodies are usually indicative of an autoimmune thyroid disease. The antibodies attack one's thyroid, usually causing hypothyroidism eventually.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 15:19

BF:

Thanks all for your replies! I think I will just hang in there and stick to Atkin's until I start the meds. I have only lost a little, but did lose down to a size 6 and have easily maintained that so I will just live with the few extra pounds for now. I thought about trying South Beach and actually did it for one whole day (signed up and everything) but realized with my reactive hypoglycemia, the menu selections weren't good. I currently have some problems with lactose, wheat, and fructose plus I hate beans and fish. So, IMO, that didn't seem like a good plan for me PLUS I was very hungry without the fat.

The good news is my TSH is still normal, so I am hoping that means we caught this early. I am reading about selenium and wondering if I should start the supplements before my appointment? WHat do ya'll think?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 15:23

BF:

OH YES - AWRITER - I just started reading GCBC. I have to admit it is not exactly a page turner. I have finished chapter one and have had to put it down for a while. Are there any chapters you think are more important or more interesting than others? I've had textbooks that were more engaging! Too bad there isn't a DVD! LOL!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 18:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
OH YES - AWRITER - I just started reading GCBC. I have to admit it is not exactly a page turner. I have finished chapter one and have had to put it down for a while. Are there any chapters you think are more important or more interesting than others? I've had textbooks that were more engaging! Too bad there isn't a DVD! LOL!

The section starting with Obesity going to the end is much easier reading.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
I just started reading GCBC. I have to admit it is not exactly a page turner. Too bad there isn't a DVD! LOL!

Taubes got enough complaints like that to make him start writing a 'simplified' version. Should be out in a year or two.

But - although I admit that getting through the first 4 chapters was tough-going for me and many others - hang in there. The later chapters actually do become page-turners, fueled in part, I'm guessing, by the anger most people feel by page 100 or so.

Lisa